Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up Model Y without paying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up my Model Y couple weeks ago and yesterday I received a call from Tesla saying that they have not yet received my payment. So they sent me a link to have me pay the vehicle ASAP and told me that otherwise there will be problem when registering the vehicle. I remember paying the car using the Tesla App on the day of pickup, so the transaction must have not gone through since no money was withdrawn from my bank account. I'm wondering how could Tesla let that happen? What if I decided not to pay? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely going to pay, but I'm wondering what consequences will there be if somebody decided not to pay with the vehicle in hand already.

What if I decided not to pay? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely going to pay, but I'm wondering what consequences will there be if somebody decided not to pay with the vehicle in hand already.

What happens is the same thing that would happen in any situation where someone isnt paying for their car, either up front, or after agreeing to make payments then not making them. Its called "vehicle repossession". Most people have heard of this term before, but perhaps you havent.

The difference, as pointed out already, is that this car is online all the time, so its fairly easy for it to be found.

Once a vehicle is repossessed, the persons credit is effectively ruined. Most people dont understand the ramifications of poor credit until they are dealing with it. Even renting a residence can be impacted.

I have zero idea why anyone would post about something like this, rather than just fixing it, if they actually intended to fix it, but shrug.

So I picked up my Model Y couple weeks ago and yesterday I received a call from Tesla saying that they have not yet received my payment. So they sent me a link to have me pay the vehicle ASAP and told me that otherwise there will be problem when registering the vehicle. I remember paying the car using the Tesla App on the day of pickup, so the transaction must have not gone through since no money was withdrawn from my bank account. I'm wondering how could Tesla let that happen? What if I decided not to pay? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely going to pay, but I'm wondering what consequences will there be if somebody decided not to pay with the vehicle in hand already.
I'm sure it's the same as stealing.

Reactions: racerx2005
I think you should make a trip to your bank and request to speak with the bank manager and let them straighten out the problem. It may not be Tesla's fault? Whenever there is an issue with ACH transactions it is not the customers fault but a glitch in the electronic network. Perhaps a thunderstorm caused the problem?

Come-on guys!

The question is: How did Tesla hand someone the car keys when it wasn’t paid for?

The key fact here is the title. Well and the paperwork that is probably legally binding that you are taking possession of the car and promise to pay.

Other comments offer some good advice. I would add to just make sure what happened with the previous payment. Why did it fail just to make sure you don't get double charged. I'm sure eventually Tesla would refund one of the payments but it is easier right now to sort it out.

I paid by personal check on the day I picked my car up. I didn't get the title from Tesla until annoyingly close to when my temporary registration expired and I had to permanently register it. The check had cleared long before I got the title. Of course my check could have bounced or failed for various reasons.

Come-on guys!

The question is: How did Tesla hand someone the car keys when it wasn’t paid for?
An ACH transaction takes a couple of days to post.

Tesla can't come at you the same day for an ACH transaction that takes time. So, they might've given it a few days for the transaction to go through. And depending on how "patient" you might think of Tesla, it might be they decided to give even more time, expecting the customer to check and sort out the mess.

After all, as mentioned, if you don't complete certain payments, they'll repossess the car. It's plenty troublesome for them, but can be far worse for the customer. So, its in the customer's best interest to make sure things are processed, when dealing with the financial side.

But, even if Tesla was patient, they have to do something eventually. That, or maybe they missed it after the first few days and finally caught on. Doubtful, since pretty much everything is digital, so it's harder to miss.

Reactions: richyrich
Come-on guys!

I mean, I paid with a bank draft check and a cashiers check, but plenty of people have written personal checks. Some people have definitely wired money to incorrect accounts or provided ACH information that may not have gone all the way through for "reasons".

For every one of these, there are people complaining about "WTF why does it take so long for my ACH to show up?!?!?!?", or "WTF I got billed twice??!?!?!?

In regular car dealerships, there are times when people run through the financing, get preliminary approval (on a weekend or something) but then the bank says "nope sorry need more down payment" or something when it opens on a monday, and the dealership has to go back to the person and tell them "we need the car back, or more down payment from you, or your interest rate is ACTUALLY going to be Y.YY".

So, its not like this is some out of bounds thing that never happens, people just deal with it.

thanks, I was going to cry for all these accusations…

Thats because you said:

What if I decided not to pay? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely going to pay, but I'm wondering what consequences will there be if somebody decided not to pay with the vehicle in hand already.

I dont see accusations, I see people answering the very specific question you asked.

Are you sure it's Tesla calling you?

I had them print everything out for me before I left. They thought it was weird, but I just said I was old and liked have physical copies of stuff like that. 🤷‍♂️

I mean, yeah thats a great point, and I suppose I take that kind of thing for granted. There is no circumstance in which I would ever send any money to anyone, in which they sent me a link to pay, unless that was pre arranged via a phone conversation that I initiated with them through known good business channels.

I was making an assumption (that word) that the OP had received contact, then logged back into their tesla account and verified, then contacted tesla via something other than that text they received, since thats what I would have automatically done.

Reactions: WyoDude
My rep went to verify every step before releasing the car to me in the pick up day. He indicated that his app will deny his request o release/surrender my car to me if one of the steps is incomplete. I'll first check my bank account to see where the money is, then definitely reach back to Tesla separately to confirm this re-payment request.

I had them print everything out for me before I left. They thought it was weird, but I just said I was old and liked have physical copies of stuff like that. 🤷‍♂️
I did the same... and it was evident that I AM OLD and cranky, didn't even have to say it.

I think OP should just make a run for the border. Cross into Mexico and just keep going. Don't worry, it's not like Tesla can access the car remotely or track it if they want to.... oh wait. :)

I mean, yeah thats a great point, and I suppose I take that kind of thing for granted. There is no circumstance in which I would ever send any money to anyone, in which they sent me a link to pay, unless that was pre arranged via a phone conversation that I initiated with them through known good business channels.

I was making an assumption (that word) that the OP had received contact, then logged back into their tesla account and verified, then contacted tesla via something other than that text they received, since thats what I would have automatically done.
I had vaguely thought about it being a scam... but the OP did say no money was taken from their account.

So, who knows.

The OP should check their bank account to make sure if there's an issue there and then go talk to an SC to clear things up.