Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would powdercoated Gemini wheels be scratched by the covers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are tons of posts of damage to the original finish by the Gemini wheel covers, either at the clips or at the outer edge. The original is probably a painted finish which would be easy to damage. Does anyone have powdercoated wheels that have held up better to take the covers on and off?

What are the clips inside of the plastic over made of?
The clips are plastic with metal tensioners inside of them.
Yes. If there is any dirt on the wheel, putting the wheel covers on will scratch the paint. Even if they are clean, the plastic is not forgiving, it will mar the surface for sure.
I get that the original painted finish of the wheel is damaged easily by the plastic and debris, but I'm wondering if powdercoating will hold up better than the paint (to at least the plastic and debris). I'm debating whether to have them powdercoated and take on/off the covers for roadtrips. If the powdercoating itself will be damaged by the covers then it would be a waste of money.

The clips are plastic with metal tensioners inside of them.

I get that the original painted finish of the wheel is damaged easily by the plastic and debris, but I'm wondering if powdercoating will hold up better than the paint (to at least the plastic and debris). I'm debating whether to have them powdercoated and take on/off the covers for roadtrips. If the powdercoating itself will be damaged by the covers then it would be a waste of money.
I know that you get more range with them on, but if you like the looks with them off, does the extra range, even on long trips really matter? It's not as if you are getting an extra 30 miles range, it's maybe 10 miles. And that isn't going to make a difference in which Supercharger you choose.

I know that you get more range with them on, but if you like the looks with them off, does the extra range, even on long trips really matter? It's not as if you are getting an extra 30 miles range, it's maybe 10 miles. And that isn't going to make a difference in which Supercharger you choose.
To be honest I'm not crazy about how they look without covers - part of the reason for powdercoating is just to make them look good enough to use without the covers. Then on top of the efficiency benefit I have the option to change the look by switching from original cover, to aftermarket cover, to no cover.

For anyone else wondering, it seems like the pressure from the plastic clips is enough to even damage powdercoating. I spoke to a local powdercoater who mentioned his customers did experience it and will only use without covers, and others have commented here:

To be honest I'm not crazy about how they look without covers - part of the reason for powdercoating is just to make them look good enough to use without the covers. Then on top of the efficiency benefit I have the option to change the look by switching from original cover, to aftermarket cover, to no cover.

For anyone else wondering, it seems like the pressure from the plastic clips is enough to even damage powdercoating. I spoke to a local powdercoater who mentioned his customers did experience it and will only use without covers, and others have commented here:
My point is that if you like it one way, just leave it that way. If you powder coat, it and don't like it, then put them back on.
I kept mine on for awhile, then took them off and put them back on when travelling. And then back off while in town. Well, the range difference doesn't bother me and I've been way too lazy to put them back on.

I'm about to sell the car, so I guess I need to find them!