Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up without my co-registrant: will they let me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so I put my coregistrant on the Model Y but he is out of country for work until May. Hindsight, sure, should have left him off and added later after getting the car. I have tried a dozen times to contact Tesla via email, 510 number, etc and no luck on this question. The Tesla website has the registration down as "[my name] OR [his name]" so I am hoping this technicality will allow me to pick up by myself without him present. Anyone have any idea? Attached a screenshot for your viewing pleasure.

My pickup is 2/18 and it's 2 hours away. Really don't want to take the train down to get the car just to be told I can't drive it home.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230212_081932_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230212_081932_Chrome.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 398
Okay, so I put my coregistrant on the Model Y but he is out of country for work until May. Hindsight, sure, should have left him off and added later after getting the car. I have tried a dozen times to contact Tesla via email, 510 number, etc and no luck on this question. The Tesla website has the registration down as "[my name] OR [his name]" so I am hoping this technicality will allow me to pick up by myself without him present. Anyone have any idea? Attached a screenshot for your viewing pleasure.

My pickup is 2/18 and it's 2 hours away. Really don't want to take the train down to get the car just to be told I can't drive it home.
Respond to the delivery text you should have received. Also they texted me the day before delivery and responded to my reply.

Reactions: SpencerR

You need to verify that with Tesla. I thought (but am not sure) that Tesla required all registrants to be present to sign, but you need to (very much so) get ahold of tesla before going down there to verify.

Reactions: SpencerR
Respond to the delivery text you should have received. Also they texted me the day before delivery and responded to my reply.
In the OP I stated that I have been texting the (510) number to no avail.
You need to verify that with Tesla. I thought (but am not sure) that Tesla required all registrants to be present to sign, but you need to (very much so) get ahold of tesla before going down there to verify.
I have been trying to, per the OP. This thread is essentially me looking for people in similar situations to see if they had issues or not. Much like the below poster
I picked mine up without my co-registrant. They gave me the registration paperwork to take home with a UPS shipping label and envelope to mail everything back.
Okay, that is reassuring to hear (or read) and also to see that you are in California. I couldn't imagine that they would tell me "no" when I am standing there with a $60,000 check ready to drive off the lot.

In the OP I stated that I have been texting the (510) number to no avail.

I have been trying to, per the OP. This thread is essentially me looking for people in similar situations to see if they had issues or not. Much like the below poster

Okay, that is reassuring to hear (or read) and also to see that you are in California. I couldn't imagine that they would tell me "no" when I am standing there with a $60,000 check ready to drive off the lot.

The forums here are littered with "I dont know why tesla did that to me, I read here that......" so while I get the desire to hear / read about it from someone else, and its encouraging that someone else had that experience, If it were me, I would absolutely not go down there to pick up the car without confirming that it was ok unless I was also ok with not being able to pick up the car.

Your pickup is currently scheduled for 2/18, you will want to hear from someone in your delivery center that they will do this. Assuming you are replying to the "schedule your delivery" text you got, someone should get back to you before your delivery date.

Tesla is very respondent to their texting number. Any issue I have had was solved quickly through it. My paper license plate fell off with the screws on the way home and I texted them. Within a few minutes I got a response and the sent me the tracking number. My trade-in wasn't ready as well that morning, sent them a text and they were very quick with responses. Now calling them on the phone...

I could have been at home and completed the process for my MYP in Rocklin, California. My wife handed in the cashier's check and called me over to the car. All I had to do was accept delivery on my phone after inspecting it. If I was at home, she could have told me to just do the acceptance on my phone and she could have gotten the car without me.

Tesla is very respondent to their texting number. Any issue I have had was solved quickly through it. My paper license plate fell off with the screws on the way home and I texted them. Within a few minutes I got a response and the sent me the tracking number. My trade-in wasn't ready as well that morning, sent them a text and they were very quick with responses. Now calling them on the phone...

I could have been at home and completed the process for my MYP in Rocklin, California. My wife handed in the cashier's check and called me over to the car. All I had to do was accept delivery on my phone after inspecting it. If I was at home, she could have told me to just do the acceptance on my phone and she could have gotten the car without me.
Well, I have now copy, pasted, and sent the same text ("My co-registrant cannot be at pick up, is it okay if...") every morning and evening for 4 days and have not gotten a response. So, my mileage is varying on that one.

My wife and I were co-registrants on the car. I did this because I thought we might finance through Tesla and I wanted her on the title. Ended up getting other financing and in hindsight I didn't need her to be a co-registrant in Tesla's system. Anyway, since we did not finance through Tesla there was nothing really to sign at the delivery center. You do need to make sure you have both done all the steps in the app. But essentially you own the car already. They took our bank check (which we both signed earlier at the bank) and once we accepted it in the app we could get into the car and drive off. If you are jointly financing through Tesla you both may need to sign the check. But don't take my word for it, we didn't do it this way.