Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'PLAID' text emblem placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to replace the flat graphic emblem that came on my 2022 with the text emblem that came on the 2021s. Wondering if anyone could quickly measure out these two spaces so I can place it correctly.

Thank you!

edf1c9c1-70bf-4265-85ea-c077516ac8b2.jpg-1024x786.jpeg

I will have to look later today. I just ordered the 2022 icon emblem to replace my PLAID text version. Seems like my service center has it in stock and will pick it up maybe today if they confirm. I'm still 50/50 about swapping it as the text emblem is small and discreet. The new badge is rather large and in a way causes symmetry imbalance. I'll have to throw it on with tape to see how I feel about it.

Reactions: yamanote
I will have to look later today. I just ordered the 2022 icon emblem to replace my PLAID text version. Seems like my service center has it in stock and will pick it up maybe today if they confirm. I'm still 50/50 about swapping it as the text emblem is small and discreet. The new badge is rather large and in a way causes symmetry imbalance. I'll have to throw it on with tape to see how I feel about it.
Sounds good - let me know about the placement of your original text emblem before you take it off, in case you ever decide to revert back!

I agree on the asymmetry of the big flat emblem. I like the smaller size of the original launch event graphic, but the tiny holes and gaps in that version seems like it would be annoying to clean without leaving lint or dust in it.

Sounds good - let me know about the placement of your original text emblem before you take it off, in case you ever decide to revert back!

I agree on the asymmetry of the big flat emblem. I like the smaller size of the original launch event graphic, but the tiny holes and gaps in that version seems like it would be annoying to clean without leaving lint or dust in it.
As a return favor, can you measure the positioning of your rectangular plaid logo? :) I was thinking of just overlapping the current lettering as there may be a low spot that is missing the ceramic coating.

As a return favor, can you measure the positioning of your rectangular plaid logo? :) I was thinking of just overlapping the current lettering as there may be a low spot that is missing the ceramic coating.
From the bottom right corner of the rectangular emblem:
5.6cm high
9.2cm to the right edge of the trunk lid

Left to right I get 3 1/4” and top to bottom 3 inches.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Nice. Love the new tail lights. Good idea on balancing out the logo. They could have simply made the text inside the new large emblem. What do you think of the new headlights? Performance wise they are brighter and better but saw one the other day and it reminds me of xenon.

Nice. Love the new tail lights. Good idea on balancing out the logo. They could have simply made the text inside the new large emblem. What do you think of the new headlights? Performance wise they are brighter and better but saw one the other day and it reminds me of xenon.
I've only had the car all of 3 days and already had a handful of people asking wtf the graphic logo meant so hopefully adding the text clarifies it for them 😂

New lights were the main reason I sold my 2021. They're much brighter and the light it casts is much more even- I always found the older LEDs to have significant hot spotting with dim zones between those spots making the beam look splotchy/uneven. IMO the quad beams coming down the road looks good too.

One other benefit of these I found specific to Canadian models. The eyebrow light on the older lights weren't bright enough to function as DRLs for Canada. As a result the low beams would constantly be on while driving even during the daytime, which always looked a little funny to me. With the newer lights, there's now a very bright edge of white LEDs (where the turn signal LEDs are) that function as the DRLs along with the eyebrow lights. I'd say these lights looking far better during the day (for Canadian models) outweighs the slightly older school look of the projector beams at night for me.

I've only had the car all of 3 days and already had a handful of people asking wtf the graphic logo meant so hopefully adding the text clarifies it for them 😂

New lights were the main reason I sold my 2021. They're much brighter and the light it casts is much more even- I always found the older LEDs to have significant hot spotting with dim zones between those spots making the beam look splotchy/uneven. IMO the quad beams coming down the road looks good too.

One other benefit of these I found specific to Canadian models. The eyebrow light on the older lights weren't bright enough to function as DRLs for Canada. As a result the low beams would constantly be on while driving even during the daytime, which always looked a little funny to me. With the newer lights, there's now a very bright edge of white LEDs (where the turn signal LEDs are) that function as the DRLs along with the eyebrow lights. I'd say these lights looking far better during the day (for Canadian models) outweighs the slightly older school look of the projector beams at night for me.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you lose trading or selling the 2021? I love my car cause it was built well with no nightmares of build quality issues I've seen and heard from others. I've spent a lot on PPF and Ceramic that I don't have the energy to trade up for new lights as it's not worth it. Tesla is a software company first and updates cars following the agile development process of continuous delivery. If they find a better way of implementing something, they will make the change. They have on average 4-6 enhancements to their assembly line and/or cars every month. It's unlike any other car company where they only make changes during mid-cycle-refresh or complete refresh. Your car could be outdated next month because they updated some key components that are not visible cosmetically. I was surprised to see them update the lights so soon after a refresh, but I will give my car the usual 4-5 years to see what they decide to do next.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you lose trading or selling the 2021? I love my car cause it was built well with no nightmares of build quality issues I've seen and heard from others. I've spent a lot on PPF and Ceramic that I don't have the energy to trade up for new lights as it's not worth it. Tesla is a software company first and updates cars following the agile development process of continuous delivery. If they find a better way of implementing something, they will make the change. They have on average 4-6 enhancements to their assembly line and/or cars every month. It's unlike any other car company where they only make changes during mid-cycle-refresh or complete refresh. Your car could be outdated next month because they updated some key components that are not visible cosmetically. I was surprised to see them update the lights so soon after a refresh, but I will give my car the usual 4-5 years to see what they decide to do next.
The lights are something I have complained about for years since my 2016 P100D, and are the one thing that I thought dated the car the most - particularly the tails which have been the same since 2012. I was even complaining about this at the launch of the refresh last year, so this is something that I felt was worth the upgrade (to me).

There aren't any other imminent changes Tesla could make that would make me feel the need to trade up again. I am sure there are other changes coming (Autopilot 4 hardware seems imminent for one) but nothing that matters enough to me, and with the new luxury tax coming into effect in Canada on September 1st, there is a reason I decided to trade up now before this car becomes another ~$20k more expensive.

My province recently began waiving provincial sales tax on used EVs, which is approx 21% on vehicles over $150k so there is a lot of demand for high end used EVs. As a result I was able to get close to today's MSRP for my Plaid (which I paid the original launch price for), and the next owner was happy to only have to pay 5% vs 26% tax. Obviously this is a unique situation and not something I'd expect others to be able to replicate - would I pay $20-30k more just for new lights under normal circumstances? - of course not.

There are a lot of other incremental changes I've noticed over the past few days as well and I am sure there will only be more as time goes on, so I concur that waiting until absolutely necessary to trade up is a good idea.

Last edited:
The lights are something I have complained about for years since my 2016 P100D, and are the one thing that I thought dated the car the most - particularly the tails which have been the same since 2012. I was even complaining about this at the launch of the refresh last year, so this is something that I felt was worth the upgrade (to me).

There aren't any other imminent changes Tesla could make that would make me feel the need to trade up again. I am sure there are other changes coming (Autopilot 4 hardware seems imminent for one) but nothing that matters enough to me, and with the new luxury tax coming into effect in Canada on September 1st, there is a reason I decided to trade up now before this car becomes another ~$20k more expensive.

My province recently began waiving provincial sales tax on used EVs, which is approx 21% on vehicles over $150k so there is a lot of demand for high end used EVs. As a result I was able to get close to today's MSRP for my Plaid (which I paid the original launch price for), and the next owner was happy to only have to pay 5% vs 26% tax. Obviously this is a unique situation and not something I'd expect others to be able to replicate - would I pay $20-30k more just for new lights under normal circumstances? - of course not.

There are a lot of other incremental changes I've noticed over the past few days as well and I am sure there will only be more as time goes on, so I concur that waiting until absolutely necessary to trade up is a good idea.
Yeah agreed. The new cup holders are another update. Not sure they’re entirely an improvement since you now can’t swap out the soft rubber insert and it looks a bit grungy after some use. That said they of course grip the cup a lot more immediate without having to buy an insert in the first place. 2021s we’re just plastic sides to the cup holders.

Yeah agreed. The new cup holders are another update. Not sure they’re entirely an improvement since you now can’t swap out the soft rubber insert and it looks a bit grungy after some use. That said they of course grip the cup a lot more immediate without having to buy an insert in the first place. 2021s we’re just plastic sides to the cup holders.
Didn't know about the cup holders. I am looking to buy an insert that have more grip and something you can take out for cleaning. If you look underneath the car, they continually improve connection points, casting, etc and like I said before, they make 4-6 changes per month and not follow the typical refresh cycle. Every future order will have something different whether it's visible or not. Good and bad I guess, because I usually buy new cars after a design refresh cycle, but with Tesla you just never know. The tilt screen is the one thing I wish I could have from the 2022's.

going back to the original topic, I am going to experiment, if it looks good, to have the "PLAID" text be applied on top of the rectangular plaid logo. I will experiment since I have both. My initial thought is that it will be too busy.

This is true with a lot of cars. Only Tesla owners who follow Tesla closely or car enthusiasts will know what a "PLAID" is logo or text. Spelling it out will not make a difference. If they don't know what the logo is, highly likely they don't know what plaid is or its reference to space balls. For many of the younger generation, they have never even seen space balls and their knowledge of Star Wars are the shitty prequels. I had the same problem with my BMW and Porsche's. Only the enthusiasts will know the difference between M cars or M-sport, AMG design vs. a true AMG, an S, 4S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S, GT2, GT3/RS... with that said, I'm swapping my "PLAID" text with the logo just because I like the look better and I don't care if they don't know what it is as long as they are in my rear-view mirror. IMO, putting too many badges will have Tesla owners, who know their cars, wonder if it's a true PLAID or if it's a poser who slapped on a spoiler and badge to pretend for one. At the end of the day, only you should care what your car is or looks like, and not try to satisfy what other people think. Among all my friends and family, only my nephew knows what a plaid is, to others it's just a model S and that I paid a *sugar* load of money for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamG
Don't forget the real reason to upgrade to the 2022... new hinges!

This is true with a lot of cars. Only Tesla owners who follow Tesla closely or car enthusiasts will know what a "PLAID" is logo or text. Spelling it out will not make a difference. If they don't know what the logo is, highly likely they don't know what plaid is or its reference to space balls. For many of the younger generation, they have never even seen space balls and their knowledge of Star Wars are the shitty prequels. I had the same problem with my BMW and Porsche's. Only the enthusiasts will know the difference between M cars or M-sport, AMG design vs. a true AMG, an S, 4S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S, GT2, GT3/RS... with that said, I'm swapping my "PLAID" text with the logo just because I like the look better and I don't care if they don't know what it is as long as they are in my rear-view mirror. IMO, putting too many badges will have Tesla owners, who know their cars, wonder if it's a true PLAID or if it's a poser who slapped on a spoiler and badge to pretend for one. At the end of the day, only you should care what your car is or looks like, and not try to satisfy what other people think. Among all my friends and family, only my nephew knows what a plaid is, to others it's just a model S and that I paid a *sugar* load of money for it.
Everyone who's asked me what the logo meant so far did know what the Plaid was, just not what the graphic meant. But then again my circle is mostly filled with car enthusiasts - they may not know the movie reference but they have certainly heard of the Plaid. Your mileage may vary.

Curious to see what the text looks like on top of the logo though. As mine sits, I like the balance between left/right, similar to how they used to put Model S on the left with the P100D etc logo on the right.

AOSK makes a nice insert for the 2021 cupholder btw

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG