Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help me identify the ticking fan noise in this video I took.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't seem that loud in the video because of how close I am. It's coming from the front and only occurs when the AC is running or the car is charging. This is NOT the usual humming that occurs during charging. Have had my X for 1.5 years and noise started yesterday.

Thanks for any input!

After some quick trial and error I figured out it's definitely the battery cooling fan that's making the noise as it comes and goes while the AC vent fans are running on high continuously. Oddly, as soon as I turn off the AC/Climate the sound immediately stops. I assume the battery cooling "fans" are not accessible and there isn't a way for debris to enter the fan?

After some quick trial and error I figured out it's definitely the battery cooling fan that's making the noise as it comes and goes while the AC vent fans are running on high continuously. Oddly, as soon as I turn off the AC/Climate the sound immediately stops. I assume the battery cooling "fans" are not accessible and there isn't a way for debris to enter the fan?

Sounds like trip to the SC and it may be a quick fix and look for them. Especially if something is stuck in there.

I'm having the same problem. The noise disappears as soon as I turn the AC off. It also seemed to be correlated with stop and go driving (parking lot, traffic jam, etc.).

A trip to the SC was wasted because they didn't hear the noise and didn't find anything. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

It doesn't seem that loud in the video because of how close I am. It's coming from the front and only occurs when the AC is running or the car is charging. This is NOT the usual humming that occurs during charging. Have had my X for 1.5 years and noise started yesterday.

Thanks for any input!

Same issue... Dec. 2016 car, noise just started, A/C only

Just an update, my AC went out today and no longer works. My local Tesla service centers phone number is disconnected so haven't been able to talk to anyone.

I'll update you all when I know more