Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my MY Yesterday!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I dont have HOA. So I only had to get the city permit and then inspection. After that you submit a form to SCE and they give you permission to operate. Since you arent doing this yourself it will all be done for you.

Does your HOA require to get permission for solar? Im guessing maybe for looks? Is it on the back of the house where its not visible from the street? I would assume HOA would just have a bunch of rules about it, not like require a written permission.

Oh, I see..lucky you. Yes, I have an HOA. Their requirements are that it has to be in a rectangular array and that conduit piping needs to be color matched. The problem is the $250 "processing fee" and $500 deposit, along with the 4 week turnaround time on the application. The panels will be on the back of the home (not visible from street) and the panel and converter would also be hidden from plain view.

Oh, I see..lucky you. Yes, I have an HOA. Their requirements are that it has to be in a rectangular array and that conduit piping needs to be color matched. The problem is the $250 "processing fee" and $500 deposit, along with the 4 week turnaround time on the application. The panels will be on the back of the home (not visible from street) and the panel and converter would also be hidden from plain view.
I hate HOAs. Especially mine. :mad: They want an Architecture Committee application to, get this, install a Ring doorbell. Oh yeah, $175 application fee, which ironically is more than the damn doorbell.

In fairness, they did approve the solar panel installation without raising my BP.

Color matching conduit is city of irvine requirement, you will fail the inspection if you don’t paint it. But that’s like 5 minutes of work. I have shingle roof, painted it black with outdoor latex based paint. And the run by the breaker panel with the same paint I used on the stucco.

Shoot, thats a bummer about being dark... cynical part of me says its on purpose o_O so that you hopefully miss imperfections. haha
Does the structure have an exposed top level?

How did it work with pickup? was anyone from Tesla there to open the car for you? Or did you have to accept delivery before being able to inspect inside of the car?

When I got there and checked in, they pointed me to where my car was and said to give it a few minutes for them to sync up my car with the Tesla app. As I approached my car, the app did sync and unlocked the doors. After that, I spent around 20 minutes inspecting the car for major issues. There is a top level, but none of the cars were parked there. Most cars were parked on the level below that. Was it dark? No, but it would be nice to park it outside under the sun so we can do a full inspection. I figure as long as there weren't any crazy issues, I would be doing my full detailed inspection at home. I did take lots of pictures at home and already made an appointment with the SC for July (that's their 1st available opening).

As with any help from the Tesla folks, NOPE. They're probably just hourly workers that's just instructed to get you outta there as soon as possible. But to answer your question, yes I was definitely able to inspect the car prior to accepting delivery. The paperworks are in the car and turn them in when you drive off. So if you don't accept delivery, you basically just don't sign anything.

They actually sent me the address via text. From what I can tell, it looks like your standard office or mall parking structure. Mine is a White one - so I was hoping for a lot of natural light so I can see if there are paint shade matching issues as has been seen on those.

I changed to TOU when I installed solar a few months back. If you got any questions let me know. (I did my own install since after doing some research it seemed easy enough and I love tinkering).

By the way SCE is increasing rates by around 14% soon. Here is an email I got from them. The meeting is in a week if you want to call in and listen.

80jVJZh.png
Isn't there an EV-specific TOU rate, not just a home TOU rate where the EV off-peak way outperforms the home TOU off-peak?

Isn't there an EV-specific TOU rate, not just a home TOU rate where the EV off-peak way outperforms the home TOU off-peak?

Yes, but you cant just take the EV into considering, especially if you can charge during the day (like on weekends) to pull directly from Solar. You gotta take your household usage into account too. Like what hours of the day you pull from the grid and how much you pull. I did the math and the EV specific TOU for me would not be as good as the standard TOU. The rates are here - Time-Of-Use Residential Rate Plans

At first glance the EV one seems like a better deal, but then you notice it doesnt have the built in the base line credit which makes the prices on non EV TOU cheaper by 8 cents. And EV one has a higher daily minimum charge.

once you have at least 8 months of TOU usage you can use SCE's own website to see if you would have paid less with any of the other ones. At this point I only have 3 months, so Ill do that check in another 5 months. But if my spreadsheets are correct (and I have all reasons to believe they are) the EV TOU would be worse for my usage.

Also having solar, you are credited with same prices as you would pay. So if EV TOU kwh is cheaper that means you get less money for each kwh you push over to SCE. That part becomes a wash. And for pulling at night (assuming you overproduce) its same price regardless of TOU type (1.1c per kWH). Meaning EV becomes moot, but what becomes important is all of your other usage.

• Informative
Reactions: AndersT
Yup picked up at the Costa Mesa location. To be exact, I picked it up in Irvine (near MacArthur and Main). They use a office parking structure on the 6th floor for car deliveries. It's so they can practice proper social distancing. The one bad thing is that since it's in a covered parking structure, it's kinda dark so it can be a bit difficult to do a full detailed inspection.

I did pay with cashier's check. Didn't feel comfortable just wiring the money to them prior to delivery in case I had to reject the vehicle. I originally wanted to pay via personal check, but SA said they don't accept that. I guess they're worried about bounced checks? They kept insisting I wire them the money prior to delivery, but I said no. I read in another thread that it can take up to 30 days for them to wire back your money if you reject the vehicle. I figure cashiers check is easier. If I reject the vehicle, I just don't hand them anything. :)

No front license plate installed. I asked about that. They said many people requested to not have that put on, so they just provide that for you separately in the trunk. Hope that helps and good luck with your delivery!

I got more info on the front plate. I ask about it every time I call the delivery center so I keep learning more. Installing is at the discretion of the delivery center and Costa Mesa does not install the front plate bracket on the Model Y. However, the car may come to Costa Mesa with a front plate bracket already installed - meaning that it had a pit stop at a different delivery center. It doesn't mean the car was refused by another customer - just that the car was initially intended for a sale at a different location and ultimately re-routed to Costa Mesa.

• Informative
Reactions: anon125110
Yup picked up at the Costa Mesa location. To be exact, I picked it up in Irvine (near MacArthur and Main). They use a office parking structure on the 6th floor for car deliveries. It's so they can practice proper social distancing. The one bad thing is that since it's in a covered parking structure, it's kinda dark so it can be a bit difficult to do a full detailed inspection.

I did pay with cashier's check. Didn't feel comfortable just wiring the money to them prior to delivery in case I had to reject the vehicle. I originally wanted to pay via personal check, but SA said they don't accept that. I guess they're worried about bounced checks? They kept insisting I wire them the money prior to delivery, but I said no. I read in another thread that it can take up to 30 days for them to wire back your money if you reject the vehicle. I figure cashiers check is easier. If I reject the vehicle, I just don't hand them anything. :)

No front license plate installed. I asked about that. They said many people requested to not have that put on, so they just provide that for you separately in the trunk. Hope that helps and good luck with your delivery!
Hey, quick question: I got a text last night showing my delivery will be at the "Irvine Express Delivery" center. The profile page for the MY order still shows delivery at the Costa Mesa delivery center in spite of my "YES" response to the text finalizing the delivery details.

What's the exact address of the "Irvine Express Delivery" center?

Hey, quick question: I got a text last night showing my delivery will be at the "Irvine Express Delivery" center. The profile page for the MY order still shows delivery at the Costa Mesa delivery center in spite of my "YES" response to the text finalizing the delivery details.

What's the exact address of the "Irvine Express Delivery" center?

The address is 17892 Gillette Ave, Irvine. It's on the 6th floor. I think they only text the physical address the day of delivery or day prior to delivery. Not sure why they're so secretive about exact location. Anyways, good luck with your delivery!

The address is 17892 Gillette Ave, Irvine. It's on the 6th floor. I think they only text the physical address the day of delivery or day prior to delivery. Not sure why they're so secretive about exact location. Anyways, good luck with your delivery!
I'm not sure they're being secretive about it. They might change the location and they probably don't want the wrong address floating around on the interwebs.