TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Please help me identify the ticking fan noise in this video I took.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Dj B, May 26, 2018.

1. Dj B

Dj B Member

It doesn't seem that loud in the video because of how close I am. It's coming from the front and only occurs when the AC is running or the car is charging. This is NOT the usual humming that occurs during charging. Have had my X for 1.5 years and noise started yesterday.

Thanks for any input!

2. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

A leaf or a stick stuck in a fan maybe? If you can’t find anything, try running through the car wash once. If still there, make a SC appt for “strange noise”

3. Dj B

Dj B Member

Do you know where the fans are located in the front? Are they accessible to reach and grab any debris out of or are then encased?

Thanks

4. Dj B

Dj B Member

After some quick trial and error I figured out it's definitely the battery cooling fan that's making the noise as it comes and goes while the AC vent fans are running on high continuously. Oddly, as soon as I turn off the AC/Climate the sound immediately stops. I assume the battery cooling "fans" are not accessible and there isn't a way for debris to enter the fan?

5. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

Sounds like trip to the SC and it may be a quick fix and look for them. Especially if something is stuck in there.

6. Travler

Travler Member

I'm having the same problem. The noise disappears as soon as I turn the AC off. It also seemed to be correlated with stop and go driving (parking lot, traffic jam, etc.).

A trip to the SC was wasted because they didn't hear the noise and didn't find anything. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

7. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

Same issue... Dec. 2016 car, noise just started, A/C only

8. Dj B

Dj B Member

Just an update, my AC went out today and no longer works. My local Tesla service centers phone number is disconnected so haven't been able to talk to anyone.

I'll update you all when I know more

9. Travler

Travler Member

The guys at the local SC suggest that we log the days & times when we hear the noise (mine is very intermittent) to enable them to download the car's logs to help debug the problem.