Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug-in car Grant now £3000 (was £3500) for cars under £50k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, not so good. Right enough when you click buy now the price does update to £59490. Very annoying if your order was well before the budget, was it early March or near the 11th? Hope I do not have the same problem with my order but it was early Feb so fingers crossed it's OK but it's still a nagging worry until its finalised.
I think for February you should be ok. I did get a rather surprising quick delivery so it’s luck and bad luck combined! I’ve got my Model S so at least I’m lucky enough to not be without a car when making my decision.

Yes it is worrying times ordering a car this price just now, especially as I didn't trade in my current car. Plan was to make sure I was happy with the Tesla then private sale my BMW, if it come to worst try to get best price from a dealer or WBAC. It's very clean without a mark on it so hopefully it sells easily but current climate of uncertainty will not help.

I’ll send him an email with a link to that specific car just to see what they say. However, I don’t fancy paying more for a colour I don’t want and travelling all the way to Dartford. As I said the whole thing leaves a bit of a bitter taste so while I am on the fence my gut instinct is to keep my model s. Perhaps buying expensive cars under the current circumstances isn’t such a clever idea anyway.

If you have already made payment etc and received your final invoice then surely the contract has been made and they must honour it. What do the terms and conditions say in the actual order itself? while I agree about the grant being subject to availability the fact is the grand was available at your time of order and it sounds like you have already formed the contract by paying them.

If you have already made payment etc and received your final invoice then surely the contract has been made and they must honour it. What do the terms and conditions say in the actual order itself? while I agree about the grant being subject to availability the fact is the grand was available at your time of order and it sounds like you have already formed the contract by paying them.
All I’ve paid so far is the £100 deposit. I suspect the wording in the deposit is such that it means it’s just a reservation fee and as the contract does clearly say the grant is “subject to availability” so there’s not much point arguing this with Tesla as they do seem to be within their rights. However, as I said, it does leave a bitter taste as I acted in good faith and when the shoe was on the other foot (so to speak) regarding the white metallic paint last time Tesla refused to change the order. Unfortunately with a product in high demand, the pound dropping like a stone Tesla has the power to be like this.

I don’t think it’s fair to call it an f-up as they are clear in their terms the grant is “subject to availability” so technically it’s down to luck if the car wasn’t paid or delivered before this last minute change by the government. Really the government is to blame with the way they implemented the rules with no notice. Interestingly a friend in France had a similar situation earlier this year as they also withdrew the grant for cars over €60,000 and it was the same story. With Edinburgh being particularly busy with deliveries relative to the size I suspect they just cannot handle the volume. He did say they would “probably” be able to match me with a Long Range for delivery around the same time as they have a lot of cancellations due to the virus situation etc. so I’m on the fence. Might just hang onto my Model S and try to find an extended warranty as it’s 4 years old this summer.
OK maybe too strong but knowing the budget was coming up and Grant Shapps had been dropping hints about the grant going away for a while it would have made good business sense and good customer service to get it applied for for all their orders as quickly as possible.

I have been one of the unfortunate ones, it seems. I ordered before the budget announcement (NHS SS) and received my order confirmation, however, when I phoned VWFS post-budget announcement to make sure the order had been placed with Tesla, the woman I spoke to said that they'd held back on placing orders on the portal because they were waiting to see what would happen with the budget.

Fleet Management said they would contact them and argue that they should honour the original quote as it was placed before the announcement, but no dice. I'd originally ordered a Black/Black M3P, but revised that to what I thought was White/White (I found one in the existing inventory) to absorb some of that £3500 (-£1k for the black paint), only for them to come back and say "can we confirm that you want the Premium Interior (white/black interior), as it has a cost implication. They requoted me, and I just thought "f-it", I had my heart set on the M3P, so I now have to wait. Order confirmation for the new configuration was received yesterday, so I imagine I've a little bit of a wait, though the exact spec I want is in the current existing inventory!