Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having discussions with the Tesla Engineering team online referred by the service department. Trading photos and info. I have read some horror stories on this “issue” so I am trying to get to some level of how to resolve before returning for service.
Interested to hear. Because at night, the cubby light glaring through the half-closed top drawer crack is quite distracting.

Interested to hear. Because at night, the cubby light glaring through the half-closed top drawer crack is quite distracting.
They now recognize the lights exist. They believe a switch swap will fix it. Unfortunately this is the horror story I already heard about with someone getting their console taken apart and still not having the problem solved. I am staying on them to see if they truly have a fix. Wish I had better to report.

• Helpful
Reactions: cwanja
They now recognize the lights exist. They believe a switch swap will fix it. Unfortunately this is the horror story I already heard about with someone getting their console taken apart and still not having the problem solved. I am staying on them to see if they truly have a fix. Wish I had better to report.
That report is good enough for the moment. Thanks for being the one taking this on with Tesla!

Close enough to progress. Please let us all know how it goes! I’ll keep following the thread to hear your experience.

So the “go to” fix for the light issue in the lower console is to replace the entire console. As simple a issue as it seems, it is not assessable nor configurable at this juncture. Hope they can simplify this through a hardware change on future builds or just better QC the vehicle during manufacturing.

I am getting the console replaced currently so I will let you know if it all goes well or if it is more trouble than it is worth.

Its the small things that would only takes seconds to check or do right that drive me crazy and cost companies a ton of money in the long run.

Ok. Here is the final fix for the lower light in the console turning off when open and on when closed. There is a micro switch (as expected) but it is buried within the console. To get to it you have to take the console apart and replace the "faulty" switch. The team at Tesla Knoxville procured a replacement console but were able to disassemble, replace the switch and reassemble without scratching or creating another problem with the console. So they have an entire extra console minus one switch. My problem is solved so I am happy. It took them 2 hours which is probably the same amount of time it would take to replace the entire console.

So, I do recommend getting the fix but just be straight with the service team that if they happen to scratch your carbon (or wood), while trying to replace this one micro switch, to go ahead and replace the whole darn thing.

I went through it with a fine toothed comb. No scratches, no rattles, no misaligned slides. Obviously this all about the service technician you get.

Ok. Here is the final fix for the lower light in the console turning off when open and on when closed. There is a micro switch (as expected) but it is buried within the console. To get to it you have to take the console apart and replace the "faulty" switch. The team at Tesla Knoxville procured a replacement console but were able to disassemble, replace the switch and reassemble without scratching or creating another problem with the console. So they have an entire extra console minus one switch. My problem is solved so I am happy. It took them 2 hours which is probably the same amount of time it would take to replace the entire console.

So, I do recommend getting the fix but just be straight with the service team that if they happen to scratch your carbon (or wood), while trying to replace this one micro switch, to go ahead and replace the whole darn thing.

I went through it with a fine toothed comb. No scratches, no rattles, no misaligned slides. Obviously this all about the service technician you get.
Angry, old man huffing and puffing. At some point, I really wonder if it worth the hassle of having them try and fix it.

But I do appreciate all the write ups and follow ups.

Have this exact same issue. Picked up my Plaid today. Noticed the strange light behavior and googled it to find this thread. Not excited about my console being torn out either. Wondering if this could be fixed by a firmware update but it looks like they haven’t fixed the root cause if my car that was just made is having this too.

• Informative
Reactions: josahua

Wow - you’re amazing for writing that up for us all, and thanks for doing it. Hopefully this information gets disseminated to other Tesla repair shops and refined until it becomes easier for them to do. I’ll put in a service notice on mine and hold off on having them fix anything (I use Tesla Mobile Service here) until the procedure is refined.

Tweeted this thread to Elon to see if it’s a widely known issue at Tesla HQ, and if there’s anyway to streamline repair. We’ll see if the tweet gets noticed. Definitely want to get this fixed for mine. Good news, at least, is that the “interim fix” is to just close the lid a tiny fraction of the way and hold it there with your finger and the light will be on :)

Oh man, after reading this thread, I decided to test mine and have the same issue too…

Lid half close, light on, lid open, no light…. Guess I got to log a ticket too. The service rep is coming to repair my console because the middle drawer came with a nick, but now I’m wondering if he is going to replace the entire console…

Attachments

• EB075C81-5CBC-4F57-B478-B56ACEF4B968.jpeg
    EB075C81-5CBC-4F57-B478-B56ACEF4B968.jpeg
    378.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 6865514F-878A-4DA3-90DE-15B0EA814191.jpeg
    6865514F-878A-4DA3-90DE-15B0EA814191.jpeg
    441.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 2E18E84C-11E4-42EB-9C1F-79987013FB12.jpeg
    2E18E84C-11E4-42EB-9C1F-79987013FB12.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 61
Oh man, after reading this thread, I decided to test mine and have the same issue too…

Lid half close, light on, lid open, no light…. Guess I got to log a ticket too. The service rep is coming to repair my console because the middle drawer came with a nick, but now I’m wondering if he is going to replace the entire console…
Looking at these photos - I kind of wonder if it is by design? Hear me out.

If the lid is fully open, the the most amount of light can shine into the console. Thus, why would you have a light on. When it is halfway closed, you want some lights since only half the exterior light can come in.

Thoughts?

Angry, old man huffing and puffing. At some point, I really wonder if it worth the hassle of having them try and fix it.

But I do appreciate all the write ups and follow ups.
that sums it up perfectly. If my neighbor didn't tell me i'd be unlikely to notice. I want it to work correctly, but not sure that it is ultra important, and concerned the cure will be worse than the disease. Sigh.

Reactions: jm404
Looking at these photos - I kind of wonder if it is by design? Hear me out.

If the lid is fully open, the the most amount of light can shine into the console. Thus, why would you have a light on. When it is halfway closed, you want some lights since only half the exterior light can come in.

Thoughts?
good try. i think the car's interior lighting is worse than the french restuarant i went to where you needed your phone light to read the menu. I think the overhead interior lights are simply too anemic. Of course, Elon might call this a feature, btu I think at the end of the day, they wired the switch incorrectly.

Reactions: leonwu and cwanja
I tent to agree with Gary - at night, you need the light if the lid is open, given theres no other light source aside from the massive screen.

In the lid is half close, I dont think people would be needing the light to rummage through the consol, especially with the lid half closed.