Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PIN to drive/valet mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to set up the former but the car doesn't appear to recognise the number I put in - I have a feeling that the PIN is still perhaps locked with the number the previous owner user? If that's the case how do I get access to change the PIN when the car isn't registered on the Tesla app yet? A further question - driving today I have somehow managed to set Valet mode....it appears that Valet mode has its own PIN number distinct from the PIN used to allow the car to be driven. No idea how I got into valet mode but now I can't seem to get out. Is this another thing I need Tesla to unlock whenever I can actually get the car added to the App? Thanks

If pin to drive is currently off, then you set a pin when you enable it. It doesn’t remember a previous pin

pin to drive isn’t compatible with valet mode.

to enable valet mode you also have to enter a pin. It doesn’t make you confirm it though so perhaps you mistyped it and now can’t mistype it in the same way in order to disable it

You can disable it with your Tesla account if you forget the pin, but it sounds like the car is not in your tesla account yet?

On some screens where a PIN is required, you can enter your tesla account details instead, but never tried myself but have seen the message. But I suspect, as car is not transferred to you, you won't be able to do that unless you have the previous owners account details?

Dropping mine in a garage next week for a few days to sort a blemish on a wheel. Am I best disabling pin to drive and putting in valet mode? Am I right in thinking if I leave pin to drive they’re screwed if they need to move it?

Dropping mine in a garage next week for a few days to sort a blemish on a wheel. Am I best disabling pin to drive and putting in valet mode? Am I right in thinking if I leave pin to drive they’re screwed if they need to move it?

Its kind of confusing, but my understanding is:

Enable Valet Mode:
- enter a pin
- this pin is required to _exit_ Valet mode
- entering Valet Mode requires your 'Pin to drive' code, I can't remember if you need it first when setting valet mode up?
- in theory you could use the same pin for both, just don't let anyone know what it is
- while in this mode the glove box and the frunk are locked
- anyone with a 'key' can drive the car while in Valet mode without entering a pin

Enable Pin to drive:
- enter a pin
- you must use this pin every time you want to drive
- this is a good 2nd level of security incase someone got a hold of your key card, phone or fob
- this setting does nothing while in Valet mode

There is also Speed Limit mode (55 mph is the lowest it goes) that also requires a pin code, I haven't used that one yet. Guessing it could be used in combination with Valet mode?

Reactions: tm3lrawd