Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Preparing for delivery; Model 3 at Lyndhurst (Cleveland) service center. • r/teslamotors
Sktq2bF.jpg

More news about the German M3: Bilder und Videos vom Model 3 • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

Instagram post by Tesla Fanpage Deutschland • Nov 24, 2017 at 8:40pm UTC

That guy in the link met the people with the white M3 in Germany. He said its US Tesla Employees traveling through Europe. Its a red plate they have. He did get somehow the impression its still an covered marketing initiative. They did ask him not to make a picture from the car but agreed to make one with him and the lower part of the wheel. See attached.

Trustworthy report with lots of details so clearly a confirmation. They had quite a cable and larger adapter in the trunk to be able to adjust to the European standard. He talked to them about 20 minutes.

This guys are going to have a slow travel with lots of talk wherever they stop. We likely will see more pictures soon.

Last edited:
Electrek quotes a German Tesla forum member as saying that he saw this Model 3 at a Supercharger.

“He said that the Model 3 was being driven by American Tesla employees and that they had a special adapter in order to charge at European Superchargers with a standard Tesla American plug.” - A rare Tesla Model 3 spotted in Germany, reportedly with new charging adapter

Can we borrow that adapter and ship our Model X to Germany next time we go visit? I so want to drive it on the autobahn where everybody goes 110mph on average...

Can we borrow that adapter and ship our Model X to Germany next time we go visit? I so want to drive it on the autobahn where everybody goes 110mph on average...
Tesla cars are optimized for 0-60 mph drag car performance. Do not mix up best-in-class acceleration with continuous speed, there is also a difference between top speed and average speed.

Teslas on a German Autobahn are placed in the middle of the food chain between hunters (Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes) and pickings (trucks, caravans).

My last fossil car was an Audi A6. Visiting family in Southern Germany was a continuous trip with average speed 140 km/h (86 mph), including country and inner-city roads. My feeling of safety and responsibility let me go 210 km/h (130 mph) max on certain three-lane sections of Autobahns without a limit and low occupancy. With my Model X P90D: The faster you drive, the more often you need to take a charging break. Beyond initial range, excessive max speed lengthens total time of travel. We would welcome a 200 kWh battery option. Until then, we are fine with loosing one hour time since driving zero-emission, due to lower max speed and SuC stops. We have more McDonald's food and enjoy pleasant conversations with other Tesla owners (more to come with Model 3's arrival).

Expecting Model 3s on German Autobahn is a mixture of happiness and horror. The current car design is limited to handle speed and traffic conditions on a German Autobahn. TACC/AP is only active until 140 km/h, which is fair. Being in the middle of the speed range, a Model 3 needs to anticipate the demand of surrounding vehicles to adjust their driving paths. Slow trucks on the right lane, approaching family cars will need to change lane to keep their speed. They shall not change lane, if a fast car approaches from behind. If you are the fast car on the left lane, you may open a gap politly. Experienced drivers follow unwritten rules, how to mitigate colliding interests. The current AP software does not reflect anything like this, it is an autistic "Kevin of the roads" . Even if AP software improves, how will Model 3 handle this without a reliable backward sensor suite?

So I hope, the Tesla engineers take lots of notes and ideas during their stay here.

Last edited:
Tesla cars are optimized for 0-60 mph drag car performance. Do not mix up best-in-class acceleration with continuous speed, there is also a difference between top speed and average speed.

Teslas on a German Autobahn are placed in the middle of the food chain between hunters (Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes) and pickings (trucks, caravans).

My last fossil car was an Audi A6. Visiting family in Southern Germany was a continuous trip with average speed 140 km/h (86 mph), including country and inner-city roads. My feeling of safety and responsibility let me go 210 km/h (130 mph) max on certain three-lane sections of Autobahns without a limit and low occupancy. With my Model X P90D: The faster you drive, the more often you need to take a charging break. Beyond initial range, excessive max speed lengthens total time of travel. We are fine with loosing one hour time since driving zero-emssion, due to lower max speed and SuC stops. We have more McDonald's food and enjoy pleasant conversations with other Tesla owners (more to come with Model 3's arrival).

Expecting Model 3s on German Autobahn is a mixture of happiness and horror. The current car design is limited to handle speed and traffic conditions on a German Autobahn. TACC/AP is only active until 140 km/h, which is fair. Being in the middle of the speed range, a Model 3 needs to anticipate the demand of surrounding vehicles to adjust their driving paths. Slow trucks on the right lane, approaching family cars will need to change lane to keep their speed. They shall not change lane, if a fast car approaches from behind. If you are the fast car on the left lane, you may open a gap politly. Experienced drivers follow unwritten rules, how to mitigate colliding interests. The current AP software does not reflect anything like this, it is an autistic "Kevin of the roads" . Even if AP software improves, how will Model 3 handle this without a reliable backward sensor suite?

So I hope, the Tesla engineers take lots of notes and ideas during their stay here.

I don't think Tesla will have any problem marking the autobahns and applying the lane rules you describe.

Reactions: preilly44
Ability of Tesla cars is always a question of time - thanks to over-the-air-updates. A model 3 - with revised hardware - will be able to circulate self-driving on a high speed ride on a Autobahn without being identified as "stupid autonmous" , for sure. But not today or in near future.

it is paramount to anticipate human behaviour and check 360° surrounding. If highway systems are squeezed into heavily populated areas and vehicles do not move uniformly, self driving is complex. Might that car next lane pull into your driving path? License plate from Bulgaria, expect the worst (no checking of mirror). Parcel delivery van at late afternoon, it will jump lanes sharp, but without collision. After Black Friday, those drivers increase their impatience. If your autonomous cars lowers speed to re-adjust a safety gap, the next human-driven car will pull in and three parcel vans at least. There is an end of tether for cars behind of you. Then you have people taking phone calls. They might swing out of lane accidentally. If the car in front is a premium make, it could be another autonomous one. That will change lane slowly and might brake during that maneuver, instead of accellerating into the gap. Germany might be the best place to check out for heavy conditions. I hope, Tesla does.

I am really looking forward to see those capabilities. But we will not order self-driving option, when we get invited for our Model 3.

Last edited:
From comments in that Electrek article
František Kubiš, jr.13 hours ago
"It would be the first reported use of such a Menneke Type 2 to Tesla plug adapter."
No, it wouldn't be... Amateurs already doing it for a long time when importing US Teslas to Europe...
0a040a876dad10064e8f5ec04de353eb07778678c2c04a813d474e87b4c15111.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.