Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

please help: Front door latch just failed have to drive 400 miles in AM with latch warning beeping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Harvey Danger when you say they work better, what do you mean? I don't have anything to compare to. They were working, then they weren't 😆
Well, at a minimum it was throwing errors and the car was making beeping sounds. That's definitely bad. Right door wouldn't close properly - might have to re-open, re-close to get it to latch. It also wouldn't open properly. First the ice-breaker would start to extend just to push it away from the frame a bit, very bad. Also, once free, it certainly wouldn't swing out by itself a meaningful amount. (What do I you call this? Auto-present? I forget) And both sides made 'weak' electrical motor sounds when you activated the opening mechanism. Something was struggling. Since the replacement they are functionally perfect, plus as soon as you activate the door from inside or outside you get a brief, crisp sound from the various servo motors involved. Much more confidence-inspiring.

@Harvey Danger when you say they work better, what do you mean? I don't have anything to compare to. They were working, then they weren't 😆
Here in 2022 after a Google Search - just looking at these posts makes me a bit sad. We are talking door open/close - which is something that should work even if the car battery is dead ... is it really true? We are going to pay 1100 USD for this fix - and if we don't agree - we cannot use autopilot or even lock the doors ... not OK

Well, at a minimum it was throwing errors and the car was making beeping sounds. That's definitely bad. Right door wouldn't close properly - might have to re-open, re-close to get it to latch. It also wouldn't open properly. First the ice-breaker would start to extend just to push it away from the frame a bit, very bad. Also, once free, it certainly wouldn't swing out by itself a meaningful amount. (What do I you call this? Auto-present? I forget) And both sides made 'weak' electrical motor sounds when you activated the opening mechanism. Something was struggling. Since the replacement they are functionally perfect, plus as soon as you activate the door from inside or outside you get a brief, crisp sound from the various servo motors involved. Much more confidence-inspiring.

Same error story here - only Passenger side ... first - it thought it must be a sensor or software error. How can this stuff break so easily?

Really bad- this is a 200.000 USD car (at least in Denmark) - and I will have to pay 1100 USD to get the mechanisms replaced.

In fact - in 3 months - I had more repairs than ever on my old Renault Grand Scenic model 2014 ...

Just jumped back in my 2017 Model X at the supermarket and the door won't close. Seems like a latch mechanism failure. Had to drive 3km home holding my door and stopping it from swinging open! I love this car but I'm really disheartened at the amount of little issues like this. Last week it was loose sway bar links rattling under the car.
Does anyone know if this is still a recall item?
Thanks
I feel your pain. In 3 months - in 2021 and 2022 - first the navigation system of TMX 2016 failed - and required service. SD card replaced. Next, the cooleant system had a leak ... then a steering arm broke - and now - the right passenger door. Maybe I just had a bad year - but I never owned a car that gave me such grief.

On the positive side - when it works - it is a very nice car to drive ;-)

Reactions: Psionic001