Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug-in car Grant now £3000 (was £3500) for cars under £50k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR is now £49,990 and this in showing on the FAQ's;

"Plug-In Grant
The plug-in grant is a purchase subsidy of up to £3,000 which is deducted from the purchase price of eligible new Tesla vehicles. Vehicles with a list price under £50,000 before application of optional extras, delivery and registration charges are eligible."

So extras don't seem to count
Performance is £55k now!

• Informative
Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Yes, £55.5k.

tesla.PNG

£8,510 jump to the P now, wow.

Looks a lot worse because £3,000 of that is obviously the grant that you can no longer get.

Guess Tesla was happy to eat the £510 per car (£500 loss in grant amount, £10 to get it under the threshold) on the LR, which makes sense as it was close anyway.

I’m going to make sure I pay my P final invoice today in full lol.

So, will the PIG still apply if you go for a LR but pick a different colour and the 19” sport wheels?
apparently so PICG use a totally different formula for price than HMRC and DVLA and options and delivery fee are not included. however I am worried they will change it. the PICG definition of price was never there for imposing a hard threshold since there never was one before. It was there for other reasons like ensuring the grant could not be effectively trousered the way the olev grant is but not they are using it for that purpose it is open to abuse. Nothing technically to stop tesla selling the P for £49500 with a £5000 delivery fee. or supplying with steel wheels and making the alloys an option. HMRC/DVLA will not let you get away with that kind of nonsense for BIK and luxury tax but PICG does. That could change but for now you are good.

Reactions: JS77
The definition of an "optional extra" is a bit interesting - I've read Tesla called the 90 upgrade from the 85 a range extension or something like that when it first came out, and it was an option. If things like colour and interior trim are options due to the way they are presented on the invoice then the performance model could be an LR with a "Performance Upgrade" option - probably stretching a point but it kind of highlights how far is reasonable.

HMRC/DVLA will not let you get away with that kind of nonsense for BIK and luxury tax but PICG does. That could change but for now you are good.

What are you talking about Tesla are a large corporation and could possibly game the system, of course HMRC will let them get away with it. Remember it's the little guys that HMRC like to turn over.

I've read Tesla called the 90 upgrade from the 85 a range extension or something like that when it first came out, and it was an option

The invoice for my 90 said exactly that. I never actually considered it an option, especially as the 85 was what I ordered and was discontinued during my "wait" so I had to stump up for the 90 instead (but I also had the "option" :) of 75 with refund instead). Actually I'm glad I did, having initially decided that 85-90 sticker-price was too much for a few miles of range, with ownership I discovered how often that, Range being King, extra range avoided a stop / allowed me to complete journey without one / saved my bacon in foul weather ...

But ... I have no idea why it was described an Option, but it could pave the way for such things ... On the "MS P",back then, "Insane" and subsequently "Ludicrous" were just flash-a-credit-card upgrades (and £10s of £,000 ...)

I don't remember that it got around any loopholes at that time, least not in UK, but ... "M3P Sticker Price of 2p with nothing on it, and then a list of Porsche-style-options as long as your arm" coming soon perhaps?

Reactions: Harv3y
just curious : Does aftermarket add of 0-60 upgrade for M3LR get added to BIK?
BIK is based on list price at time of purchase so No.
Though the system was never set up for things that could be changed via software update so for instance the rear seat heaters on the SR+ that are physically installed in the factory but not included in the price paid then unlocked after delivery for an additional payment is something that sooner or later could become an issue if HMRC start to take an interest, and the power boost and FSD.
You could argue that since the FSD and seat heater hardware is physically installed that it should be reflected in the P11D value otherwise where will it end? You could sell cars that basically do nothing at point of purchase and everything is an option that can be unlocked, seat heaters, auto headlights, range, audio features, autopilot, performance, front motor, etc etc. all these things could be gimped on delivery and unlocked AFTER purchase making the official list price and there for P11d value really low.

Sorry if this has already been posted as I have not read the whole thread.

Are orders placed before the budget confirmed that they will still receive the PIG discount? I ordered on 6th February, delivery late March was the last update I received from Tesla. The car was already at the top end of my budget, not sure I can justify another £3500 on it.

Are orders placed before the budget confirmed that they will still receive the PIG discount? I ordered on 6th February, delivery late March was the last update I received from Tesla. The car was already at the top end of my budget, not sure I can justify another £3500 on it.

If you ordered 6th February you should be okay.

Reactions: seadog

How did you order? Direct?

You ordered before me and I got the £3,500 PICG on my final invoice.

Did you complete all your documents fairly quickly? Does your Manage page say "We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment." ? If so, you'll be fine, they would've registered your car on the Govt portal shortly after you did this.