Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: After v11, Will You Download a New Update Again Without Reading Reviews First?

After the v11 drama, will you download a new update again without reading a lot of reviews first?

• I used to download new updates ASAP, but from now on I'll let other people try it first.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I've always waited read reviews before updating my car's software, so nothing will change for me.

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • I don't like v11, but it's not enough to make me delay future updates.

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • I like v11, and I won't change my behavior because so many people can't deal with it.

Votes: 45 39.8%
  • Something else (explain in comments).

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot of complaint threads about v11, but there's probably a bias in those threads because most people (including me) drawn to them aren't fans of the new UI. That makes it hard to gauge what ratio of Tesla owners actually like vs dislike the new software, and I thought it would interesting to see how v11 has affected owners' propensity to download future software updates without waiting to see reviews first.

I would like to keep this from becoming another complaint thread about features of v10 vs v11. Instead, let's just focus on download habits and how those may have been changed by our experiences with the 2021 holiday update.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I ALWAYS wait two or three versions after a major release.

I've grown tired of complaining to Tesla about their UI/UX team, and how they do nearly zero real-world testing, and get so much wrong every single time.

v11 is just 'par for the course' if you look back at all other major "updates" which continue to make the car worse. And again, the UI/UX developers do not understand that this is an interface that GOES INTO A CAR, not a mobile phone or tablet. They still don't get that, and I doubt they ever will.

I ALWAYS wait two or three versions after a major release.

I've grown tired of complaining to Tesla about their UI/UX team, and how they do nearly zero real-world testing, and get so much wrong every single time.

v11 is just 'par for the course' if you look back at all other major "updates" which continue to make the car worse. And again, the UI/UX developers do not understand that this is an interface that GOES INTO A CAR, not a mobile phone or tablet. They still don't get that, and I doubt they ever will.
I'm not sure I'll wait multiple updates, but I will at least wait to see what the prevailing opinion is before I pull the trigger.

v11 is fine. My biggest complaint is that it's not quite feature-complete on the refresh Model S, which is still missing the Energy app/information. The UI is not perfect, but it's probably better on the refresh MS/MX than on other Teslas, due to the larger + horizontal + multiple screens. I do have some quibbles, but overall this is a superior experience compared to any other car I've driven, including the v10 Model 3 I drove for the last 3 years. v11 gets my thumbs up. Will continue to take updates as soon as they're made available.

I waited anxiously the few 5-6 updates after I got the car. When I saw some weird regression bugs and especially after contacting SC about them, I started having doubts. Now, I think I am done with OTAs. Will wait at least a few months - not only to see what new bugs are there and if they are fixed but also to see the direction they are going with the updates.
Every person who runs IT for a large organization will understand the hesitation behind massive, quick updates. The same way the IT stack is complex, the car and our interactions with it are complex - small things could cause big annoyances. Also, I lost faith in Tesla QA/UT. I expected more from a $100k+ car. Love the car but since V11 I started looking more closely at the EV space. Tesla is still the best overall package but the field is super active. We’ll see.
So, no more updates for me. The only question is how to disable the nagging reminder that pops up every time I put the car in park.

I used to look forward to software improvements, then learned with the 2020 holiday update to check this forum before installing, then maybe wait for key fixes.

That update's small, gray text was an education on how some UIs must affect color blind people. A few days later, Elon promised a fix..........

Note: A service center might install an update during service. I get it. They need to test against the latest release.

Reactions: Baluchi
It's almost like they would be modifying the vehicle against your wishes.

Exactly! I do not want to test the legal system but there are precedents.

Like I said, you can try, but it probably won't work. Other people have gone down this road without success. If you ask them not to update the firmware, they can just tell you to pound sand and they won't do the requested repairs. But please, do "test the legal system". Lots of other people have launched this idle threat, and again, to absolutely no productive outcome.

Maybe if you go in for a tire rotation or brake pads they won't update the firmware, But if you need anything fixed that swaps out any electric or electronic component, they are required to do a firmware update to bring all the components up to the current firmware version.

I'd bet good money that Tesla reserves the right to update your car's software, and has ways to do it even without your consent. Just sayin'.

Yup. Tesla has twice updated the firmware in my car, while in my own garage, without my permission or approval.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
I'd bet good money that Tesla reserves the right to update your car's software, and has ways to do it even without your consent. Just sayin'.
Their license agreement is heavy on debugging and repurposing (as expected) but did no see anything around forcing updates. They may revoke the license if do not update but that will have the consequences of not being able to use the car and that will open a whole new set of issues. It is legally a murky territory but there are precedents.

Yup. Tesla has twice updated the firmware in my car, while in my own garage, without my permission or approval.
To be clear: I do not want to test the legal system - it is not worth it. I would rather sell the car if it comes to that. I don’t want to do that either, at least for now.

Did you tell them explicitly not to upgrade? The components swap is an interesting point.

I’m not a fan of v11 the way it currently is. And I don’t think it should have been released.

But I would update to the next release as soon as available to me. Right now it’s easy in that I’m hoping for some ui fixes & improvements. But even if that was not the case I would update. I want to be on the latest software and look forward to the latest features and progress.

Did you tell them explicitly not to upgrade?

The car was sitting in my garage. I had been declining the firmware update notices for a few months since the newer version 9 was a dumpster fire (just like every major update since then, too.) Then one morning I go out and the car had updated itself. This has happened twice now.

Details here: Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

• Informative
Reactions: Boza
I’d be interested in how many people hate V11 who are driving in FSD beta. I love the new UI and miss absolutely nothing from the old one.
Initially, I was interested in the FSD beta but after playing the safety game for a week I discovered that I became very unsafe driver and opted out. Calm, safe and serene now :)

I like v11, and I won't change my behavior because so many people can't deal with it.​

I can't deal with no heat in my car.

I thought no handy defrost button was not acceptable.

But no heat is a lot worse than no handy defrost button.

So whether or not I care about a UI change, I care a helluva lot more about drivability and the constant worry that today is the day I'll lose the Russian Roulette game I'm playing with my car's heat when I have to drive it in cold weather (i.e. 4 months of the year where I live) is too much.

So, no, I will not be doing updates.

That doesn't mean Elon won't be forcing me to update.

I have a lot more control over updates than most people because my car is parked 400' away from my apartment's wifi. If I get sent an update notification, I either go visit my son who lives an hour away (and that ain't happening now that no cabin heat is a real possibility) or go to the Tesla Service Centre (thankfully just 10 minutes from here) and download via their guest wifi. Despite that, twice now our car has updated over LTE and we've arrived at the car with the notification that software has been updated. We figure those are safety bugs being fixed and that's why we weren't given any choice, or warning. But it illustrates that I don't really have any real control over my vehicle at all.