Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning my route home from pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to fly down to Paramus, NJ to pick up my MYP on Tuesday. Just to see what the Tesla website recommended for stop(‘s), I entered my address in and it says to stop in Paramus and charge for 5 min…

Can anyone explain this to me? Does it assume the battery is at 80% from start and needs a little more to get to the next super charger?

IMG_4324.jpeg

You can better plan your trip route, literally better, if you use A Better Route Planner (ABRP). You can enter the make, model of EV. You can set your preferred departure state of charge (SOC), charging stop arrival SOC, destination arrival SOC. You can also set you preferred highway speed, maximum speed and take into account traffic in metro areas, temperature, precipitation and wind in addition to the elevation changes along your route.

ABRP is available on the web and as an app for your phone.

Be sure you have a valid credit card or debit card linked to your Tesla account so you can immediately begin using the Supercharger network.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
When you get the car, put your home address in the map, it will direct you to the Supercharger you'll need based on you charge.
It really is just that easy!
There are superchargers everywhere in that area. I would also recommend a few things. 1 is to D/L plugshare and filter for just tesla fast charging. That way you can take a look at what has been published and what people are saying about those chargers along your route. I would charge at superchargers that have the amenities that you choose not what the car chooses. You can now use waypoints in the nav to route you along the way.
2, I still enjoy using EV trip planner. I think it's easier to delete or add chargers and use the tabs to see how time of travel changes.

Congratulation on your purchase. You will have an awesome road trip. Take pictures and share.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Cata
Thanks all for the tips!

I have a card on file for the supercharging. That was one of the first things I made sure to do.

I have not played much with other charger mapping sites/apps. I will try those out today.

I’ll also text the 510 number to ask them if they will have the car charged to 100% when I pick up!

I can’t wait for Tuesday 😄

I’ll also text the 510 number to ask them if they will have the car charged to 100% when I pick up!

I can’t wait for Tuesday 😄

Tuesday will be fun, for sure.

I seriously doubt the car will be at 100%. It really doesn't need to be. I think mine was at about 55% when I picked it up. It wasn't a problem.

To be honest, I've never charged to 100%. Just never really needed to.

On road trips, I pick out a Supercharger to head to and aim to arrive at it with 20% left over. I put just enough energy to do that.

Reactions: Cata
I am scheduled to fly down to Paramus, NJ to pick up my MYP on Tuesday. Just to see what the Tesla website recommended for stop(‘s), I entered my address in and it says to stop in Paramus and charge for 5 min…

Can anyone explain this to me? Does it assume the battery is at 80% from start and needs a little more to get to the next super charger?

View attachment 950070
I did Paramus to Norway in early May. Battery was only at 73%.

I stopped in Rocky Hill, CT, Charlton(EB), MA, and Kennebunk (NB) on my way home.

Reactions: Cata
I specifically would NOT ask them to charge to 100%. I would want to do at least one supercharger session near the service center before I got out of range to drive it back, just in case there was some kind of issue with the car. Issues are not prevalent, but not zero either.

Reactions: jpfive and Cata
I specifically would NOT ask them to charge to 100%. I would want to do at least one supercharger session near the service center before I got out of range to drive it back, just in case there was some kind of issue with the car. Issues are not prevalent, but not zero either.
They won’t anyway. I texted them and they said they “We charge based off of Tesla recommendation, between 70% and 90%.”
But I see what you’re saying and I agree that’s probably a better idea.