Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Make yoke or steering wheel an option?

Should Tesla give buyers the option of a yoke or a steering wheel?

• Yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've seen that owners have polarized opinions about the yoke in the refreshed Model S Plaid. Should Tesla give owners the option of choosing a yoke or a steering wheel when ordering car —like it already does with paint colors, dark or white interior, battery size, wheel sizes, FSD, etc?
But in so doing, there wouldn't be controversy and free press coverage thus, that's not an incentive for Tesla.

Because more choice is always something people would want (there isnt any real reason to say " I dont want a choice" here), this is a somewhat leading question.

A better question would be something like "should tesla raise the price of all model S vehicles by $500 to allow choice of steering wheel?" or something. Choice costs money, so there would be a cost to tesla in allowing a choice at that point.

While everyone will say "of course I want a choice", when there is a cost to every vehicle for having that choice, (like there would be to tesla for offering it), it may not be as cut and dried, then.

Reactions: Aellinsar
A better question would be something like "should tesla raise the price of all model S vehicles by $500 to allow choice of steering wheel?" or something. Choice costs money, so there would be a cost to tesla in allowing a choice at that point.
I think the issue of additional cost is a given, isn't it? That's the case with bigger battery, white interior, other colors, larger wheels, FSD. I simply assume there will likewise be an additional cost for choosing something beyond the "standard" the Tesla offers —whatever that is.

I think the issue of additional cost is a given, isn't it? That's the case with bigger battery, white interior, other colors, larger wheels, FSD. I simply assume there will likewise be an additional cost for choosing something beyond the "standard" the Tesla offers —whatever that is.

I guess I wasnt clear on what I was saying. What I was saying is, the question should be, should the price of the model s be raised $500 for EVERY vehicle, to allow people to have the choice of steering wheel (for another additional fee).

It IS a given that tesla offering a choice of steering wheel, when they dont know, incurs a cost to them as a company. I am not talking about the cost of the steering wheel as a purchase option, I am talking about the cost to tesla for offering a choice.

So, do you believe the cost of the vehicle should be increased (to throw a number at the wall) $500 so that the OPTION to order a wheel for an additional fee is there for those who want whatever is not standard? Like, every model S would be $500 more (yolk or not) and since the yolk is standard, those who want a round steering wheel would choose that as an option for an additional charge, like $300 or something.

Every car = 500 more, for those who want an option to choose to get that option (along with an upcharge).

Like I said, simply asking "should we be able to choose"? is "yes , of course". Who is against having more choice unless there is some repercussion for it? Tesla offers less options because they say it makes the car(s) cheaper to produce for them, so in order to offer this choice, they would likely want to pass on whatever cost that is to the company for them to offer the choice. I just threw a number at the wall with no basis of $500, because it sounds like a reasonable number to increase every model S price by that in order to offer that choice.

So, do you believe the cost of the vehicle should be increased (to throw a number at the wall) $500 so that the OPTION to order a wheel for an additional fee is there for those who want whatever is not standard?
Yes. Just like the cost of the vehicle would increase by $2,000 if you chose larger wheels on the "order" page. Again, to me that would be a "given," like with other options beyond Tesla's "standard" configurations. I guess I should have said… "even if it raises the cost"… in the poll. Sorry. My bad to assume that would be understood.

Yes. Just like the cost of the vehicle would increase by $2,000 if you chose larger wheels on the "order" page. Again, to me that would be a "given," like with other options beyond Tesla's "standard" configurations. I guess I should have said… "even if it raises the cost"… in the poll. Sorry. My bad to assume that would be understood.

We still are not on the same page here. You are saying "would you pay extra for the feature." and I am saying "should everyone pay extra for the car regardless of whether they choose the feature or not, and then those who choose the feature pay extra again for that.

We still are not on the same page here. You are saying "would you pay extra for the feature." and I am saying "should everyone pay extra for the car regardless of whether they choose the feature or not, and then those who choose the feature pay extra again for that.
Dunno. Is that the case with other options? For example, everyone is paying extra for a Model Y regardless of whether they choose 5 or 7 seats? And then those who choose 7 seats pay extra again? If so, I wasn't aware that such was the case. It sounds like you were aware of it, and it would apply here as well.

There will? Uh… I don't recall any press coverage about the other options offered representing a controversy, but maybe I haven't paid attention…? Which ones has the press focused on?

The press has focused on the yoke steering. They have not focused on how dangerous the rounded steering wheel could be. Consumer Reports has never covered a Tesla rounded-steering wheel as a separate research subject before. Then suddenly, it gave free coverage on the Tesla yoke steering wheel:

The poll is "Should Tesla give buyers the option of a yoke or a steering wheel?"

If the answer is "yes" for there is a choice, then doing so would not generate much controversy.

Forcing an only single choice does, but giving choices does not.

So why should Tesla skip a free controversy, free press coverage by giving choices?

Last edited:
Dunno. Is that the case with other options? For example, everyone is paying extra for a Model Y regardless of whether they choose 5 or 7 seats? And then those who choose 7 seats pay extra again? If so, I wasn't aware that such was the case. It sounds like you were aware of it, and it would apply here as well.

Wrong comparison. It should be a free choice of exchange 5 seats for 5 seats and 7 seats for 7 seats or 1 steering wheel for 1 steering wheel. There should not be an added charge.

Wrong comparison. It should be a free choice of exchange 5 seats for 5 seats and 7 seats for 7 seats or 1 steering wheel for 1 steering wheel. There should not be an added charge.
Uh… Okayl So is a better analogy a choice to exchange one set of seats (black) for another set of seats (white) —for which there is an added charge? I frankly don't get where you keep going with this, but if the poll questions are too simplistic, too nebulous, not inclusive or explanatory enough for you, please feel free to post a better one. Thanks!

Tesla has already set the price of the vehicle based on the options they do or do not currently offer as choice. You are proposing additional build choice, so tesla would have additional cost that is not already budgeted for in the cost of the vehicle. Its not 5 seats y for 7 seats Y, because they have already budgeted for that.

It would be more like "should tesla offer 5 more additional color choices?"? The answer would be "sure, why not, everyone wants more choices". Offering 5 more color choices, though, would incur additional manufacturing costs to tesla, so the question would be, how much do they have to raise the price of every car in order to offer these manufacturing choices of additional colors?

Same idea, but obviously either I am not explaining it very well, or you dont agree that there would be an additional cost to manufacture for tesla to offer choice on some feature they dont currently offer choice on.

So, "Yes, of course, they should offer an additional choice of steering wheel, as well as more colors, more interior color choices, etc".

Uh… Okayl So is a better analogy a choice to exchange one set of seats (black) for another set of seats (white) —for which there is an added charge? I frankly don't get where you keep going with this, but if the poll questions are too simplistic, too nebulous, not inclusive or explanatory enough for you, please feel free to post a better one. Thanks!

Thanks for posting the poll.

I only comment on why Tesla mandates a more potentially dangerous choice. Once we understand Tesla's motives, we can see what chances the choices will be likely happening in the future.

The poll has no seat choices but you added later which I think is not the same.

Same idea, but obviously either I am not explaining it very well, or you dont agree that there would be an additional cost to manufacture for tesla to offer choice on some feature they dont currently offer choice on.

So, "Yes, of course, they should offer an additional choice of steering wheel, as well as more colors, more interior color choices, etc".
Fine. Do a poll that clarifies "that there would be an additional cost to manufacture" for Tesla to offer a steering choice, then.

...Tesla has already set the price of the vehicle based on the options they do or do not currently offer as choice...

I think restricting options to cut down the cost is a legitimate reason.

However, sometimes Tesla added options due to pressure.

Model 3 did not come out with a fob option. There were lots of complaints about the inconvenience because of the lack of a fob. Tesla eventually provided the Model 3 fob with an additional cost of course.

Here are some quotes from Toyota regarding their yoke wheel on their SUV bZ4X vehicle. "Toyota has unveiled a steering wheel similar to Tesla’s “yoke” steering wheel in its first electric SUV, but the automaker has introduced an important feature that fixes the main problem of the Tesla yoke. The yoke arrived with an electronic steer-by-wire system that will, in fact, alter the steering ratio as needed. Toyota indicated that lock-to-lock, the yoke will only need to be turned 150 degrees—far less that the three complete turns usually required in cars today. Ss drivers will not have to take their hands off of the yoke in order to turn." Also buyers can order the vehicle with the yoke or a traditional steering wheel and the horn button on both wheels is on the center of the wheel. And the stalks for turn signals, wipers, etc. are still there with either wheel. So why can't Tesla wise up and give folks this option. Then everyone is happy and Tesla won't lose buyers to other manufactures that give them a choice.