Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Phone charging pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it me, or do the Plaid phone charging pads do nothing more than heat up the phone?
I did 2, one hour drives yesterday and put my iPhone 12 Pro Max (without a case) on the charging pad and noticed that the phone did not take any charge, although it did show the lightning bolt on the phone indicating it was charging.
The phone was hot, very hot after sitting there.
Same behavior on the passenger side as well.
I normally charge my phone at night on a wireless pad and it charges without any issue.

Anyone else experience this.

Is it me, or do the Plaid phone charging pads do nothing more than heat up the phone?
I did 2, one hour drives yesterday and put my iPhone 12 Pro Max (without a case) on the charging pad and noticed that the phone did not take any charge, although it did show the lightning bolt on the phone indicating it was charging.
The phone was hot, very hot after sitting there.
Same behavior on the passenger side as well.
I normally charge my phone at night on a wireless pad and it charges without any issue.

Anyone else experience this.
Unfortunately this is a common downside with wireless charging. There is a lot of heat that created when wireless charging, this is a common issue with not only Tesla wireless chargers but other brands as well. My recommendation is to take your phone out of its case and charge or charge via a cable

Also try rebooting your phone as well. I’ve had mine stop accepting a charge on my home wireless pad on occasion and that fixed it. I take delivery of my Plaid tomorrow, so I’ll chime in if I experience charging problems with my iPhone 12 Pro Max as well.

Thanks guys, but I never use a case. Of course, I rebooted the phone, but to reiterate. I charge the phone nightly on a wireless pad without issue and with significantly less heat.
The Plaid charger just holds the phone at the same SOC. It does not go up/down. Just get's hot 🔥

Thanks guys, but I never use a case. Of course, I rebooted the phone, but to reiterate. I charge the phone nightly on a wireless pad without issue and with significantly less heat.
The Plaid charger just holds the phone at the same SOC. It does not go up/down. Just get's hot 🔥

I have this issue on my LR+ and the other Audi's I have owned. I also do wirelessly charge at night with no overheating problems, I think it may have to do with the phone charging in a confined space like a car vs charging in an open room in a home where there may be not enough air circulation to cool it down. The suede like material may also be the culprit since it retains more heat.