Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm doing around 38-42 mph and slightly press the accelerator I get vibration on the wheel and in the car. It almost feels like you've shifted in 5th gear on an ICE car and its slowly bogging down the motor. Of course if you press harder you don't get the vibration. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Anything before or after this speed doesn't have this issue. I'm wondering if the motors are not in sync at the speed?

The motors should be balanced individually and phasing doesn't matter. If it did, you'd have to have a fully locked driveline and no differentials because every time you turned, it would go out of phase.

I'm guessing it's a natural vibration they didn't tackle in NVH/motor isolation, or an out of spec rotating component (wheel/half shaft/rotor/etc...). Does it seem to come from one side of the vehicle?
Alternatively, it could be a calibration issue. Some flutter in the controller during a very specific set of variables.

• Informative
Reactions: MagnusMako
The motors should be balanced individually and phasing doesn't matter. If it did, you'd have to have a fully locked driveline and no differentials because every time you turned, it would go out of phase.

I'm guessing it's a natural vibration they didn't tackle in NVH/motor isolation, or an out of spec rotating component (wheel/half shaft/rotor/etc...). Does it seem to come from one side of the vehicle?
Alternatively, it could be a calibration issue. Some flutter in the controller during a very specific set of variables.
Seems to just come from the front end. Nothing I can see that tells me its in the rear. Does feel like a controller flutter, had them in golf carts.

Seems to just come from the front end. Nothing I can see that tells me its in the rear. Does feel like a controller flutter, had them in golf carts.
If you want to get hands on, swap your tires to the rear and see if the issue follows or goes away. I'm guessing it's a wheel/tire balance/runout issue. The motors are held to a very high standard when it comes to balancing and tolerances. The hubs are also pretty high tolerance. The half shafts and rotors are not held to very tight tolerances, and the wheels/tires have extremely loose tolerances (hence wheel weights).
You can balance a tire to get rid of almost all vibration, but if there is a lateral balance issue, it can present itself like this. It's easily fixed with a dynamic balancer and wheel weights.
If the wheel is out of round >1/8" it should be discarded/replaced because it cannot be fixed with weights. 1/8" is a rule of thumb though. On a car that is meant for this kind of performance, I would think that number would be lower. I can't imagine how an 1/8" out of round would feel/handle at 150+mph.

Good luck!

2021.12.4.7, however mine has been reduced after driving a few days, but its still there slightly. Definitely better, but still noticeable. Honestly some whistling wind noise around 80+ mph is more annoying to me now.

2021.12.4.7, however mine has been reduced after driving a few days, but its still there slightly. Definitely better, but still noticeable. Honestly some whistling wind noise around 80+ mph is more annoying to me now.
Do you have a service appointment? Do you think it is mechanical (vibration). I have the same issue. Would like to share the eventual resolution !!

If you want to get hands on, swap your tires to the rear and see if the issue follows or goes away. I'm guessing it's a wheel/tire balance/runout issue. The motors are held to a very high standard when it comes to balancing and tolerances. The hubs are also pretty high tolerance. The half shafts and rotors are not held to very tight tolerances, and the wheels/tires have extremely loose tolerances (hence wheel weights).
You can balance a tire to get rid of almost all vibration, but if there is a lateral balance issue, it can present itself like this. It's easily fixed with a dynamic balancer and wheel weights.
If the wheel is out of round >1/8" it should be discarded/replaced because it cannot be fixed with weights. 1/8" is a rule of thumb though. On a car that is meant for this kind of performance, I would think that number would be lower. I can't imagine how an 1/8" out of round would feel/handle at 150+mph.

Good luck!
Can’t swap front to rear, staggered sizing.

Not likely, but have we ruled out lane departure warning shaking the wheel?

Disappointed to hear this is still an issue with Plaid. Both my P85D and XP100D have had acceleration shudder/half shaft repairs to fix vibration issues. Is it a recurring condition or design flaw across all S/X? Model X seems particularly affected.

Disappointed to hear this is still an issue with Plaid. Both my P85D and XP100D have had acceleration shudder/half shaft repairs to fix vibration issues. Is it a recurring condition or design flaw across all S/X? Model X seems particularly affected.
No this isnt the shutter half shaft issue. I had that on my 2016. This just feels like the motors are a bit out of sync at this MPH range. Like the front is pulling harder than the back. They definitely fixed that hard acceleration shutter when turning at low suspension. No vibration when powering through the MPH range. Its only while maintaining this speed.