Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled off the panel that holds the wireless chargers last night. I can see the switch but barely. It's pretty far back and under a lot of support material. I think it needs the whole top of the console to be removed, which in turn requires the sides to come off.... at least. So even for just a switch replacement it's going to be rather invasive.

minor update. My first experience with the Tesla "ranger" was a bust.
kudos and high marks for speed between request and appointment - picked up the car wednesday, service request wednesday night, ranger appointment today. I think that's quick.
Poor score for ranger though.
I literally had to honk my horn and have him come back after I was able to demonstrate the issue to him - he coudln't see it, and booked out of my area like a bat out of hell (sorry meatloaf) - he did come back when i honked. I turned the headlights lights to on (um, duh). he had them at off. whether he put them on or not i wasn't sure - was quick. he told me to take a video in the dark and send over.

anyway, with them on, i put my hand in the bottom and you could BARELY see light hitting my knuckles. and he could see halfway it was light, and all the way open it went out, and as the lid was closing more than half it was staying on.

He told me to send a video anyway, and he would write it up. He also acted (or wasn't acting) that he had never seen this before. He was also disinterested with 3 other issues I wanted to go over with him (the door latch was something i tried to add to the service request last night).

Upshot - I did the Tesla chat thing, and my car will go into the SC and get everything resolved.
This was something I meant to look at during pickup, but the car was so "perfect" that I didn't care - and still barely care. but with the other issues, yeah, i'd like it working as it is supposed to.

I'll report back if/when I know more. As stated earlier in this thread, I hope they don't make things worse!
I'd like the console issue resolved, so I can transfer my crap into it - a music USB, various charging cables, change, etc. - all the stuff i had in the center console from my prior car.

Last edited:
I can't upload the files here - mp4's etc. not allowed. Anyway, not sure it's worth the inconvenience of the repair - if my other issues stabilize i might cancel and have them do it if/when the car has major issues.
yeah, i can't upload. i converted the file extension from mp4 to jpg and the system wouldn't take it. i'd need to host is somewhere.
hey....hmmm...okay, here's a dropbox link for anyone interested, i'll keep this live for maybe a week or so. hope i did it correctly!

Reactions: cwanja
I can't upload the files here - mp4's etc. not allowed. Anyway, not sure it's worth the inconvenience of the repair - if my other issues stabilize i might cancel and have them do it if/when the car has major issues.
yeah, i can't upload. i converted the file extension from mp4 to jpg and the system wouldn't take it. i'd need to host is somewhere.
hey....hmmm...okay, here's a dropbox link for anyone interested, i'll keep this live for maybe a week or so. hope i did it correctly!
Mov
if you put you hand over to either side you will find the strip lights under the rail. They aren't very bright. You can also see them with a mirror.

Hi all,
i'm on the fence. i have a service appointment for monday - not sure it's worth bringing the car in just for the console. all my other issues are minor or resolved.
meanwhile, because of this !@#$Q@#$ console, and the thought of it being serviced or removed, i am leaving it empty. I have an EZ PASS temporarily in the front upper sliding part.
I've not installed any of my USB cables or adapters.
Wireless controller adapter.
USB stick for extra music.
hairbrush ("Hey baby, I'm driving an S....wait, come back...."
spare coins for meters (do they still use coins?)
and the zillion of other items from my last car.

It's about a 45 minute drive each way. I"ll get a loaner, or i'll sit there for 3 plus hours.
Either way, not sure how important this is to me. it's annoying, but like a mosquito bite. preferably one without the zika virus.

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond
Hi all,
i'm on the fence. i have a service appointment for monday - not sure it's worth bringing the car in just for the console. all my other issues are minor or resolved.
meanwhile, because of this !@#$Q@#$ console, and the thought of it being serviced or removed, i am leaving it empty. I have an EZ PASS temporarily in the front upper sliding part.
I've not installed any of my USB cables or adapters.
Wireless controller adapter.
USB stick for extra music.
hairbrush ("Hey baby, I'm driving an S....wait, come back...."
spare coins for meters (do they still use coins?)
and the zillion of other items from my last car.

It's about a 45 minute drive each way. I"ll get a loaner, or i'll sit there for 3 plus hours.
Either way, not sure how important this is to me. it's annoying, but like a mosquito bite. preferably one without the zika virus.
I'm bringing my in tomorrow (no loaner though, just 2 uber credits but I may just sit at their shop for 3 hours) so they can look at the drawer light, replace a small sliding drawer that had a "blemish rip" on delivery, and check my alignment. Will let you know what, if any, they do to address the light thing.

Honestly, if it wasn't for this forum, I would have been completely oblivious to it. I liken it to a small paint chip; has no real material impact on the car and no one would notice, except you because you know its there.

Well I was oblivious to this until I saw this thread and had to check and yes, mine console light is reversed as well. I think I need to stop reading these forums or I’ll keep finding all these screw ups.

Just kidding of course. This screw up really doesn’t bother me. I’ll live with it since I won’t really notice it and I don’t want a service tech tearing up my console.

Reactions: jm404
Hi all,
I have an appt for friday @ paramus to finally get my tires swapped to A/S and I included this issue with my service request since I'll be there anyway. Still convinced our cars were on the truck. We'll see what they say about the light.

Salt Lake City, UT service center:
432FA50A-EC62-4167-9B56-04A1A0A8EDAB.jpeg