Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PLAID damaged by TESLA minutes before delivery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have no leverage. There's a line of people waiting for their cars behind you and Tesla will gladly give your car to someone else.
I really don’t get what you are saying…

I could just not buy the car altogether or any Tesla ever for that matter. I could sell all of my holdings of stock in their company and never buy that again as well. I understand overall 1 car/individual/action will have little to no impact but over time the effects can become more apparent. I’ve purchased 3 cars this year, normally a few every year or two. This is my households first Tesla, which I may love and buy more right away. Over my lifetime it could have much more impact, I’m only 38. I could do my best to detract my friends, family, public forums, online reviews and others away from the brand. Nearly all these manufacturers are going to catch up in the next 10 years and it’s going to be a serious EV market with serious competition. You may or may not be a forever fan but as of now I am still undecided if Tesla is the end all. I’ve never even driven or sat in a Tesla and ordered the Plaid. You would think that customer retention and satisfaction would be important for a company. I don’t know if you are considering any of that “leverage” but I think I’ve got a pretty substantial potential to have a negative impact albeit of a very small degree. I don’t think that any company wants to go backwards in anyway or think in the terms of “who cares this guy doesn’t have any leverage” when buying their top of the line model/platform new.

Bottom line my delivery experience of a vehicle like this falls in the 0.01% category I’m sure and most don’t or won’t experience anything more than a delay or a manufacturer defect. Having your new car damaged and needing body/paint work is a different animal and IMO falls into a different category.

I am more than likely going to take have to take further and more direct action, Ill just need to figure out the right approach. First, I’ll contact Tesla directly on Monday and see what I can sort out at the lowest level possible.

I really don’t get what you are saying…

I could just not buy the car altogether or any Tesla ever for that matter. I could sell all of my holdings of stock in their company and never buy that again as well. I understand overall 1 car/individual/action will have little to no impact but over time the effects can become more apparent. I’ve purchased 3 cars this year, normally a few every year or two. This is my households first Tesla, which I may love and buy more right away. Over my lifetime it could have much more impact, I’m only 38. I could do my best to detract my friends, family, public forums, online reviews and others away from the brand. Nearly all these manufacturers are going to catch up in the next 10 years and it’s going to be a serious EV market with serious competition. You may or may not be a forever fan but as of now I am still undecided if Tesla is the end all. I’ve never even driven or sat in a Tesla and ordered the Plaid. You would think that customer retention and satisfaction would be important for a company. I don’t know if you are considering any of that “leverage” but I think I’ve got a pretty substantial potential to have a negative impact albeit of a very small degree. I don’t think that any company wants to go backwards in anyway or think in the terms of “who cares this guy doesn’t have any leverage” when buying their top of the line model/platform new.

Bottom line my delivery experience of a vehicle like this falls in the 0.01% category I’m sure and most don’t or won’t experience anything more than a delay or a manufacturer defect. Having your new car damaged and needing body/paint work is a different animal and IMO falls into a different category.

I am more than likely going to take have to take further and more direct action, Ill just need to figure out the right approach. First, I’ll contact Tesla directly on Monday and see what I can sort out at the lowest level possible.

You're simply wrong. Nobody cares about any of this at Tesla. You're either a customer or a nuisance. You're setting yourself up for massive disappointment down the line with that kind of attitude. You're not buying a Porsche.

I can’t say I fully agree. If you were at say Lowe’s and the employee hit your car with a forklift, or even the employee collecting carts hit your car with a cart while pushing them into the store from the parking lot it would be a Lowe’s thing. Lowe’s would still be responsible for the damage as their employee cause the damage.

This car was in Tesla’s complete care, at their private facility and possession when their employee opened a door and didn’t account for the wind and allowed it to slam into the door of this car that belongs to me as I’ve purchased it.

Completely agree it was an accident but it is very much still a Tesla thing.
I think it is best to have the right expectation- there is a big line of people waiting for Tesla cars, so Tesla will most likely not give FSD or anything free, on top of that Tesla is currently not know for its great or fantastic customer service ( I hope this changes in future for the better benefit of all users). At this point in time it is a mental disappointment, the car once fixed will be a new car. For your information similar things do happen in the factory floor during the car assembly and before the car arrives in the delivery lot, it's just that we don't get to know about it. your only other option is to refuse delivery and get back in the que. Its is your car as you have paid for it, so you need to make the decision.

If it bothers you----just take them up on their offer to not accept the car. End of story.

A few years back we were picking up our car at BMW after some routine repairs when one of their employees hit our car with another car. We saw it happen some 20 feet away from us. And I am not making this up-----they went to great lengths to appease us by reassuring us over and over how they weren't going to charge us for the body work???? That was it. After some 20 minutes of their nonsense I flat out told them (1) we weren't paying for the body work under any circumstances, and (2) we expected 'something' such as a credit against future work; a free oil change or two; a deal on tires we were planning on getting the following month. They countered with a 'special deal' on the tires---------which was still some $50 to $100 HIGHER than their ads on the local tv and in the local newspaper that same day. When this was pointed out to them they went back to how we should be grateful we were getting the body work done at no cost.

Another time with a GM car, the reputable PPF installer pulled off about 1/3 of the paint on the front bumper and lower hood area of a brand new corvette when adjusting the position of the PPF. Turns out the front of the car had been damaged somewhere between coming off the line at the plant and before it was loaded for delivery-----and the paint job was so poor it came off as the PPF was adjusted. Dealer did offer to repaint it or allow me to take it to any body shop I wanted, but would not negate the sale. Lesson learned------the manufacturers do not even have to notify the dealers of such damage; nor do the dealers have to inform the buyers if the damage is under a certain dollar amoiunt-----at least this is what we were told at that time. So the end customers never know (until we go to turn it in and their appraiser notices the poor paint job.

I know a lot of Tesla fan boys in this site will say it’s not a big deal. We’ll, maybe to them. But if we’re me, I’d be pissed. It really depends on how much it will bother you to have paid $150k (with tax) for a car that’s been damaged and repaired.

If history holds true, Tesla isn’t going to give you anything. Read the forum. Many unhappy customers with issues and they just don’t compensate customers for their errors. They don’t need to. There are many buyers who will gladly buy the car once it’s been repaired. Why? Because Tesla probably won’t tell them about the damage.

Does anyone remember the lawsuits BMW had to pay off because of similar issues? They sold cars that had minor paint/body repairs without telling customers. It cost them a lot of money. If Tesla gets caught selling repaired cars, what will really happen?

If it was my car, I wouldn’t accept it. The car is going to be repaired and painted, which may or may not show up on carfax. Even if it doesn’t show up, any paint meter will show it’s been repainted and if asked, you’ll need to disclose the damage to future buyers. If you trade it later on, same thing. The dealer will ask if it’s ever been damaged and you’ll need to disclose the damage. When you sell it, many buyers will skip buying a car with this type of damage. I know I wouldn’t buy it. Or, the next buyer will want a discount. The bottom line is, I’d skip this car and ask them to order you a new one. But what you do, is your call. Maybe it won’t bother you and that’s cool too. I’m just weird about my car’s.

I’ve already purchased the car and I don’t have it and have to wait at least a week or more longer to receive.
I'm curious why you paid for the car before your own personal inspection using various checklists, etc. available on the forum. I just picked up mine and payment / delivery acceptance was the very last thing I did before driving away.

Regarding all of the other comments, accidents happen and Tesla's communication along with sharing pictures is a lot better than we've heard in other circumstances. I would trust (but verify) that the car can be fixed entirely to your satisfaction, and then accept delivery when your happy with how it looks. I'm sure they will get it right.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I’m UK based, so things may be different. But a few years ago my wife ordered a Mini. On the way to the dealer to collect it they rang to say someone had reversed into the side and bent a panel. We arrived and looked at the damage, the dealer asked if we wanted the car repaired. We declined and said we wanted a new car, they agreed and loaned us the damaged car until the replacement turned up about 2 months later. They also added a few options on the replacement car as compensation for the hassle.

That was on a £15k car, for the price of a Model S I’d be expecting the same loan/replacement experience plus some goodwill compensation.

Reactions: jebinc and PLAIDsky
I'm curious why you paid for the car before your own personal inspection using various checklists, etc. available on the forum. I just picked up mine and payment / delivery acceptance was the very last thing I did before driving away.

Regarding all of the other comments, accidents happen and Tesla's communication along with sharing pictures is a lot better than we've heard in other circumstances. I would trust (but verify) that the car can be fixed entirely to your satisfaction, and then accept delivery when your happy with how it looks. I'm sure they will get it right.
Teslas process is very untraditional and much different than any other car buying process. I got a message on the app and it requested payment for the vehicle before delivery. I don’t know, I was just following along with the steps on the app to get my car. Like I said I’m brand new to this forum and Tesla… along with the processes. I wasn’t aware there was another option. Literally almost everything Tesla does is different so it was all foreign to me.

Reactions: Serayne and byeLT4
I’m UK based, so things may be different. But a few years ago my wife ordered a Mini. On the way to the dealer to collect it they rang to say someone had reversed into the side and bent a panel. We arrived and looked at the damage, the dealer asked if we wanted the car repaired. We declined and said we wanted a new car, they agreed and loaned us the damaged car until the replacement turned up about 2 months later. They also added a few options on the replacement car as compensation for the hassle.

That was on a £15k car, for the price of a Model S I’d be expecting the same loan/replacement experience plus some goodwill compensation.
These are my thoughts EXACTLY

Teslas process is very untraditional and much different than any other car buying process. I got a message on the app and it requested payment for the vehicle before delivery. I don’t know, I was just following along with the steps on the app to get my car. Like I said I’m brand new to this forum and Tesla… along with the processes. I wasn’t aware there was another option. Literally almost everything Tesla does is different so it was all foreign to me.
Got it. Well you've paid but have not Accepted Delivery, which is another button on the app that's required before you can set up you phone, connect to car, use the keys, etc. So either ask them to fix and show you the results (before accepting) or decline and ***wait*** for another. Given the impact on the door seam, it seems more likely they will replace the door. I wouldn't worry about the paint match at all, but you can obviously see for yourself.

Reactions: PLAIDsky
As I said earlier, it is best to have the right expectation when dealing with Tesla. When my friend purchased his first Tesla Model S many years ago, it included a free tour of the Fremont factory- we were happy to tag along with my friend. Customer service at Service center used to be much better than Lexus service. Now you can't even get anyone on the phone. Times have changed, Tesla is enormously successful in selling their cars and Customer satisfaction has taken a back seat. Hope things change in the future.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Got it. Well you've paid but have not Accepted Delivery, which is another button on the app that's required before you can set up you phone, connect to car, use the keys, etc. So either ask them to fix and show you the results (before accepting) or decline and ***wait*** for another. Given the impact on the door seam, it seems more likely they will replace the door. I wouldn't worry about the paint match at all, but you can obviously see for yourself.
Many here who have had damaged cars in repair often waited weeks or longer for Tesla to get body work completed. Since OP is going to have a wait, it might as well be for a new car!

Soo I wonder how it’s going to work when the assigned vin car has been paid for in full, and they’ve already got temp tags on the car for me based on my insurance coverage for the car.

I think it’s going to get messy if/when I refuse the car. I don’t know how all that works from a legal standpoint. The car hasn’t been registered yet or taken possession of obviously but otherwise it’s mine. Any ideas?

My advise for what it’s worth.
Lower your expectations and let someone at the Tesla SC know how you feel. Give them an opportunity to make you feel better.
As has been said, you have no leverage, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. Perhaps you’ll get some swag…
I had an issue at delivery with my MS 100D.
While I was waiting for them to resolve it a bag appeared with a few gifts including a Tesla Corporate Jacket. A very nice gesture for a minor inconvenience.
I suggest you take the honey versus the vinegar approach. At the very least you may find yourself getting special treatment down the road when you may need it.

I honestly wonder IF I were to reject the vehicle… would they disclose both paint and body work done on the car to the new buyer?

No and they'd be under no obligation to do so. Cars get damaged all the time during delivery (from every manufacturer) and the people purchasing them almost never find out.

Also - take a deep breath. This was an accident and I am sure they will make good on the repair and any concerns or reservations you have will melt away as soon as you take delivery and feel the instant gratification of driving a Tesla.

That being said, I would certainly think that you would be entitled to a loaner especially if you already paid for the car while it is being repaired. As far as a pricing concession or a free upgrade to FSD, I don't think that's likely but maybe they could hook you up with a free wall charger or something (never hurts to ask). Depends how far up the ladder you are willing to go.

My advise for what it’s worth.
Lower your expectations and let someone at the Tesla SC know how you feel. Give them an opportunity to make you feel better.
As has been said, you have no leverage, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. Perhaps you’ll get some swag…
I had an issue at delivery with my MS 100D.
While I was waiting for them to resolve it a bag appeared with a few gifts including a Tesla Corporate Jacket. A very nice gesture for a minor inconvenience.
I suggest you take the honey versus the vinegar approach. At the very least you may find yourself getting special treatment down the road when you may need it.
I appreciate the comment and please don’t misunderstand… I am not MAD.

I AM at this point dissatisfied, disappointed and frustrated as I feel most would certainly be in the same scenario. I’m not an a$$hole nor would I ever approach a scenario as one without cause.

Likewise, I am far from a pushover or conformist and will not just yield at a point bc most will or would. I will certainly give them a chance to make it better before taking any offensive or even defensive posture for that matter.