Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pick Up in San Francisco or Fremont?

Pick up in San Francisco or Fremont?

• San Francisco - short distance transport no big deal

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Fremont - avoid possible transport damage

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Small matter, definitely #FWP, but I am undecided: I got the text that my Model Y is ready to be delivered. I had set it up to take delivery in San Francisco, about 25 minutes drive. Earliest date is this Thursday. I might be able to switch it to Fremont, about 50 minutes away.

I had the same options with my Model 3 last November. I opted for Fremont, mainly to avoid possible transport damage. They truck the cars to SF, but in Fremont they are driven a couple miles to the delivery center.

I don't mind the extra drive, but is it really necessary? What are the odds that damage could occur with trucking, even for the ~40 miles to SF? There is also to possibility that switching delivery location at the last minute might screw things up.

Help me decide please. What would you do?

Fremont is better. I picked up my Tesla in 2018 from there. They have more staff there and any minor issue can be addressed there by the technicians. Not sure what is the staffing and technician availability in San Francisco

Small matter, definitely #FWP, but I am undecided: I got the text that my Model Y is ready to be delivered. I had set it up to take delivery in San Francisco, about 25 minutes drive. Earliest date is this Thursday. I might be able to switch it to Fremont, about 50 minutes away.

I had the same options with my Model 3 last November. I opted for Fremont, mainly to avoid possible transport damage. They truck the cars to SF, but in Fremont they are driven a couple miles to the delivery center.

I don't mind the extra drive, but is it really necessary? What are the odds that damage could occur with trucking, even for the ~40 miles to SF? There is also to possibility that switching delivery location at the last minute might screw things up.

Help me decide please. What would you do?

I see you're in Marin county. Have you asked Tesla if they allow pickup at the Corte Madera showroom or the San Rafael service center? I'm in Sonoma county and would prefer to avoid the Golden Gate Bridge.

Don't they still provide touchless home delivery? Might be simpler even if it takes an extra day.

Note: If you don't want to drive and have a second driver to bring back you car,
I used the bus #40X which stop at the El Cerrito Bart direct to Warm Spring Fremont and get Uber or Lift.
May be longer but very relaxing, you can read something and the bus has Internet.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rafa2020
I live a rock throw away from the factory and they still wouldnt let me pick up the Y myself back in April as it could have been the total new car experience, red bow ribbon and all.

Consider yourself lucky with the option to pick it up in fremont.

Don't they still provide touchless home delivery? Might be simpler even if it takes an extra day.

Note: If you don't want to drive and have a second driver to bring back you car,
I used the bus #40X which stop at the El Cerrito Bart direct to Warm Spring Fremont and get Uber or Lift.
May be longer but very relaxing, you can read something and the bus has Internet.

I did same with my Model 3. But with Covid, I’m avoiding public transportation right now.