Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key Pairing Issues (OnePlus)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon delivery of my Model 3, I attempted to pair my OnePlus 2 phone (Android-based OxygenOS 3.6.1 using Android 6.0.1) with the car, but after searching for several minutes, it would never connect. The technicians and I tried every scenario under the Sun regarding resetting Bluetooth and location services, restarting/reinstalling the Tesla App, rebooting the phone, verifying all permissions were enabled, etc. My girlfriend owns a OnePlus 1 phone (Android-based CyanogenOS 13.1 using Android 6.0.1) but ran into the same problem when trying to connect hers. We also tried connecting with one of the technician's phones with Android 7 and it worked fine, so i know it's possible.

After taking the car home, I rooted my phone with Lineage OS to see if getting past Android 6 would help, but now my phone won't even try to connect as a key, it just displays an error message "Your phone key was not set up correctly. Please delete and re-install the app". As you can guess, i tried reinstalling along with a slew of other troubleshooting, but always the same error message.

The classic Bluetooth functionality works perfectly fine with my phone (syncing contacts, making calls, music, etc.); but setting up the phone as a key has not worked on either of my OnePlus phones. I believe the phone key connectivity relies on Bluetooth Low-Energy working in tandem with location services, which is why it may be so difficult to set up with at custom ROM

My pipe dream is to find a solution to allow my rooted phone to connect as a key to the car, but I don't see that very likely (perhaps a question for the rooting community). I have been contemplating getting a new phone for a while now, rather than replacing my old dying battery, but if I'm worried that I might run into the same problems if I get another OnePlus phone. As you can tell, I love their phones, but I have to go with one that I know will work as a phone key.

Does anyone here have a OnePlus phone newer than the OnePlus 2 that connects as a phone key to their Model 3?

Upon delivery of my Model 3, I attempted to pair my OnePlus 2 phone (Android-based OxygenOS 3.6.1 using Android 6.0.1) with the car, but after searching for several minutes, it would never connect. The technicians and I tried every scenario under the Sun regarding resetting Bluetooth and location services, restarting/reinstalling the Tesla App, rebooting the phone, verifying all permissions were enabled, etc. My girlfriend owns a OnePlus 1 phone (Android-based CyanogenOS 13.1 using Android 6.0.1) but ran into the same problem when trying to connect hers. We also tried connecting with one of the technician's phones with Android 7 and it worked fine, so i know it's possible.

After taking the car home, I rooted my phone with Lineage OS to see if getting past Android 6 would help, but now my phone won't even try to connect as a key, it just displays an error message "Your phone key was not set up correctly. Please delete and re-install the app". As you can guess, i tried reinstalling along with a slew of other troubleshooting, but always the same error message.

The classic Bluetooth functionality works perfectly fine with my phone (syncing contacts, making calls, music, etc.); but setting up the phone as a key has not worked on either of my OnePlus phones. I believe the phone key connectivity relies on Bluetooth Low-Energy working in tandem with location services, which is why it may be so difficult to set up with at custom ROM

My pipe dream is to find a solution to allow my rooted phone to connect as a key to the car, but I don't see that very likely (perhaps a question for the rooting community). I have been contemplating getting a new phone for a while now, rather than replacing my old dying battery, but if I'm worried that I might run into the same problems if I get another OnePlus phone. As you can tell, I love their phones, but I have to go with one that I know will work as a phone key.

Does anyone here have a OnePlus phone newer than the OnePlus 2 that connects as a phone key to their Model 3?
Oneplus 3T working perfectly here....

Upon delivery of my Model 3, I attempted to pair my OnePlus 2 phone (Android-based OxygenOS 3.6.1 using Android 6.0.1) with the car, but after searching for several minutes, it would never connect. ...

I'm in the same boat. I got a OnePlus 2 that had the original version of Oxygen on it from when they first came out. Trying to setup the key, it would just sit there spinning. Because of that I also decided to upgrade my OS to Lineage. I'm running 15.1-20180423 nightly. My phone is rooted. And now I'm also getting the same message "Your phone key was not set up correctly. Please delete and re-install the app", which is how I found this forum entry.

I talked to Tesla support last week and they suggested a few things none of which helped:

Cycle airplane mode on->off.
Delete and re-pair on the car and phone side.
Restart Tesla (scroll wheels press+hold) and phone.
Disable energy saving mode.
Enable location permission.
Allow "Modify System Settings".

The support person said if they tried to escalate this problem to customer support engineering, one of the first things they would make sure is that the phone has a stock ROM and is not rooted. It seems more likely that there is a BLE problem with the OnePlus 2 Bluetooth drivers or so rather than a failure because of a Tesla app security check (via the SafetyNet API) to see if the phone has been tampered with.

I noticed one error in the system log during installation of the Tesla app: the process UserRestrictionsUtils logged "Unknown Restriction: com.teslamotors.tesla". But I don't know if that would cause any problems after installation or if the same thing gets logged on a phone that works as key.

Sometime in the next few weeks I'll try a more current Lineage OS Oreo version to see if that fixes the problem. I'm also still hoping that a Tesla app update may fix it. I doubt there will ever be a fix for this phone if it is a problem in the OnePlus firmware.

Did anyone ever come to any conclusions here? I am still using the Oneplus One! Everything with the car and the phone works fine except Phone As A Key.

The solution is to get a new phone.

I had a Google Pixel 1 that was only around one year old when I got the car and spent most of my early time on this forum complaining about the phone-key, troubleshooting the phone-key, and posting workarounds with third party apps to try to get the phone-key to work. After upgrading to a Pixel 3, my phone-key problems were completely gone and there have been no failures that I can't explain by user error. It's life-changing when it just works as intended.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr.Chipperson
The solution is to get a new phone.

I had a Google Pixel 1 that was only around one year old when I got the car and spent most of my early time on this forum complaining about the phone-key, troubleshooting the phone-key, and posting workarounds with third party apps to try to get the phone-key to work. After upgrading to a Pixel 3, my phone-key problems were completely gone and there have been no failures that I can't explain by user error. It's life-changing when it just works as intended.
Ya, I came to that conclusion too. I ordered a Oneplus 7t for only $349 shipped. Should be a big difference from the Oneplus One.