Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up X last night and...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled into driveway and got an error message, limited A/C battery cooling contact Tesla service. Needless to say a flat bed is on its way to pick it up. Pretty upset, sad got to drive it once. 44 mi. Took a leap on Tesla and now beginning to second guess myself anyone else. Anyone else get this error?

To make it even worse they are closed until Tuesday.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171229_190037.jpg
    MVIMG_20171229_190037.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 290
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Awesome. Thank you so so much. I was hoping it was an easy fix. Unfortunately as you mentioned it's a holiday so it now sits in Tesla's lot till Tuesday. Happy New Year. Just means 2018 will be that much more enjoyable

When you get a chance could you let us know what the issue was? I’m looking to take delivery in a few weeks and these type of teething issues are making me very nervous especially with this being the primary family hauler.

Hookem, you need to take forum complaints with a grain of salt. I believe the new Xs are much more refined. Still probably a little more trouble prone than say BMW--but they have had 100+ years of production experience. Fact is that most X owners have a pretty trouble free experience and love the car to death. All forums of manufacturing tend to be heavy with those minority experiencing problems. Anything system-wide, Tesla is on it pretty quickly. I had a BMW i3 and that forum sitet was also a love-hate experience. Lots of goodies provide more opportunity for fails. You will likely have a relatively benign experience--nothing to blog about. No guarantees--but probably little worse than any other car you might buy. I will say my 3rd Gen Prius plug-in was the most perfected car I have ever owned--till the bottom got ripped off because it was so low to the ground. But nothing comes close to the X--Nothing.

Consumer Reports did put Model X reliability at much worse level than Model S. My own experience fits.

Of course the issues are less glaring than they were in early 2016, but still it seems more issues persist on the Model S side.

That said, seems Tesla still has quality issues overall too. Like the recent charger gate gate.

I got this error message last Thursday on my 1 week old X (well, built 7th Nov plus shipping). I noticed some fluid leaking near the right rear tyre the day prior and once the error appeared I assumed they were related. As the weather has been fairly mild with only the odd hot day, I continued to drive with the AC off. The next available service slot was Tuesday and they indicated that it was due to a faulty O-ring, apparently a known issue since addressed on the production line. It was replaced the same day.

Reactions: slm1129
When you get a chance could you let us know what the issue was? I’m looking to take delivery in a few weeks and these type of teething issues are making me very nervous especially with this being the primary family hauler.

Apparently the O rings were damaged. Here is the service record from the service center. I got it back yesterday. So they towed it Saturday, were closed Sunday, Monday - Tuesday they first started to diagnose and let it sit till yesterday to ensure the error went off.

I also tried to install the update overnight and that failed. I am going to try and call and see if they can re-push it to me today. Ugh never a dull moment :)

Good luck, its an awesome car. Now I just need to put some miles on it :)

Attachments

• Tesla SErvice.PNG
    Tesla SErvice.PNG
    180.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Informative
Sorry you had an issue first thing. But congrats on the X! Any little issues like this will soon be a distant memory as you silently glide around grinning constantly. The staff at Devon have been extra helpful recently, constantly asking if there was more I needed/wanted when I was in for my performance uncorking. Ryan the service manager there is great.

Reactions: slm1129
Hookem, you need to take forum complaints with a grain of salt. I believe the new Xs are much more refined. Still probably a little more trouble prone than say BMW--but they have had 100+ years of production experience. Fact is that most X owners have a pretty trouble free experience and love the car to death. All forums of manufacturing tend to be heavy with those minority experiencing problems. Anything system-wide, Tesla is on it pretty quickly. I had a BMW i3 and that forum sitet was also a love-hate experience. Lots of goodies provide more opportunity for fails. You will likely have a relatively benign experience--nothing to blog about. No guarantees--but probably little worse than any other car you might buy. I will say my 3rd Gen Prius plug-in was the most perfected car I have ever owned--till the bottom got ripped off because it was so low to the ground. But nothing comes close to the X--Nothing.

Totally agree, mine unfortunately was compounded with the holiday. Super easy fix, and since it was already there they wanted to be 100% sure and let it sit there overnight. In the meantime they gave me a practically brand new P100D. Not a bad way to start my first 24 hours as a Tesla owner. Things could definitely be worse I have to add.

Reactions: Xenius
Sorry you had an issue first thing. But congrats on the X! Any little issues like this will soon be a distant memory as you silently glide around grinning constantly. The staff at Devon have been extra helpful recently, constantly asking if there was more I needed/wanted when I was in for my performance uncorking. Ryan the service manager there is great.

I believe there are 3 Ryan's at Devon. But the Ryan I was talking to was great, they were extremely apologetic. I was the annoying one who followed up each morning I could to see if there was an update but never made me feel like I was being a pest. They even held aside an X for me and were willing to swap out the loaner S if my X was not coming back to me yesterday. As annoying and sad as it was to see my car leave on a tow truck Saturday. I have owned many cars of different makes / models and have to say they far exceeded my expectations.

Apparently the O rings were damaged. Here is the service record from the service center. I got it back yesterday. So they towed it Saturday, were closed Sunday, Monday - Tuesday they first started to diagnose and let it sit till yesterday to ensure the error went off.

I also tried to install the update overnight and that failed. I am going to try and call and see if they can re-push it to me today. Ugh never a dull moment :)

Good luck, its an awesome car. Now I just need to put some miles on it :)

Thanks for the update. I'm glad the SC got you fixed up quickly and it wasn't anything major. I know little issues are to be expected, but as long as I see Tesla continuously improving their automobiles I have less anxiety.

Absolutely. I realize in aggregate that most owners are having a fantastic experience with their vehicles. The enthusiast, if you will, tend to be the vocal minority. I can attest to this as an A/V enthusiast. We always find the faults and we use our online soap boxes vigorously :) Thanks for your input concerning the i3. My wife and I thought about holding out for the X7 that just went into pre-production, but it appears the MX has won us over.

On the whole id say my model x has been very very reliable after the first 3 months.. and mine is a dec 16 build, I think the newest ones are even better. They really are amazing vehicles.

Enjoy it and seriously the service centers usually make it so nice and easy to own a tesla it’s makes any issues non issues usually.

The issue with the o-ring on the front and rear expansion valves is one that has plagued the X since its inception, and continues to this day. It's quite bothersome for the consumer, but it's a very simple fix at the workshop.

Other than that, the A/C systems are quite reliable.

Enjoy your X!