Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll]- Last days to order 60/60D by April 16th, anyone?

Did you order 60/60D?

• Yes, I already order MORE THAN one 60/60D.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Yes, I already order one 60/60D.

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Yes, I already took delivery of 60/60D.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • Not sure. Don't own any Tesla

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Not sure. Already own a Tesla

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • No, I already own a Tesla. Don't need more.

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • No, I already own MULTIPLE Tesla. Don't need more.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • No, I will save my money for Model 3

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • No, I bet an improved version of Model S or new model will release next month

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you own a Roadster or Model X?

Roadster, of course. The X is even bigger than the S, and the S is WAY too big for me, or I'd have gotten one some time ago.

... Insane acceleration is an awesome feature, and something that you can use to impress your friends, or perhaps use to quickly escape an impending accident...

I highly doubt that extreme acceleration would help escape an accident unless maybe you are a professional race-car driver capable of shutting everything else out of your mind and being constantly, fully aware of every car around you and capable of split-second reaction. For the rest of us, when an accident is impending, unless it's just a car coming up quickly from behind, accelerating would more likely make the accident worse.

Where extreme acceleration really shines is merging, passing, and getting up to the speed of traffic when turning into a road. The Roadster is amazing for that, and some versions of the Model S are even quicker than the Roadster. Getting onto the freeway, if there's nobody ahead of me, I can match the speed of the freeway traffic long before I reach the top of the on ramp.

I have a 70D. Not once have I thought "Man I wish this had more acceleration". Its got enough, up to legal + 10 speeds.
60D is similar, range is a little lesser, but most likely not an issue. IMO the only reason Tesla is discontinuing it,
1. To create differentiation in price with Model 3, and
2. People are realizing, that there is no need to have a bigger battery, so hardly anyone is upgrading.

I highly doubt that extreme acceleration would help escape an accident unless maybe you are a professional race-car driver capable of shutting everything else out of your mind and being constantly, fully aware of every car around you and capable of split-second reaction. For the rest of us, when an accident is impending, unless it's just a car coming up quickly from behind, accelerating would more likely make the accident worse.

Hence the very limited practicality of Ludicrous Mode. Fun? Yes, especially from a dead stop. Practical and applicable to everyday driving? No.​

Where extreme acceleration really shines is merging, passing, and getting up to the speed of traffic when turning into a road. The Roadster is amazing for that, and some versions of the Model S are even quicker than the Roadster. Getting onto the freeway, if there's nobody ahead of me, I can match the speed of the freeway traffic long before I reach the top of the on ramp.

Agreed, and I believe this applies to most of the vehicles Tesla manufactures. IMO, while traveling in the neighborhood of 50 MPH or more, with or without Ludicrous Mode enabled, the acceleration of the 60 is on par with the other larger battery options of the Model S, performance included.

Since my delivery in late March, I have driven my 2017 60, a 2013 85 and a 2014 P85D. There are some differences, however the acceleration when traveling at speed is quite similar. Without Ludicrous, even the initial pickup of the 60 is not far off from the more-expensive loaners I have been driving.​

I've never had the opportunity to drive a Model S on the freeway. But the Roadster has acceleration up the wazoo all the way up at least to 90 mph. That only happened once when a VW Bug was starting to pass me at 70 mph (?). (I did not cut him off. He was in the passing lane, I was in the regular lane. Nobody ahead of me, so I floored it. After showing him what a Tesla can do, I slowed back down to the speed limit and let him go on by to get a speeding ticket if that was his intention.) At 75 if you floor it, the Roadster will be doing 90 before you realize what's happened.

I hate driving next to trucks. So I use that acceleration to get past them on the freeway.

For passing on 2-lane roads, the Prius can go fast enough, but by the time you build up the speed, the opportunity to pass safely is gone. With the Roadster, when you want the speed to pass, you have it in an eye-blink. I have no experience with the Model S, but I would imagine that the P versions can get up to passing speed a lot quicker than the regular versions.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
I have a 70D. Not once have I thought "Man I wish this had more acceleration". Its got enough, up to legal + 10 speeds.
60D is similar, range is a little lesser, but most likely not an issue. IMO the only reason Tesla is discontinuing it,
1. To create differentiation in price with Model 3, and
2. People are realizing, that there is no need to have a bigger battery, so hardly anyone is upgrading.
I think the main reason why 60/60D is discontinued is because Tesla is making a lot less profit compared to other models. In addition, the number of people upgrading to 75D is a lot less than expected, just like you said.

Roadster, of course. The X is even bigger than the S, and the S is WAY too big for me, or I'd have gotten one some time ago.

Example of Tesla's acceleration saving the day

^ So a car came up fast behind. I mentioned that as the one situation where hard acceleration could be really useful. And of course we don't really know whether there'd have been an accident or the approaching car would have slowed. Nor do we know whether that driver was impaired or just momentarily distracted.