Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help. Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called my insurance agent of over 30 years. I say I want to add Tesla model Y to my policy. They call me back and say they can’t give a quote until they get more information. Is it 2 door or 4 door? What this the cost? how many cylinders does it have? I answer none. It is electric. She says the program won’t let here get any further in the quote until she puts in the number of cylinders. I tell her I can’t give her the number of cylinders. She says she will have to call back after she figures it out.
You can’t make this stuff up!!!!

So can somebody tell me how many cylinders MY has?

I called my insurance agent of over 30 years. I say I want to add Tesla model Y to my policy. They call me back and say they can’t give a quote until they get more information. Is it 2 door or 4 door? What this the cost? how many cylinders does it have? I answer none. It is electric. She says the program won’t let here get any further in the quote until she puts in the number of cylinders. I tell her I can’t give her the number of cylinders. She says she will have to call back after she figures it out.

Just give her the VIN, that should give them all the info they need.

The problem is that the Model Y is too new and they don’t have symbols for it yet. Call back and make sure they know it is a new model and similar to a Model 3. They might need a few days to figure it out.

Reactions: ra88it
I just added my Y to my Costco insurance. They said the VIN wasn't valid, but they looked it up on another system and manually put in the info. It was actually cheaper than the Model 3, which makes no sense.

If you're not getting your insurance through Costco, you are paying too much. I've had to make two claims through them and both times were relatively problem-free.

I just added my Y to my Costco insurance. They said the VIN wasn't valid, but they looked it up on another system and manually put in the info. It was actually cheaper than the Model 3, which makes no sense.

If you're not getting your insurance through Costco, you are paying too much. I've had to make two claims through them and both times were relatively problem-free.
Is Costco using Ameriprise? I'm also in Campbell how much are they charging (approximate)?

It is electric. There are no pistons and hence no cylinders.

Give her a few days and it in the meantime, look for alternative quotes for all your cars. If they don't know anything about the car, how are they going to quote your right?

It is electric. There are no pistons and hence no cylinders.

I'd say his question was both rhetorical and sarcastic...

Give her a few days and it in the meantime, look for alternative quotes for all your cars. If they don't know anything about the car, how are they going to quote your right?

Agreed. Some insurance companies do struggle with this though. They often have to use certain submission apps or forms from their underwriters that are not kept well up to date. On a lot of new vehicles, especially when it comes to electrics or exotics, they have to go the old fashioned route and talk to their parent company or underwriters and get back with a quote after doing so. But definitely shop it around... There are so many Teslas on the road now that if they're having trouble quoting the "new" model that first rolled off the line 4 months ago, then they're definitely not on top of their game.

Is Costco using Ameriprise? I'm also in Campbell how much are they charging (approximate)?
It used to be Ameriprise, but they changed the name. Everything else seems the same.

I've got three cars and three drivers, one of who is under 25. I don't think what I pay would give you much to go on. I just know it's way less than everywhere else I looked. Give them a call, they've got nothing else to do because there's so few accidents any more.

Understand, the only way they can do this is that you have to be a "good driver". One hiccup and you're out. Maybe two, if they like you.

Of course, I was sarcastic.

I'd say his question was both rhetorical and sarcastic...

Agreed. Some insurance companies do struggle with this though. They often have to use certain submission apps or forms from their underwriters that are not kept well up to date. On a lot of new vehicles, especially when it comes to electrics or exotics, they have to go the old fashioned route and talk to their parent company or underwriters and get back with a quote after doing so. But definitely shop it around... There are so many Teslas on the road now that if they're having trouble quoting the "new" model that first rolled off the line 4 months ago, then they're definitely not on top of their game.

Just got my MY insurance through GEICO...$467 per six month period. I was shocked! $500k limits; $500 comp/collision
It couldnt get done online and my request went through a human and he came back with above. I jumped on it!
Tesla Insurance quoted me almost $150/month for way less coverage.

Same I just got a super cheap rate with Geico (I have a teen driver on my policy as well)...just waiting on my Y to be able to switch.

My Y is $61 per month with USAA, only a few dollars more than the 2007 vehicle I traded in.

Last year when I talked with USAA about the model 3 they hadn't a clue, same questions, how many cylinders (zero), etc. Even then her quote was pretty close to what it would be today.

Your Agent has no clue or is extremely limited by their company. I am a broker and this is NEVER an issue with any of my 12 companies that I represent.