Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastidip Gemini vs plastidip Gemini covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hyperdipping will give a smoother finish than Plastidipping.

@mackgriggs used 3M vinyl to black out the silver Gemini rims:

Definitely looks interesting....I haven't seen white rims in person in my area yet to make an opinion on them or not. How did you paint them? Masking and spraypaint?

I finally went ahead and put Vinyl on the outside edge of my rims to get rid of the silver ring. Here is what it looked like before ->

View attachment 563156
And after:

View attachment 563157

Was actually easy to do. Took about...an hour. You don't have to be precise with it at all...you only see the outside edge of it. Well....maybe if you have your aero covers off frequently you will want to spend more time on it but I didn't.

I bought rvinyl black 3m 2080 vinyl, 1'x5', $16 on amazon. I cut 5' by 1/2" strips. If you stretch the strips just slightly as you put them on, 5' will cover the whole outside edge. Easy to put on...took more time to clean the wheel and cut the strip than putting them on. I used a heat gun...but....I don't think it did anything special vs just using my fingers to press the vinyl on.

View attachment 563159
View attachment 563158

Now to see how long the vinyl and plastidip last! A nice thing about the vinyl...is that if I ever get curb rash, I can just recover it with vinyl. The $16 of vinyl would be enough to do strips for 24 wheels.