Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of white Y with and without Gemini covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's say next month every ICE car in the USA is replaced by an EV. Can you imagine how vast our electrical supply infrastructure would need to be to support the loads of electricity for millions of EV's charging simultaneously. The power plants that produce electricity use oil and other natural resources and they are all located along bodies of water that is needed to cool the turbines. More power plants = more oil and more air and water pollution. How are the rolling blackouts working out for the folks in California? EV's will not eliminate or even vastly reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. Alternative fuel vehicles will serve that purpose and they are far behind EV's. The main reasons I'm buying a Tesla are for experiencing the BMW-like handling of a premium car without the high LT maintenance costs, the convenience of not having to go out to pump gas on a regular basis, using the HOV lane of the LIE, aka the parking lot, and for the technology and software updates.

Very simply put without all the scientific data.... Switching to grid electricity instead of gasoline gives us a chance to switch how the energy is produced. You can't make a more environmentally friendly gasoline but you can source electricity from renewables as cost and tech improves over time.

No matter how you look at it, it's a step forward. The side step or trade one for one argument is old and promoted by oil industries.

Let's say next month every ICE car in the USA is replaced by an EV. Can you imagine how vast our electrical supply infrastructure would need to be to support the loads of electricity for millions of EV's charging simultaneously. The power plants that produce electricity use oil and other natural resources and they are all located along bodies of water that is needed to cool the turbines. More power plants = more oil and more air and water pollution. How are the rolling blackouts working out for the folks in California? EV's will not eliminate or even vastly reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. Alternative fuel vehicles will serve that purpose and they are far behind EV's. The main reasons I'm buying a Tesla are for experiencing the BMW-like handling of a premium car without the high LT maintenance costs, the convenience of not having to go out to pump gas on a regular basis, using the HOV lane of the LIE, aka the parking lot, and for the technology and software updates.

pssst....here is a hint...

The United States solar energy market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 17.32% during 2020-2025

Also, despite what you were promised 4 years ago....coal....is NOT going to "make a YUGE comeback...the biggest the world has ever seen".

While I commend you for your Tesla purchase, you are remarkably misinformed on a variety of topics, extremely so. It's hard to know where to begin, frankly, but the nature of your comments is such that they cannot be allowed to remain posted without correction.

In random order:

1. The grid is sized for the worst-case scenario, which is a summer afternoon during a heat wave, plus some buffer for various plant outages, etc. It is typically operating at a small fraction of capacity. Many ISO's have web pages that will show, in real time, the load on your local grid. You should look yours up, as it will probably show that it is around 20 or 30% of capacity this morning, and that all "peaker" plants are off line as a result, not to mention other production cutbacks as well.

2. The vast majority of EV's charge at night, while their owners are asleep. (Just like you charge your cell phone.) Utility TUO or TOC plans greatly encourage this by reducing their electric tariffs at night to a fraction of what it is during the day. This is a win-win as the utilities get to even out their load over any given 24-hour cycle, and this is especially because some power plants actually have massive heat sinks used to absorb the output that they cannot shut off during periods of low demand. This is not widely known as it is, frankly, pretty embarrassing to be literally wasting their output on purpose . . . a complete lose-lose situation of power plants producing power that no one wants. (But that all the ratepayers get to pay for:)

3. Even if your local grid was 100% coal (which it is NOT), we would all benefit from 100% conversion to EV's as the efficiency is so much higher, usually well over 100 eMPG. Thus, even with a 100% coal-powered grid, we would still have greatly reduced GHG dumping. (This can be sourced with Google, but I'm running short on time.)

4. Any conventional ICE vehicle will only produce more GHG's and other pollution as it ages. EV's are the EXACT opposite: as the grid becomes cleaner every year with more renewables (solar, wind, etc.) added to the mix, your EV becomes cleaner every year as well.

5. In our case, we power our two Teslas, and our entire home as well, with Tesla Energy solar panels. Our electric bill was under $30 FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR, and this has been the trend since 2014 when we replaced our last ICE vehicle. Just extrapolate the impact if EVERY home had solar panels, as is now the code requirement for new homes in California btw . . . .

6. We produce so much excess electricity with our solar panels (which is then used by the grid) that we have also removed our two gas water heaters and gas furnaces, going to full electric for both. This further decreases our GHG dumping as natural gas is stunningly bad for the environment, particularly the closer you get to the drill site. (There are plenty of videos showing people lighting their well water on fire from leaking methane, all byproducts of drilling/fracking.) It's hard to be a "part of the solution" if we're still writing a check to a fossil fuel company every month, right?

In closing, the far greater issue here is why the hopelessly incorrect misinformation/FUD you posted was in your head in the first place--it's because fossil fuel interests have paid money for it to be in your head.

Ugent suggestions:

1. Stop watching "Faux "News" as many of their programs are NOT news programs, but Opinion, Commentary, and/or Editorials. Knowing what type of program you are watching is key to education, and to help stop EV misinformation and FUD.

2. Watch this documentary ASAP:

www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/climate-of-doubt/

3. Best to also watch this full documentary on the same topic, but at least watch the trailer (linked at the bottom). If you have the maturity and open mind to realize what has occured to you and literally hundreds of millions of others, it should make your blood boil. The greed of a literally some of the largest corporations in the world has placed our entire planet in great peril:

Sony Pictures Classics presents 'Merchants of Doubt'

And if you think that's bad, just wait until you read about positive feedback loops; this will blow your mind as we may have already passed several tipping points which have set us on a path to ruin--let's hope we've not:

nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/global-warming-effects/

p.s. After you've learned what is going on, PLEASE spread the FACTS far and wide, and ALSO give a lot of folks the opportunity to test drive your new Tesla at the same time--that's an awesome way to mitigate literally decades of intentional misinformation. More on this, the biggest lies in history, here:

Climate Disinformation

OP here. It's amusing how my post about Gemini wheels has morphed into this

I am still undecided if I want my stock gemini powder coated or not... Getting delivery on Dec 12. I'm Gonna decide when I see it in person. It's hard to decide based on photos

Thank you for a lively discussion.

Before accepting delivery, I was dead-set on removing the caps and powder-coating the wheels black. But after taking delivery, it doesn't bother me at all so I'm keeping them on and saving myself a few hundred bucks.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
upload_2020-12-8_17-25-34.jpeg

<$600 satin powder coat. No regrets.

I’m not sure what color wheels to go with for my white MY. I’ve seen plenty of blacks both satin or gloss. And I lean towards a dark grey. Anyway, to see the look I plasti dip the passenger side tires.
(Plasti Dip Luxury Metallic, Selenite Gray)

View attachment 623879
Quoting my previous post to update... I liked the gray from the plastidip and decided I was ready for a permanent change. I found on facebook marketplace a place to swap out non-treated stock wheels for power-coated ones. The swap took less than an hour to complete. Picture below is gunmetal satin. Here is the FB post (19" Gemini Factory Wheels) that could be helpful to others.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 511
Definitely looks interesting....I haven't seen white rims in person in my area yet to make an opinion on them or not. How did you paint them? Masking and spraypaint?

I finally went ahead and put Vinyl on the outside edge of my rims to get rid of the silver ring. Here is what it looked like before ->

View attachment 563156
And after:

View attachment 563157

Was actually easy to do. Took about...an hour. You don't have to be precise with it at all...you only see the outside edge of it. Well....maybe if you have your aero covers off frequently you will want to spend more time on it but I didn't.

I bought rvinyl black 3m 2080 vinyl, 1'x5', $16 on amazon. I cut 5' by 1/2" strips. If you stretch the strips just slightly as you put them on, 5' will cover the whole outside edge. Easy to put on...took more time to clean the wheel and cut the strip than putting them on. I used a heat gun...but....I don't think it did anything special vs just using my fingers to press the vinyl on.

View attachment 563159
View attachment 563158

Now to see how long the vinyl and plastidip last! A nice thing about the vinyl...is that if I ever get curb rash, I can just recover it with vinyl. The $16 of vinyl would be enough to do strips for 24 wheels.
This looks great! Did the vinyl eventually pull away? How long did the plastic hold up in the hubcap? Thanks.