Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ping-pong on autopilot after rear wheel replacement + wheel alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fam, Rocinante's right rear tire had a flat 4 weeks ago. Telsa service center popped on a loaner wheel, recommended I get both rear tires replaced, and then called me back in 3 weeks later when the tires had arrived. They popped the new tires on, and did a wheel alignment which I had asked for.

I hit the highway after the SC visit, engaged autopilot, and immediately noticed the ping-pong effect. Additionally, Roci would markedly stutter while changing lanes on AP.

As I drove Roci back in to the SC yesterday, admittedly the ping-pong effect wasn't as strong as it had been in the week past. Sure enough, the SC manager and his tech claimed they didn't really notice the ping-pong that much. They did say they noticed some vibration (no idea what they're talking about), and would test the ultrasonic sensors.

While I wait for the SC to figure things out, I thought I might share what's been happening with you all. One "fix" I found on the forum was someone having had all 4 tires replaced to alleviate the ping-pong issue. Not sure why this would have worked. I've had 2 tires replaced before (as opposed to all 4), and never had the ping-pong issue.

For some reason I'm unable to post videos here. So I'm including links to the videos I had posted on Twitter.

EDIT:
Roci was running 2021.4.12 before and after the SC appointment. She's got HW3/AP2 with FSD package.

I'm going to guess alignment followed by balancing. The only thing that sounds like it changed in the front end is alignment. I'm new to our Tesla, do SC's do 4 or 2 wheel alignment? Sounds like it has to be 4 if you only replaced rear tires?

So either sloppy alignment or the car has to relearn front steering offset related to the cameras?

Hi DiamondHeads, did you figure this out ? I just changed my back tires and Autopilot is swerving in straight lanes and hardly keeps the lane on windy roads. Was it an alignment issue ? Thanks
Hey buddy, sorry for the late reply, the issue sorted itself out after several days of driving. I suspect the car perhaps needed to re-calibrate.