TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

please help: Front door latch just failed have to drive 400 miles in AM with latch warning beeping!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Pjjava34, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

#1 Pjjava34, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    We are on vacation in Charleston, SC and driving back to Atlanta in the AM. Just got back from dinner and passenger front door failed to open from outside.
    Tried rebooting touchscreen, didn't work. Powered off vehicles, didn't work, called tesla 24 hour line and they said could not help. They said I'd have to drive to closest sevice center in Atlanta to have it looked at.
    That is about 400 miles and 6 hours of driving with the latch warning and loud beeping with the entire family on board.
    Any help to get this thing to work or latch would be soooo greatly appreciated.
    Vin 49xx
    May 5th build completion date. May 18th delivery.

• Informative x 1
  2. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. DMH-DMH

DMH-DMH Member

Man, I'm sorry. I just picked mine up this past Saturday and had it towed back to the SC 180 miles on Tuesday because I could not get the drivers door to latch closed. Mine was undriveable so they had to come get it. I don't have any advice, but I feel your pain. I hope each of our problems are resolved quickly and never to return again.

• Informative x 2
  4. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

I'm still in the car right now scouring these forums and trying everything out. Nothing is working yet.
    I guess I should be happy that's it's drivable.
    What's funny is nothing warranted it. No excessive use, no warning signs, just randomly put me SOL.

• Informative x 1
  5. DMH-DMH

DMH-DMH Member

Me too. I just arrived at work and couldn't shut the door. I did 5 surgeries that day with my car door open in the parking lot. Crazy

• Informative x 1
  6. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

Yikes. Sorry to hear that!
    Will post back here if I hear from anyone and can manually fix this thing.

7. halg

halg Member

You said it's not opening, can you try to close it from outside? So the latch can hook up? Just thinking out loud

8. luca

luca Banned

wow

Seems every model X's front door latch will be broken with a several weeks after picking up

• Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

Yeah the latch hooks, but it doesn't suck the door in. It cannot open from the outside.

• Informative x 1
  10. ModelXBoy

ModelXBoy No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!

Hi, don't panic, this problem existed in X1000 VIN, so you are not alone. This problem is most likely due to the latch that needs to be replaced. This shocks me because I thought the latch issues were already fixed. The solution is taking your X to SC and have the latch replaced and recalibrate, you should be fine from there. Intermittent problem with the door might occur but most likely not going to completely break after the latch replacement, you just have to open and close the door again and all should be well.

BTW, there is a reason why I put door captain of TMC! lol.

Hopefully you will get your door fix and put the door issue to the past permanently!

• Informative x 2
  11. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

While it certainly is happening, it is not every X. I've had mine for 4 months now and never had a problem with doors (front or FW doors).

• Informative x 3
  12. electricity

electricity Member

Me too dissapointed this issue wasnt solved allready. WTF.

• Like x 1
  13. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

#13 Pjjava34, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    The door has now gone completely limp. No motorized action at all in it. A very strong push from the inside is required to cause it to come open and additional strength is required to keep it inching open manually.
    It does not latch so my 400 mile drive will tomorrow not only have unlatch beeping sounds for 6 straight hours, it will also have outside noise streaming in. Will see what SC says when they call me in the AM.

Add this to things you didn't know about your Model X. It will not allow auto pilot or Adaptive cruise control with the door unlached message active!

• Informative x 1
  14. luca

luca Banned

Just wondering how many model X's front door break more than once?

• Informative x 1
  15. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

My car was one of the first off the production line. I got the car 5 miles when I had this same problem, the front door latch wouldn't engage. The service center came and got the car and provided me with a loaner Model S P85. They said there was a know problem with the latching mechanism. They replaced the latches on both sides. It took around a week as they had to get the parts from Freemont. That was back in January. That was not the only problem which prevented me from getting the car the 60 miles to my house. It took another 10 weeks at the service center to resolve the issues. Last week I took it in for another 16 items. I am not sure when I will see my car again. At least I have a loaner.

• Informative x 1
  16. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

Wow...unbelievable. I though for sure the latch issue was resolved with such a late built date such as mine.

• Informative x 1
  17. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Open the door manually, then reach with your finger or a pen and try to reset the latch inside , pull it outwards. Then do the door recalibration steps. Should at the very least lock up tight and maybe stop the gong.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. passcore

passcore Member

Geez! I hope the SC can get you a temp workaround prior to your 400mile drive! I am beginning to wonder whether I should switch my order to a Model S..:( ..

• Like x 1
  19. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

Tried it with no luck.

20. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Sorry to hear that. Did you do a reset prior to recalibrating? Will the door open via the touchscreen?