Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Piece of tape solved my problem!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I got this like 2016, $120,000 Model X. Ever since day 1 the wind noise especially at higher speeds has bothered me. It has been in the service center twice for yearly check up, has had its tires changed once, and has had multiple visits from Tesla at home for various door issues etc. I always brought up the wind noise, but nothing was addressed or fixed.

Then finally.. I saw a youtube video. The guy describes placing tape around the doors to find leaks. I followed his direction and placed a 3" tape over the windows near that quarter glass or whatever. Wind noise is now 50% better. Yes.. a piece of freaking tape for my 120k car.

Ideally the engineers who designed the Tesla seals need to be fired immediately.

...Ideally the engineers who designed the Tesla seals need to be fired immediately...

perhaps a tad extreme? go to the lexus forums for the $100k-$120K LS460L-LS600HL and check out the "wind noise" issue they have all had as well...

it all comes down to a small triangle of plastic smaller than a dollar bill that needed to be re-designed, etc... (I know this because I had one)

Reactions: 1375mlm
I agree with @Peteybabes
Tesla, and the Model X specifically, especially in 2016, was kind of understood to be an early adopter kind of product.
You’re buying something from a company that has only a few years experience of making cars, comparing them with companies that have decades worth of experience.
Of course it’s not ideal to have trivial problems with such an expensive product, but i think they’re doing much better than Ford or Mercedes Benz was when they started up producing for the first time.
If you are looking for a product with years of proven reliability, and engineering/design that has been refined for longer than most of us have been alive, a Model X probably isn’t for you.

I have had four door switches replaced, falcon doors fixed, some shudder thing fixed twice, and you guys are lecturing me on sticking with a car with proven reliability.. dont make me laugh... hahahaha.
oh, i'm not lecturing...i've had all the things done that you've mentioned plus replaced seats, center roof section, etc.

if i had the time i would tear apart the car and add 100+ pounds of asphalt insulation behind every body panel and try to see if i could obtain double-pane glass for all the side windows on the whole car...

it's these things that should have been noticed in wind-tunnel testing and/or with an older more experienced car company. at this point i'd never go back to a Lexus LS, probably a model 3 before that even!

Reactions: 1375mlm
Ok so I got this like 2016, $120,000 Model X. Ever since day 1 the wind noise especially at higher speeds has bothered me. It has been in the service center twice for yearly check up, has had its tires changed once, and has had multiple visits from Tesla at home for various door issues etc. I always brought up the wind noise, but nothing was addressed or fixed.

Then finally.. I saw a youtube video. The guy describes placing tape around the doors to find leaks. I followed his direction and placed a 3" tape over the windows near that quarter glass or whatever. Wind noise is now 50% better. Yes.. a piece of freaking tape for my 120k car.

Ideally the engineers who designed the Tesla seals need to be fired immediately.
Can u show us a picture where exactly u taped it? I have the same problem. Thanks