Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up M3 this weekend. Checklist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New here and picking up my Model 3 this weekend! Will be without radar. I feel I dont' know enough about Tesla so hopefully all will turn out good, but certainly excited. If anyone have a great checklist for delivery pick up please let me know.

I got text message, no email. I was notified this morning. First I noticed when I logged in to check status that it was asking me to approve delivery for radar delete. Then I noticed VIN already assigned and delivery window between now and next 3 days. Then in 30 mins I received text message to schedule with calendar link. I haven't received any email.

One question to anyone reading - I am financing. When am I supposed to pay the down payment? Will it show option on screen after I confirm delivery or do I pay when I pick the car? Do I need personal check, cashiers check, instant ach payment possibility?

I got text message, no email. I was notified this morning. First I noticed when I logged in to check status that it was asking me to approve delivery for radar delete. Then I noticed VIN already assigned and delivery window between now and next 3 days. Then in 30 mins I received text message to schedule with calendar link. I haven't received any email.

One question to anyone reading - I am financing. When am I supposed to pay the down payment? Will it show option on screen after I confirm delivery or do I pay when I pick the car? Do I need personal check, cashiers check, instant ach payment possibility?
You will login to the manage page and make the down payment here shortly, then you will get final financial terms to accept. I just went through the same thing, they used Plaid to login to my bank and setup the payment.

Reactions: NoAverageJoe
Couple of questions if someone could answer -

1. Can I wait to pay until I verify all looks good in the car? i.e. initiate payment through website as soon as I find everything good in the car and no issues or do I have to pay prior to I go to pick up the delivery ( I am financing so talking about initial down payment).
2. What happens if I am not happy with something i.e. imperfections. Is it advisable to just refuse the delivery or let them repair it? If I refuse the delivery and I have paid the down payment of financing, do they refund or does my loan start from that point anyways?
3. Is panel gap a big deal? Curious to learn what is the downside of slight imperfection say for example if there is a wider gap. Is it just aesthetics or does it cause bigger issues i.e. water seeping in through the car?

My advice when it comes to the "checklists... If you never looked at this stuff on any other car you have ever purchased, don’t start now. If you look for problems, you will find them, and it'll potentially ruin your experience with the car.

Tim
Right color, right trim model, driver door opens, trunk has the charging cable. That's all I'm checking, I pickup this week.

I agree with the sentiment that you don't want to over scrutinize the pre-delivery inspection, but it's also foolish to completely trust that everything is functioning as intended.

Externally, walk around the car and make sure the panels are lined up and look symmetrical. You don't need to overthink this, but look to see if panels are raised (similar to a cabinet door that's not fully closed). Make sure the frunk and trunk open and close easily. Check for any noticeable dings or scratches to the paint.

Inside, and hopefully this is obvious, make sure you drive the car (at least around the block). Run threw the basic controls and make sure the software is operating cleanly and crisply (no glitches). Listen for creaks or strange sounds during your test drive, and test the brakes. As for interior aesthetics, similar to what you did on the exterior, look for noticeable blemishes to the seats and trim pieces. Open and close all of the compartments and make sure they're smooth. Test all of the external ports to make sure they function.

I am waiting for my delivery and being a newbie to Tesla, I found a very important item that all newbies can do before taking delivery on that great day.
This was not done by me, but I want to thank the anonymous person for putting together this checklist before you leave the delivery location.

The document is not secure, so if anyone wants to add to this pdf, feel free to do so. But repost it with your changes.

Attachments

• Pre-Delivery Checklist.pdf
    128.6 KB · Views: 275
I took the checklist but also decided not to go too crazy - checked very carefully exterior, interior and mainly focused on anything that could be difficult to prove afterwards i.e. if something is not functioning right can always be repaired but a dent or a scratch would end up becoming subjective. Tesla dealer said I have 3 days to report anything so reported within 3 days following -

1. Interior panel on right side top where coat hanger would be was slightly out of alignment, so thought why not fix it and reported.
2. Right tail light was ever so slightly popping out on the edge but decided its a new car so lets get that fixed, reported.
3. They had not washed/clean car from outside/inside so reported. They said it had been raining and my car was last of the day pick up so said it got dirty due to rain but was washed before lol, but anyways I said I want it detailed/washed so reported and they agreed.
4. Exterior wise, when I open the left front door on driver side, the inside of it the color had slight scratch but enough for me to every time look at it and feel mildly bad, they said any exterior they will directly pay to their collision shop to buff up so I reported through app and they agreed to take care.
5. There was a "dot" scratch so small but once I noticed it I notice it every single time on drivers door just at the edge between driver and passenger door so reported through app and they said their collision center will buff/fix it.

Nothing else really and apart from that everything was great. I did ensure to submit all the above in service request within first 3 days - some while I was there or some of above within coupe of days.

I just picked up my M3 SR+ Today in Carlsbad. Every thing was perfect the emoyees were so helpful and showed my wife a I all we needed to know. The paperwork was easy and we were out in 2 hours Drove home on the feeeways and only used the brake pedal once did not try autopilot. Love it

I just picked up my M3 SR+ Today in Carlsbad. Every thing was perfect the emoyees were so helpful and showed my wife a I all we needed to know. The paperwork was easy and we were out in 2 hours Drove home on the feeeways and only used the brake pedal once did not try autopilot. Love it
It only gets better from here... auto pilot IMO is a cool feature and is VERY good on non busy highways during night driving... not so good on busy streets and people tend to ride your ass since it automatically keeps 3 car lengths in front of you... but watching the car brake for you and turn corners on roads is TRIPPY