Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Nav Always Slams to the Top

My opinion of Nav always re-re-reverting to the top is:

• I love it. I mess with Nav more than anything else, including music.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Sux. Why can't we -choose- our screen layout and have it stick, like it used to be?

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A while back Tesla decided that Nav should be on top. Alot of owners like it this way.

But Tesla took away our choice. Used to be we could set what went on top and bottom, and the firmware respected and remembered that. But now each time I get in the car Nav slams back to the top, eliminating the large icons and obscuring the title bar icons. Well I want it on the bottom and I want to be able to choose the layout of my own screen.

I've gone through half the variables so far and there isn't one to set screen layout yet. And I haven't heard of anyone being able to modify this, root or no.

Anyone save me some time and advise where these settings are?

And also anyone know where I can get a new US maps firmware image? PM me if you like.

Agree. Considering the trivial effort to position the nav screen wherever you want, I can't see there is a serious issue here.

I must disagree (and have posted on this issue before). The dual issue of the touchscreen layout being 'forced' by the current firmware combined by the 'pop-down' top menu bar is a major step backwards. The 'pop-down' bar has a lag. So you sometimes tap and wait, or tap too late. Then the positioning of the 'buttons' on the touchscreen shifts depending if the top menu bar is hidden or displayed. So lots of taps to get to the function you want, and basically no useful muscle memory. If I have the nav display on top and the backup camera on the bottom, and select the media panel, it pops over the bottom. When I'm done I need to tap the top area, wait for the 'pop-down' to occur, tap and drag the backup camera display to the bottom area of the touchscreen (yes, using the small window tool at the top). Way more taps and drags then before. So why just not at least give me a toggle to keep the top menu bar in place (I can stand losing a small amount of the top edge of the full touchscreen)??

Reactions: bmah
Why this rambling ?

You can still both swap position, and set default position for items like music/map etc.. just long press the icon.
Agree. Considering the trivial effort to position the nav screen wherever you want, I can't see there is a serious issue here.
I notice the snippiness in your tones, which is inappropriate especially given that you are mods.

No, long-pressing does not stick. To say it another way, long-pressing the Nav icon and sliding to the bottom square while Nav is on the bottom, does na-ha-hot make nav stay at the bottom when you get in the car next.

There is no retention, and retension is precisely what my post is about. I want Nav to -stay- at the bottom, when I set it there. But it does not. We used to have this feature, but do no longer.

Reactions: Trebek1762
I notice the snippiness in your tones, which is inappropriate especially given that you are mods.

No, long-pressing does not stick. To say it another way, long-pressing the Nav icon and sliding to the bottom square while Nav is on the bottom, does na-ha-hot make nav stay at the bottom when you get in the car next.

There is no retention, and retension is precisely what my post is about. I want Nav to -stay- at the bottom, when I set it there. But it does not. We used to have this feature, but do no longer.
Sorry, wasn't trying to be snippy, just not wordy.

I'm a bit confused on 'stickiness'. If I move the nav to bottom, it stays there. If I expand nav to full screen and then shrink it, it also stays on the bottom. (2018.26)

I've got the nav up and music and pretty much never use anything else (camera pops up when needed as do calendar entries) so this just doesn't seem like such a deal. I guess we just have a very different way of interacting.

It's just that considering the other issues with the UI, I just cannot consider this of high priority but you clearly feel differently which is fine.

(And neither of us are 'mods'.)