Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Are u buying the Standard $35k or $37k Model 3?

Are u buying the Standard $35k or Standard Plus $37k Model 3?

• Yes. Already placed the order

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Yes. Definitely placing order within the next few weeks.

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Yes. Definitely buying it over other non-Tesla EV that are similarly priced

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Not sure. Still considering

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • No. Already own one or multiple Tesla

Votes: 100 62.1%
  • No. It is still too expensive for me.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • No. The range at 220 mile or 240 mile is too short

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • No. The features isn't what I want.

• No. I am waiting for the Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • No. I am buying EV from other brands.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • No. I don't have charging equipment at home or at work place.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I am sticking with gasoline car. EV sucks.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered an SR+ today. Black/black, no AP, standard wheels. $37K plus $1,200 dest.

We already own a LR RWD with EAP, so I figured if we go on a long trip or a trip with a lot of freeway driving we can just take the LR car. So this will be our second Tesla, replacing my trusty Lexus. I rarely drive more than 30-40 miles a day, almost always on surface streets, so I saw no reason to spend an extra $3K for AP. I’ve used it only infrequently on the LR so I don’t think I’ll miss it.

We have a wall connector in the garage so charging every night is a breeze. After tax credits and incentives this car will only cost me about $30K plus tax. It’s an amazing bargain for that price. I’m very excited.

The web site quoted me a two week lead time after it confirmed my order. It said they would deliver the car directly to my house. We’ll see.
Great choice to have one short range and one long range Model 3

I ordered an SR+ today. Black/black, no AP, standard wheels. $37K plus $1,200 dest.

We already own a LR RWD with EAP, so I figured if we go on a long trip or a trip with a lot of freeway driving we can just take the LR car. So this will be our second Tesla, replacing my trusty Lexus. I rarely drive more than 30-40 miles a day, almost always on surface streets, so I saw no reason to spend an extra $3K for AP. I’ve used it only infrequently on the LR so I don’t think I’ll miss it.

We have a wall connector in the garage so charging every night is a breeze. After tax credits and incentives this car will only cost me about $30K plus tax. It’s an amazing bargain for that price. I’m very excited.

The web site quoted me a two week lead time after it confirmed my order. It said they would deliver the car directly to my house. We’ll see.

We are almost in the same boat. We have a LR RWD with EAP. Will be ordering SR+ black/black or maybe blue/black, aero wheels, but with AP. The only thing holding us back is the timing around an upcoming vacation. We might place the order after we get back. SR+ will be replacing our Prius. Now we don’t need to “fight” over who gets to drive the Tesla to work.

We are almost in the same boat. We have a LR RWD with EAP. Will be ordering SR+ black/black or maybe blue/black, aero wheels, but with AP. The only thing holding us back is the timing around an upcoming vacation. We might place the order after we get back. SR+ will be replacing our Prius. Now we don’t need to “fight” over who gets to drive the Tesla to work.
Best to order it after you are back from vacation. There maybe another price drop of M3 after you come back, who knows? ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: SoCalMom

Jeez, and here I am getting excited when a package from Amazon is coming!

We will find out soon. If they do you could essentially charge the SR to 100% daily to make up the difference, the extra range would only be useful on road trips.
Although, from a profit margin stand point, it would be hard for me to believe that the $35k standard range battery is a software limited version of the $37k battery. Elon says that making the 35k model profitable is extremely difficult, so I can't imagine they would pack extra unnecessary battery in the $35k model to increase costs.

Reactions: MXWing
There are still a few unknowns with the SR+ model. I have an order in for the SR+, but I may upgrade if I get some answers that I don’t like. Here is what we still don’t know:

1) How many speakers are included in the SR+ config.
2) Does the SR+ have the Homelink module? Two reps say yes, one says no. We know it’s not location based, but whether it has the module at all is still an unknown.
3) No traffic visualization included, nor satellite maps. But will there be an option to pay a subscription to add them. There is a hint in the FAQ page that suggests they will announce this later on in the year. We do know that the Premium interior only provides them for 12 months, after that it will be an optional subscription.

So with the above few things aside, moving up to the MR with Premium Interior gives me the higher end sound system, location based Homelink, one year traffic visualization/satellite maps subscription, and heated rear seats. And 24 more miles or range. I’m having a hard time seeing $3K in value for these things, which is why I went with the SR+. I hope I’m not missing anything that I’ll come to regret later.

Although, from a profit margin stand point, it would be hard for me to believe that the $35k standard range battery is a software limited version of the $37k battery. Elon says that making the 35k model profitable is extremely difficult, so I can't imagine they would pack extra unnecessary battery in the $35k model to increase costs.
Check the model S with the software limited battery, 2k is nothing. They want to sell SR+ or MR not SRs, it might be more cost effective to software limit the battery. But if you want to know for sure just wait a little bit longer to order :)

Is SR crippled SR+ or SR+ is crippled MR (software lock)/ $35K is a lot of car. This poll is way off as those who did not buy, are just lurking and did not have to create an account yet. But for $35K OTD once can get a fully loaded Camry/Honda/Nissan Sedan with a lot of features such as leather moonroof, fog lamps, etc. If one does not care for that, then this is amazing price. Without badges, they all look alike ish minus wheels (and brakes) and i guess fog lamps.

Is SR crippled SR+ or SR+ is crippled MR (software lock)/ $35K is a lot of car. This poll is way off as those who did not buy, are just lurking and did not have to create an account yet. But for $35K OTD once can get a fully loaded Camry/Honda/Nissan Sedan with a lot of features such as leather moonroof, fog lamps, etc. If one does not care for that, then this is amazing price. Without badges, they all look alike ish minus wheels (and brakes) and i guess fog lamps.
We will find out soon, but the MR is lighter weight than the LR. Tesla was supposedly designing a cheaper battery pack from ground up for the SR. My hypothesis is that SR is software locked SR+, and that eventually the mid-range model will go away. I also think that the SR and SR+ will be merged.

You heard it here first! :p

What if the SR+ is software locked MR?

So you can now buy a Model 3 with a range of 220, 240, 264, 310, or 325 miles. It seems far too complex given their desire to simplify their manufacturing process, not to mention make it easy to purchase a car online without the need to speak with a salesperson first.