Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic Dipping MS Rims that I just bought.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So these were recently purchased off the forums, they came with TPMS, tires, wheels and center cap.
IMG_9063.JPG

I cleaned them, put the dip release around the tire, and pre-dip washed the rims for best results.

Here is 1 coat in.
External 1 coat.JPG

I did the inside as well but will not be posting pictures, I used it to learn the process and it really does add to the effect to have the inside dipped too.

Here is 3 coats in:
External 3 coats.JPG

I then applied pearl coating:
External Pearl 1 Coat.JPG

In the shade it is hard to tell you applied the pearl coat, so I finished with 4 coats of Pearl. Here it is in the sun:

reducedFinalIn the Sun.jpg

And last, laying flat in the sun:
External Flat in the Sun Final.JPG

Thanks for looking. I have to wait ~ 8 hours for the post dip to help harden it, and then I will be taking it to have them mounted.

Drive safe,
Richard

I noticed you didn't protect the lug nut holes from overspray. Did you remove this before mounting? I would worry that having plastidip between the wheel and lug nut might cause issues. A trick I learned was to put quarters in the holes to keep overspray away. Just pop them out before things dry.

Reactions: RichardD
I noticed you didn't protect the lug nut holes from overspray. Did you remove this before mounting? I would worry that having plastidip between the wheel and lug nut might cause issues. A trick I learned was to put quarters in the holes to keep overspray away. Just pop them out before things dry.
No I had no issues, I plasti dipped them off the car, as these were spares, and then protected the plastidip using the post dip spray. They mounted them and I saw no issues with the dip pealing or breaking. The quarter trick sounds nice. I did plasti dip, front and back of the rims though, that may have helped. I hope to get about 1 year out of this, and will know if it was worth it. All in for about $100 in materials and 4 hours in labor, although most of that was watching it dry.. ha ha..

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Looking good

Only issue I've had with Plastidip wheels over time was keeping them clean. The surface is just too abrasive and tends to attract dirt and brake dust
I made sure my last few coats were wet, this helped and, I bought the post dip spray, that helped alot with the texture, and i bought the brake dust spray too. Lets see how it goes. I am very curious as I did it myself I noticed a few spots I could have done better, but I think we are our harshest critics.

About 4 months in they look great, brake dust rinses right off, although I wash the car weekly so nothing really builds up. I have a rub mark that I need to spray, but you cannot tell unless you are detailing the car. For the money and how easy this was, I still recommend it. I may get my original 5 spokes and powder coat them to compare the overall quality.