Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my MY Yesterday!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I officially joined the Tesla family and picked up my MY yesterday! Here's my thoughts:

Touchless Delivery:
Pretty simple Was in and out in 15 minutes. I wasn't going to spend 1+ hour there checking everything, but I did want to check the major things in case I had to reject delivery: paint issues, scratches, window cracks, etc. Didn't see anything obvious so I signed the paperworks, gave them final payment via cashier's check, and took off. Since the delivery happened in a parking structure, I wanted to carefully spend my time going through my checklist at home under the sun.

Issues/Problems:
After spending 90 minutes on the car, I definitely notated some issues with quality. ALL the problems I found has been covered in various threads so no real surprises (which I guess is good?)
-paint issues: only found 1 scratch (< 1 inch)
-dirt/fingerprint in interior headliner
-rear seat alignment: the seat height between right and left side were even
-panel gap: definitely found 6-7 places that the panel gap either weren't aligned or weren't flush with the rest of the car.

Overall, I was generally pretty happy with the condition of the car. No mechanical issues, which is the most important IMO. It does suck I had to spend time going over and making a list of all the issues, but I guess that's the price to pay in being an early adopter with brand new model. I already made an appointment with SC to take my car in to have all those issues resolved (hopefully). I look at other youtubers (Ryan Shaw, Ben Sullins) and the issues with their MY, and thankfully, mine weren't as bad as theirs.

Drive:
Keep in mind this is my 1st Tesla. Never driven one before at all. Took a leap of faith (expensive leap of faith) in getting one due to overwhelming positive reviews. That said, I can see what people buy Teslas.
-acceleration: it's ridiculously fast, and I didn't even get a performance version. I originally contemplated about spending the extra $8K, but really glad I didn't. I don't plan on taking this car to the track, and the acceleration is more than I will ever need 95% of the time. I floored it yesterday 4-5 times and every time it felt like a roller coaster. I can't even imagine if it was a P.
-regen brake: I didn't know what to expect. I told myself this is like driving a golf cart. It sorta is, but times 20. It's awesome. Someone in another thread used the phrase "1-pedal driving" and it really is.
-size: from the outside, it looked smaller than I remembered the few times I saw it for on the road, but it's deceptively big and spacious inside. Tons of cargo space and the rear seats have plenty of legroom.
-charging: I charged it for the 1st time last night with my NEMA 14-50. No issues whatsoever as it was charging at 30 mi/hr. I love the fact that I won't have to ever go to the gas station (unless I'm driving my wife's car).
-road noise: it's pretty quiet when you're going <40 mph. You definitely hear more outside noise when you're on the freeway. (My comparison is my Audi Q7 that I drove for the last 4 years.)
-rear visibility window: that was one of my concerns. It's actually not as bad as I expected. Yes it's smaller than my Q7, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. You can also turn on the rear camera on the display screen if necessary.
-Other: when you're standing outside, you can definitely hear the AC/heat pump noise. Is it loud and obnoxious? No, and you don't hear it at all when you're driving. But it's noticeable when you're outside. I'm going to try and have the SC put a insulator when I bring my car in.

Overall, pretty pleased. Yes, it's only been 1 flippin' day, but I can see why people can be so forgiving with their Tesla purchase. Now the next phase is to buy some simple accessories and watch more youtube videos on tips and tricks with this car!

Good luck with everyone that has their upcoming deliveries!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for the review and congrats on the car. I will be like you hopefully this week when mine is supposed to be ready for pick up.

Good luck with the delivery! It's great if we can expect an impeccable car, but I think it's good to have an open mind about things. I do think the negative comments will always be louder than the positives one as people tend to focus on that more, but it's not like Tesla's not going to fix the issues....but I understand people's concerns/expectations about spending $60K+ on a car. To me, as long as it's not mechanical or major paint issues...

Good luck again!

picked mine up Saturday. Vin 12xxx. Absolute disaster. Trunk so misaligned it cracked the taillight. Passenger door sticks out. Passenger window won't operate. Scratch on trunk lid. They will try to repair Thursday and then I need to decide on return before Friday. Coming from a model 3. This was so much worse.

Looks great! Also looks like you are over there by the new High School? Did you pick up from Costa Mesa?
Also, you said you paid with cashier's check. Was that your choice over personal check? I plan to pay with personal check. They accept those right?

Also, if it was indeed Costa Mesa, did you take the front license holder off yourself? Or did they not put it on?

Last edited:
Congrats! I'll see you on the roads of Irvine. By chance, did you change to a TOU plan with SoCal Edison?

I changed to TOU when I installed solar a few months back. If you got any questions let me know. (I did my own install since after doing some research it seemed easy enough and I love tinkering).

By the way SCE is increasing rates by around 14% soon. Here is an email I got from them. The meeting is in a week if you want to call in and listen.

80jVJZh.png

I changed to TOU when I installed solar a few months back. If you got any questions let me know. (I did my own install since after doing some research it seemed easy enough and I love tinkering).

By the way SCE is increasing rates by around 14% soon. Here is an email I got from them. The meeting is in a week if you want to call in and listen.
Yep, got that too. I will send a comment opposing the rate increase, as SCE has really started to screw with EV/Solar customers. But I'm grateful for the $.12/kWh at night.

80jVJZh.png

Thanks! I got this letter too. I'm in the process of getting solar through Tesla and they're currently waiting to hear back on the permit from the City of Irvine. I'm probably going to switch my plan to TOU this week since I'm expecting delivery of my Model Y in the next 3-5 days. I already got the NEMA outlet installed in my garage.

Regarding your question about the license plate frame. I was supposed to take delivery on Sunday in Costa Mesa, but got a last minute call saying the car hadn't arrived yet. Prior to that, I had told my advisor and delivery center (3 times) to not put the front plate on. They said they do not install the front plate mount for Model Y's.

Thanks! I got this letter too. I'm in the process of getting solar through Tesla and they're currently waiting to hear back on the permit from the City of Irvine. I'm probably going to switch my plan to TOU this week since I'm expecting delivery of my Model Y in the next 3-5 days. I already got the NEMA outlet installed in my garage.

Regarding your question about the license plate frame. I was supposed to take delivery on Sunday in Costa Mesa, but got a last minute call saying the car hadn't arrived yet. Prior to that, I had told my advisor and delivery center (3 times) to not put the front plate on. They said they do not install the front plate mount for Model Y's.

Hmm interesting. Ive seen a couple Y's around Irvine already (neighbor has a white one) and all of them have front holder. I am only assuming they are picking up at Costa Mesa.

Regarding TOU. For SCE if you have solar you have to be on TOU. So even if you do not switch it now the switch will happen for you when solar turns on. And yeah permit process takes forever, that was the longest and most annoying part of the whole install. Took me 3 weeks to get the permit after submitting the plans. And that was all before COVID.

Hmm interesting. Ive seen a couple Y's around Irvine already (neighbor has a white one) and all of them have front holder. I am only assuming they are picking up at Costa Mesa.

Regarding TOU. For SCE if you have solar you have to be on TOU. So even if you do not switch it now the switch will happen for you when solar turns on. And yeah permit process takes forever, that was the longest and most annoying part of the whole install. Took me 3 weeks to get the permit after submitting the plans. And that was all before COVID.

Yep, that's why I told them 3x that I don't want the front plate installed. I've found with Tesla it's best to expect the worst, which has proven to be wise on both the car and solar side. Not sure if Buena Park is installing the front plate brackets - they're the only other delivery center in our immediate area. Worst case, I remove the bracket with a hair dryer but I obviously don't want to do that. Curious if OP had to remove it manually...

Looks great! Also looks like you are over there by the new High School? Did you pick up from Costa Mesa?
Also, you said you paid with cashier's check. Was that your choice over personal check? I plan to pay with personal check. They accept those right?

Also, if it was indeed Costa Mesa, did you take the front license holder off yourself? Or did they not put it on?

Yup picked up at the Costa Mesa location. To be exact, I picked it up in Irvine (near MacArthur and Main). They use a office parking structure on the 6th floor for car deliveries. It's so they can practice proper social distancing. The one bad thing is that since it's in a covered parking structure, it's kinda dark so it can be a bit difficult to do a full detailed inspection.

I did pay with cashier's check. Didn't feel comfortable just wiring the money to them prior to delivery in case I had to reject the vehicle. I originally wanted to pay via personal check, but SA said they don't accept that. I guess they're worried about bounced checks? They kept insisting I wire them the money prior to delivery, but I said no. I read in another thread that it can take up to 30 days for them to wire back your money if you reject the vehicle. I figure cashiers check is easier. If I reject the vehicle, I just don't hand them anything. :)

No front license plate installed. I asked about that. They said many people requested to not have that put on, so they just provide that for you separately in the trunk. Hope that helps and good luck with your delivery!

• Informative
Reactions: anon125110

Also, did you have an HOA? I'm debating submitting my plans for HOA approval. Only way I get fined is if someone reports me - but I don't see anyone reporting me. Typical Irvine - lots of renters and vacant homes surround me.

Yup picked up at the Costa Mesa location. To be exact, I picked it up in Irvine (near MacArthur and Main). They use a office parking structure on the 6th floor for car deliveries. It's so they can practice proper social distancing. The one bad thing is that since it's in a covered parking structure, it's kinda dark so it can be a bit difficult to do a full detailed inspection.

I did pay with cashier's check. Didn't feel comfortable just wiring the money to them prior to delivery in case I had to reject the vehicle. I originally wanted to pay via personal check, but SA said they don't accept that. I guess they're worried about bounced checks? They kept insisting I wire them the money prior to delivery, but I said no. I read in another thread that it can take up to 30 days for them to wire back your money if you reject the vehicle. I figure cashiers check is easier. If I reject the vehicle, I just don't hand them anything. :)

No front license plate installed. I asked about that. They said many people requested to not have that put on, so they just provide that for you separately in the trunk. Hope that helps and good luck with your delivery!

My dumb ass agreed to send the funds electronically the night before. No less than 10 hours later they called to re-schedule delivery. So, I've now paid for a car that I don't know when I'll see. Regret. Debated asking for a refund...but I figure Tesla would botch that up too.

Also, did you have an HOA? I'm debating submitting my plans for HOA approval. Only way I get fined is if someone reports me - but I don't see anyone reporting me. Typical Irvine - lots of renters and vacant homes surround me.

No I dont have HOA. So I only had to get the city permit and then inspection. After that you submit a form to SCE and they give you permission to operate. Since you arent doing this yourself it will all be done for you.

Does your HOA require to get permission for solar? Im guessing maybe for looks? Is it on the back of the house where its not visible from the street? I would assume HOA would just have a bunch of rules about it, not like require a written permission.

Shoot, thats a bummer about being dark... cynical part of me says its on purpose o_O so that you hopefully miss imperfections. haha
Does the structure have an exposed top level?

How did it work with pickup? was anyone from Tesla there to open the car for you? Or did you have to accept delivery before being able to inspect inside of the car?

did pay with cashier's check. Didn't feel comfortable just wiring the money to them prior to delivery in case I had to reject the vehicle. I originally wanted to pay via personal check, but SA said they don't accept that. I guess they're worried about bounced checks? They kept insisting I wire them the money prior to delivery, but I said no. I read in another thread that it can take up to 30 days for them to wire back your money if you reject the vehicle. I figure cashiers check is easier. If I reject the vehicle, I just don't hand them anything. :)
This is another case of absolute misinformation! From Tesla's own site:
What are the accepted methods of payment?
  1. Electronic check (direct debit) in your Tesla Account.
  2. Wire transfer.
  3. Personal or cashier's check at time of pick-up, with your Reservation Number (RN) and name in the memo line.

• Informative
Reactions: anon125110
Shoot, thats a bummer about being dark... cynical part of me says its on purpose o_O so that you hopefully miss imperfections. haha
Does the structure have an exposed top level?

How did it work with pickup? was anyone from Tesla there to open the car for you? Or did you have to accept delivery before being able to inspect inside of the car?
I'm going to bring my high intensity LED work light. :)