Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. but what can you replace it with?

Taycan? $200k and slower than the Plaid.
Lucid Sapphire? $250k and the nearest service center is four hours away.

<shrug>
Exactly this. I, too, have all the vibrations. I did aftermarket N8tive links for the tires that wore out every 5k miles. Would love to have an alternative but right now you can get a new plaid for 90k- nothing even comes close in value. And it's not like the competition have perfect cars, they have issues too.

If they make a model 3 ludicrous/plaid that can go 2-2.5 to 60 I'd consider that as they seem to know how to build those cars.

Reactions: Maaz
I think the vibration fix might actually be coming! From Facebook, this person didn’t even mention having a vibration issue, but Tesla has added it to his service visit, and it matches in exact terminology someone else’s service request with their Model X from here:

Could this finally be the fix we’re waiting for? 🫣

@jebinc

Attachments

• IMG_4928.jpeg
    IMG_4928.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: Muzzman1 and jebinc
I think the vibration fix might actually be coming! From Facebook, this person didn’t even mention having a vibration issue, but Tesla has added it to his service visit, and it matches in exact terminology someone else’s service request with their Model X from here:

Could this finally be the fix we’re waiting for? 🫣

@jebinc
I remain dubious.

Not quite right. There are three vibrations, to recap:

1.) On the 2021, 2022, and 2023 refresh cars, that occurs between about 37-50mph (give or take). This isn’t always there on new cars (wasn’t on my 2021 till 1400 miles) but can be (noticeable on my 2022 from day 1).

2.) On 2022 and 2023 refresh cars (not 2021) a vibration that occurs around the same speed (sometimes a tad lower) that feels a lot like the first vibration above, but is much, much more noticeable. This goes away within a few minutes of driving, but it’s really obvious if you’re paying even slight attention. If this vibration stayed there and didn’t disappear within a few minutes, you’d have a lot more complaints on the forums.

3.) A higher-speed vibration at around 80mph. Affects some cars and not determined whether it’s 2021-2023 or not. This vibration hasn’t been discussed anywhere near as much as 1 or 2. Number 1 is the original vibration for refresh, with number 2 coming along after 2022 refresh cars were released. I have all three vibrations in my 2022.
Sad….😞

Exactly this. I, too, have all the vibrations. I did aftermarket N8tive links for the tires that wore out every 5k miles. Would love to have an alternative but right now you can get a new plaid for 90k- nothing even comes close in value. And it's not like the competition have perfect cars, they have issues too.

If they make a model 3 ludicrous/plaid that can go 2-2.5 to 60 I'd consider that as they seem to know how to build those cars.
High volume, with lots of investor eyes 👀👀👀 watching…

I’ve asked this before, but haven’t seen a response. Has anyone tried having the half shafts balanced? In my old hot rodding days, whenever we shortened or modified a drive shaft, we always made sure to have it balanced as the final step to avoid any potential vibrations. Perhaps whoever manufactures the half shafts for Tesla doesn’t take this step because they feel their tolerances are “close enough”?
The process is much like balancing a wheel/tire. They put the shaft on a machine and spin it really fast to determine the balance, then add small weights where needed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I can't say I blame you. It's such crap that 2.5 years later Tesla has made seemingly no effort to resolve it.
I’ve asked this before, but haven’t seen a response. Has anyone tried having the half shafts balanced? In my old hot rodding days, whenever we shortened or modified a drive shaft, we always made sure to have it balanced as the final step to avoid any potential vibrations. Perhaps whoever manufactures the half shafts for Tesla doesn’t take this step because they feel their tolerances are “close enough”?
The process is much like balancing a wheel/tire. They put the shaft on a machine and spin it really fast to determine the balance, then add small weights where needed.
Makes sense however these shafts are so short it’s not the same as a 6 foot driveshaft.

Reactions: jebinc