Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Owners PSA: Ifhate the Yoke/Turn Signals/Horn, please complain to the NHTSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to agree with you. I'm sure Tesla fans will tell me to just get used to it but it is dangerous. This is the 5th Tesla that I have owned and I love them all. The yoke is an interesting idea but in practice it is poorly executed. Parking and city driving are particularly tricky. The fact is...there were no cars to test drive before ordering so you really can't make an informed decision before ordering.
In most cases, I'd say I agree that you have a right to be upset. But, being that Tesla can't hardly produce any Model S cars right now, you could probably sell the car for more than you paid for it by listing it on E-bay. So, at least for right now, buyers have the luxury of buying the car and changing their mind and probably still come out ahead. That won't always be the case. When production resumes at normal levels, then it will be like any other car that loses 20% in the first day. By then, there should be plenty available to test drive or rent from Turo to test it out if you have doubts.

Does Tesla still have the 7 day return policy? I think so. Usually is the case, especially on purchases where the buyer is unable to test drive the car first. So that's another option as well.

For me, I was able to simulate it by driving my own car as if the top didn't exist and hated it. That alone told me I wouldn't be buying the car, combined with the other issues I've discussed over and over. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive the Plaid version and test it out. All of my concerns, including those with the steering wheel were validated. I had hoped I would feel differently when actually seeing and driving it, but, sometimes the obvious is simply the obvious. It certainly was with the new Model S. Again, for my own personal tastes, having also driven Tesla cars for 9 years, including a short stint with the Model 3, which I hated, in comparison to my Model S, I already knew that I would not be a fan of the Model S. It took all the things I hated about the 3 and amplified them by 10, simply adding more reasons for me personally to hate it. Simply put, I love driver friendly functions. The cars were prematurely designed to be self driving when such technology doesn't exist it. When it does, I'll reconsider. Until then, after 9 consecutive years, sadly my current Tesla will be my last, at least for a while. More sadly for Tesla, in my business, I come across A LOT of Tesla owners. At least of those that I've met, at least 6 in 10 are in agreement when it comes to the Model S. They all agree its capabilities are INCREDIBLE, but are also those that still want a car to just be a car that's "practical" to operate on daily basis. Especially for those that use their cars for work, not just to drive to and from work, but spend far more significant time in their cars for their work.

Welp I guess it’s time to cancel Tesla. Cancel culture shall strike again.

seriously though, you knew what you were getting because like most everyone on the planet that follows Tesla saw the yoke and so far plenty of people have bought it.

I know change can be hard on some people especially when it’s unexpected but this was completely and totally expected when you chose your interior color option on the Tesla site the yoke was staring right at you. This isn’t a pair of shoes that squishes your pinky toe or a pair of skinny jeans that cup your balls a little too tight it’s a 140,000 ish vehicle. First world problem fir sure.

This is nothing more than someone abusing the system. Lame.

Lol…LOL…Drama Queen much?! I’m 1,000,000% NOT worried about “running into a situation where lives are lost” because I have a touch turn indicator, versus a stalk (where the touch turn allows me to keep both hands on the yoke and simply move my thumb. lololol).

I’ve been driving both personally and professionally on road / off road for decades (probably longer than you’ve been alive) and this “issue” you’re trying to make a big deal, is honestly…a non issue (safety or otherwise). I’m not being paid to say or not say anything about the S or the Yoke. I have it. I love it. I consider it both safe and generally superior. Are there tweaks they can make ? I’m sure..but generally I prefer it and wouldn’t swap it. That’s it. You’re under zero obligation to agree with me. That’s 1000% fine..but simply because you “disagree” that doesn’t validate your opinion. My opinion is my own, but has been formed (in this) with real world, road tested experience - now having about 2,000 miles with the Yoke. Despite what some (you) may say, final word (for me)…”the Yoke..IS Dope!”
There you go again. We get it. Your in the 1% who like it. So what. The joke yoke sucks.

You seem to be under the impression that you will actually be using the turn signals and yoke in the near future.

Sell your car and buy an older one Plaid_Sad. Don't try and ruin it for the rest of us.
Hopefully the safety board will step in, stop all this BS, force Tesla to remove the yokes and reinstall round steering wheels and the stalks.

there… fixed it for all of you.

Reactions: EVTracker
In most cases, I'd say I agree that you have a right to be upset. But, being that Tesla can't hardly produce any Model S cars right now, you could probably sell the car for more than you paid for it by listing it on E-bay. So, at least for right now, buyers have the luxury of buying the car and changing their mind and probably still come out ahead. That won't always be the case. When production resumes at normal levels, then it will be like any other car that loses 20% in the first day. By then, there should be plenty available to test drive or rent from Turo to test it out if you have doubts.

Does Tesla still have the 7 day return policy? I think so. Usually is the case, especially on purchases where the buyer is unable to test drive the car first. So that's another option as well.

For me, I was able to simulate it by driving my own car as if the top didn't exist and hated it. That alone told me I wouldn't be buying the car, combined with the other issues I've discussed over and over. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive the Plaid version and test it out. All of my concerns, including those with the steering wheel were validated. I had hoped I would feel differently when actually seeing and driving it, but, sometimes the obvious is simply the obvious. It certainly was with the new Model S. Again, for my own personal tastes, having also driven Tesla cars for 9 years, including a short stint with the Model 3, which I hated, in comparison to my Model S, I already knew that I would not be a fan of the Model S. It took all the things I hated about the 3 and amplified them by 10, simply adding more reasons for me personally to hate it. Simply put, I love driver friendly functions. The cars were prematurely designed to be self driving when such technology doesn't exist it. When it does, I'll reconsider. Until then, after 9 consecutive years, sadly my current Tesla will be my last, at least for a while. More sadly for Tesla, in my business, I come across A LOT of Tesla owners. At least of those that I've met, at least 6 in 10 are in agreement when it comes to the Model S. They all agree its capabilities are INCREDIBLE, but are also those that still want a car to just be a car that's "practical" to operate on daily basis. Especially for those that use their cars for work, not just to drive to and from work, but spend far more significant time in their cars for their work.
Exactly. You are correct.

The biggest annoyance is probably the turn signals. I’ve mostly given up using them for lane changes due to the lack of any way to *consistently* differentiate between a ‘soft’ press for momentary blink and ‘hard’ press for blink until turn. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not being totally honest with themselves. (Edit: yes, I know I could just use two hard presses to signal a lane change, but I’m lazy and don’t want to.)
I agree with this 100%. Tesla needs to change the differentiation between a ‘soft’ press and ‘hard’ press. Actually, just give us the STANDARD triple-blink!
Changing lanes with blinker is horrible. It's extremely annoying to have to turn your lane signal off.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
I couldn’t DISAGREE More with this thread’s original post.

I have a Refreshed LR S and I’m a 1,000% fan of the Yoke.

The turn indicators are easier and more intuitive than turn stalks. You don’t have to pull either of your hands off the wheel to activate (like you do with a traditional wheel) it’s literally a thumb movement over a few degrees wherein the ONLy part of your body that is moving is the thumb. Great!

Similarly, other elements on the Yoke, like the horn or microphone or wipers simply take a short re-train of your mind map…that in my experience…doesn’t take long at all.

Being able to see the viewing screen, unencumbered (compared to having to always look under or over or through the rounded wheel) is pure joy and function.

In regular driving conditions, I find the feel and function of the Yoke actually superior to that of a rounded wheel.

Particularly so, at greater freeway situations and speeds.

On surface streets the VAST majority of the time, turns do not require any more than a 25, 45, up to 90 degree angle…which doesn’t require ANY special movement(s) and is accomplished with your hands arms not having to shift -anything.-

In situations where you’re…say..at slow speed and doing something like a u-turn (a 180 degree movement), whether your hand over hand or using a finger on the lipped area of the Yoke or using a palm as some so on a rounded wheel…all…work! (it just requires a baby learning curve over first days, that becomes completely ingrained and comfortable/functional over time. That’s it.

For me the benefits and looks of the Yoke far out weight any negatives and things like the turn indicators (over time) become truly more functional/easy/less effort than a traditional turn stalk and things like activating and de-activating FSD (compared to older models or the 3 or Y with the Stalk) is Fantastic and just…Better!

Could not disagree more, as I wouldn’t want anything -But- a Yoke at this point.
I'm not sure what seating position you were in when you had the steering wheel in the Model S or X block either the instrument cluster or the touch sreen, but I never did. However the yoke, does block 4 square inches of the lower left corner of the horizontal screen without leaning right. After almost 3 months and over 5000 miles with my Plaid Model S, I'm mostly used to using the yoke, but I don't think I'll ever like the horizontal screen for numerous reasons, too many to detail here.

Ill keep it short. I race, have for years. I have a 2017 S, and love it. I really wanted the Plaid for the 0-60 speed. I can afford one...
But..

The yoke is dangerous, especially in a slide/spin/Emergency handling situation. As someone said, of the total range was like a formula car, it would be ok, but you won't find any racer putting a yoke on a full bodied race car with street like steering ratios.

So I am one who will not buy. The yoke is a joke in my opinion. Those who like it, awesome.. Enjoy!

Ill keep it short. I race, have for years. I have a 2017 S, and love it. I really wanted the Plaid for the 0-60 speed. I can afford one...
But..

The yoke is dangerous, especially in a slide/spin/Emergency handling situation. As someone said, of the total range was like a formula car, it would be ok, but you won't find any racer putting a yoke on a full bodied race car with street like steering ratios.

So I am one who will not buy. The yoke is a joke in my opinion. Those who like it, awesome.. Enjoy!
Again unless you have driven one how can you comment?

I’ve not reviewed all the comments here and though I’m rarely on the forum, I did want to take a moment to update my experience with the Yoke, since I’ve now had the refreshed S for months now and over 6,000 miles.

I’ve also got experience with the 2018 S and have two other Tesla vehicles, so…I’m familiar with Tesla generally and the differences between the traditional steering within Tesla vehicles and now the re-defined/ Yoke.

For background..I’ve driven in off road and on road high speed and emergency situations professionally, for decades.

I’m not being paid by Tesla

I don’t put myself in the “fan boy” camp, but do genuinely generally love their products and mission.

Ok. Disclaimers done.

I think the Yoke is NOT a safety issue the way it’s repeatedly been framed here and other places.

Like -everything- in life…you get used to what you get used to.

There is a reason people are comfortable in instinctively honking a horn by depressing the “center” of a steering wheel. It’s not because your brain knew from birth to do it…it’s because of “mind mapping” and your brain having been trained, over time..this is where the horn is.

So, re: training and features…

The turn indicators, took a few days to get used to. They are (at this point…months deep) genuinely intuitive / instinctual to me.

I actually find that when I (infrequently) drive our Model Y, I sometimes catch myself wanting to turn on the turn indicators as I normally would in the refreshed S and a little (actually) annoyed by NOT being able to do it quicker/easier (as I now normally get to do).

What I mean by all this is:

My brain now instinctively wants to move my thumb when intending to turn and I find it’s quicker and safer and I much prefer.

Not a little prefer, not moderately prefer, but would want it on all my cars if I had such a choice.

The positioning/movement is a more elegant and streamlined way of turning that actually promotes safety and speed.

Engaging and disengaging FSD with similarly no substantive hand movement and “one click” is…awesome/joy.

Viewing of your dashboard and roadway are enhanced by the design and I genuinely love that too.

Aesthetically, I find it much more contemporary and pleasing.

Finally, and to what seems to historically be the biggest contention (particularly, from
what I’ve read, with folks who -don’t- have the car and often haven’t even driven it)…is this sense that the Yoke is somehow crazy dangerous and around every corner looms imminent disaster and carnage, because your not going to be able to maneuver and escape a collision…or you’ll cause one because of “faulty” design and what I’d term as “Yoke is a Joke Syndrome.”

My experience is that the Yoke functions safety and at times is actually superior to a traditional steering wheel (siuch as when your on a freeway and little movement of the steering wheel is generally involved).

High speed driving with the Yoke is preferable in my opinion and it is super comfortable in how your hands are positioned and I generally feel MORE sure and in control with that hand grip.

The only learning curve worth mentioning is where lower speed turns of substantial arc are concerned and in this..is is simply a matter of becoming accustomed to the Yoke in the same way one might when holding a different version of an iPhone (that is a Max size versus a smaller design. It just takes getting used to what is where and how your hand…or in this case..hands, best need to position to optimize).

While It’s not remotely as complex..it’s also akin to when someone drives a manual transmission versus an automatic transmission. Both work great, but you just need to get used to what is where and then it becomes intuitive, over time.

When you turn using the Yoke, reality is MOST of the time, your hand positioning on the two side handles isn’t even moving.

In instances where you need to, there is both interior space on the yoke or the two outward protruding portions of the left and right handles that serve well to make the 180 degree turn situations.

In truth, ALL of the old school mechanisms people use in day to day driving (including things like “palming” the wheel…are do-able with the Yoke in similar fashion (though I’m not trying to advocate for palming, etc), it just takes a little getting used to it.

I recognize (as I write this) that there will be some that remain unconvinced and are ardent in their position regardless of what others (with the Yoke) may say. I also recognize there are some who post here and elsewhere that claim they have or have had the Yoke and don’t prefer or hate it.

All that’s fine for them…as my purpose here isn’t to try to mild meld people to my view, but rather, to simply provide some additional information (for those with interest) in this area that feels quite polarized and from someone that actually has had extensive time and experience now with the Yoke.

In summary, for me…

The Yoke is Dope!

I’ve not reviewed all the comments here and though I’m rarely on the forum, I did want to take a moment to update my experience with the Yoke, since I’ve now had the refreshed S for months now and over 6,000 miles.

I’ve also got experience with the 2018 S and have two other Tesla vehicles, so…I’m familiar with Tesla generally and the differences between the traditional steering within Tesla vehicles and now the re-defined/ Yoke.

For background..I’ve driven in off road and on road high speed and emergency situations professionally, for decades.

I’m not being paid by Tesla

I don’t put myself in the “fan boy” camp, but do genuinely generally love their products and mission.

Ok. Disclaimers done.

I think the Yoke is NOT a safety issue the way it’s repeatedly been framed here and other places.

Like -everything- in life…you get used to what you get used to.

There is a reason people are comfortable in instinctively honking a horn by depressing the “center” of a steering wheel. It’s not because your brain knew from birth to do it…it’s because of “mind mapping” and your brain having been trained, over time..this is where the horn is.

So, re: training and features…

The turn indicators, took a few days to get used to. They are (at this point…months deep) genuinely intuitive / instinctual to me.

I actually find that when I (infrequently) drive our Model Y, I sometimes catch myself wanting to turn on the turn indicators as I normally would in the refreshed S and a little (actually) annoyed by NOT being able to do it quicker/easier (as I now normally get to do).

What I mean by all this is:

My brain now instinctively wants to move my thumb when intending to turn and I find it’s quicker and safer and I much prefer.

Not a little prefer, not moderately prefer, but would want it on all my cars if I had such a choice.

The positioning/movement is a more elegant and streamlined way of turning that actually promotes safety and speed.

Engaging and disengaging FSD with similarly no substantive hand movement and “one click” is…awesome/joy.

Viewing of your dashboard and roadway are enhanced by the design and I genuinely love that too.

Aesthetically, I find it much more contemporary and pleasing.

Finally, and to what seems to historically be the biggest contention (particularly, from
what I’ve read, with folks who -don’t- have the car and often haven’t even driven it)…is this sense that the Yoke is somehow crazy dangerous and around every corner looms imminent disaster and carnage, because your not going to be able to maneuver and escape a collision…or you’ll cause one because of “faulty” design and what I’d term as “Yoke is a Joke Syndrome.”

My experience is that the Yoke functions safety and at times is actually superior to a traditional steering wheel (siuch as when your on a freeway and little movement of the steering wheel is generally involved).

High speed driving with the Yoke is preferable in my opinion and it is super comfortable in how your hands are positioned and I generally feel MORE sure and in control with that hand grip.

The only learning curve worth mentioning is where lower speed turns of substantial arc are concerned and in this..is is simply a matter of becoming accustomed to the Yoke in the same way one might when holding a different version of an iPhone (that is a Max size versus a smaller design. It just takes getting used to what is where and how your hand…or in this case..hands, best need to position to optimize).

While It’s not remotely as complex..it’s also akin to when someone drives a manual transmission versus an automatic transmission. Both work great, but you just need to get used to what is where and then it becomes intuitive, over time.

When you turn using the Yoke, reality is MOST of the time, your hand positioning on the two side handles isn’t even moving.

In instances where you need to, there is both interior space on the yoke or the two outward protruding portions of the left and right handles that serve well to make the 180 degree turn situations.

In truth, ALL of the old school mechanisms people use in day to day driving (including things like “palming” the wheel…are do-able with the Yoke in similar fashion (though I’m not trying to advocate for palming, etc), it just takes a little getting used to it.

I recognize (as I write this) that there will be some that remain unconvinced and are ardent in their position regardless of what others (with the Yoke) may say. I also recognize there are some who post here and elsewhere that claim they have or have had the Yoke and don’t prefer or hate it.

All that’s fine for them…as my purpose here isn’t to try to mild meld people to my view, but rather, to simply provide some additional information (for those with interest) in this area that feels quite polarized and from someone that actually has had extensive time and experience now with the Yoke.

In summary, for me…

The Yoke is Dope!
The truth is the yoke is just stupid.

RECALL.

• Disagree
Reactions: TripleTrucker
Brilliant argument. Lol. Just a big paint brush that it needs a recall..regardless of the experience/opinions of those who have actually experienced it, have used it extensively and are in the best position to know the up and down of it.

As I shared toward the end (in the hopes it might defuse decisiveness), my write up is seemingly not for you (someone with a clearly staunch viewpoint that is unaffected by new/relevant information).

I’d encourage you however to consider the following quote:

“A man, convinced against his will, is of the same mind.”

Best wishes in your road ahead.