Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police recording on Tesla cams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else ever suggested to Tesla updates to add a “police” or “traffic stop” mode? This could be a selection on the screen if one is ever blue lighted that the car would record the speed of the vehicle for the few minutes and save video from all cameras going back 2-3 minutes and continuing to record until the mode is turned off. If there is a way to also record the audio from inside the car so as to document the interaction with law enforcement, that would be a plus. This would level the playing field between citizens and law enforcement.

Has anyone else ever suggested to Tesla updates to add a “police” or “traffic stop” mode?

That could be a short lived feature due to technology advancements.

Police interaction with vehicle drivers will be a thing of the past someday; maybe sooner than we think. Everything will be done through cameras, radar, computers. You'll get the bill in the mail. Eventually, there will be almost no violations committed when self driving becomes common. Municipalities will not be happy at the loss of a revenue stream and will have to find another way into our wallets.

That could be a short lived feature due to technology advancements.

Police interaction with vehicle drivers will be a thing of the past someday; maybe sooner than we think. Everything will be done through cameras, radar, computers. You'll get the bill in the mail. Eventually, there will be almost no violations committed when self driving becomes common. Municipalities will not be happy at the loss of a revenue stream and will have to find another way into our wallets.

au contraire. local governments are already getting their cut from cam tickets in cities and at very very little expense to themselves. They’ll reap MORE money, not less by using all-seeing, all-catching tech that costs v. little compared to policing.
Thankfully the broader type of surveillance/ticketing you refer to is still at least a few years away.
Reminds me, I still owe for a automatically generated speeding ticket in France. The highways there are larded with speed cams.

Yes, there is a thread here somewhere on a very similar topic, and if I remember properly it devolved into discussion about police and traffic stops, who gets stopped, etc.

If even a hint of that starts in this thread, I will ask a mod for this subforum to delete this thread.
"If even a hint of that starts"....are we taking this moderator title a little too serious?

Interesting idea.

Is the speed somehow captured in the current driving data? I imagine that would be pretty simple to implement. Not that it would help me..
I wondered that too. When we recorded our near-miss with a deer the video wasn't as dramatic as it felt because the de-acceleration wasn't visible. Had there been a tracking of the speed, it would have been more apparent.