Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning a trip from Seattle to Port Townsend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tesla is at less than 1K miles so far - so a relatively green to EV distance driving. I have a S85, and was thinking of taking my S85 out to Port Townsend for a day-trip this coming Sunday.

I used google maps to plot a circular route - From Bellevue, drive through Tacoma Narrows (route WA-16) and return back to Bellevue via the Bainbridge island ferry - the distance comes out to be 189 miles. Normal charging (@ 80% charge level) gives me a range of 236 miles. Before taking the trip, I will be doing a max-charge to increase the driving range.

That math/sanity test tells me that this is a very doable day-trip without having to charge anywhere during the day.

Question is - has anybody done this before? Is there anything I should watch out for? Are there any tips that you can share?

Thanks,
Sunil

Plugshare shows 5 charging locations in Port Townsend. So if you get nervous you can always charge there.
Plugshare also shows 5 charging locations in Bremerton.

I've made the Bellevue -> Bremerton (charge) -> Bellevue trip (no ferries) about half a dozen times comfortably. But, then, I've charged in Bremerton. I guess my point is that there's enough chargers nearby that if you get nervous you have options.

With an 85kWh car, I typically tell people not to PLAN trips of more than 177 miles without a charging stop, because you need a good reserve to cover all sorts of worst-case stuff like snow, mountains, speeding, etc - and all of the range drama is at the bottom of the battery. This trip is just far enough I'd generally want to have a charging spot in mind just in case. But it looks far from worst-case: weather should be 73 degrees and no rain, which is just about perfect. There's not much elevation. Speed limits are pretty low. There's not really much that can get you other than driving really fast or terrible headwinds. Chances are you will get home with lots of buffer; but to make sure you're comfortable on your first long trip, pick out a campground or charging station you could use just in case; and at least at the start keep to the speed limit.

You could also take the ferry out there, and do the South part of the loop on your way back. That way if you find your range disappearing faster than expected, you could cut the trip short and take the ferry back, too.

Have fun! You will be fine.

Last edited:
And, I TOOK the trip! It was easy & a joy. And nothing unplanned happened. Bellevue - Port Townsend - Bellevue, no worries. There was a time where I thought I may end up driving back & then it would have required a stop in Gig Harbor for recharge.

And, I TOOK the trip! It was easy & a joy. And nothing unplanned happened. Bellevue - Port Townsend - Bellevue, no worries. There was a time where I thought I may end up driving back & then it would have required a stop in Gig Harbor for recharge.
Great! If you drove at the posted speed limits, you probably noted that actual miles were very close to rated miles.

We were also at Port Townsend on Sunday, and did not need our fall back charge at Gig Harbor.

Nice town, but crowded and a disappointment for lunch. Ended up with a very late and enjoyable lunch at Anthony's in Gig Harbor.