Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Now that they are increasing FSD from $3k to $5k, will you be purchasing it?

Will you be purchasing FSD during configuration now that the price will be increasing?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real test is seeing you get in the passenger's seat of a FSD Tesla with no driver for a spirited drive around the cliffs of California.

I'd pick the outclassed pre-AP Tesla with a professional driver for the same drive.
Many of us know how this ends...
giphy.webp

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
I like to live on the tech edge....

Did you buy a signature Model S in 2012? Or better yet, a Roadster in 2008? That's "living on the tech edge" to me. Pressing the button to pay for FSD is not my idea of living on the tech edge at all. My grandmother can do that.

For me, not getting the FSD package just limits my cars future updates and upgrades....

Yes, we all know that. The issue for many of us is "when" and "what". For me, the "when" is too far away, and the "what" is looking more like a joke of little features here and there, after many months ago showing us a FSD video that is looking more and more suspect. So to some of us, "limiting" our cars is not falling for what looks to some of us to be a sucker trap. Only time will tell.

So, as long as it takes, I look forward to anything new that they throw at the car once EAP hits it's full software capabilities...

You're Tesla's perfect customer... I'll pay now and wait "as long as it takes" and I will be happy with Full Self Driving features that are not "full self driving" at all. That's just not very appealing to some of us, and even borders on a scam. So I'll pay for FSD, and be more than happy to pay far more than whatever I could have paid when ordering the car, when I can get in the back seat when I'm too tired, or had a couple of drinks, and have it drive me home. Until then, I feel I paid too much just for EAP, since I barely use it, and having it stop at signs or lights, or turn the signal off after changing lanes, all while I still have to pay 100% attention, is not FSD to me, it's EBS (Elon's BS!). Elon's a master at parting people (fools?) from their money -- there's just too many examples of that -- free supercharging going away, then it's not, then FSD "starts" to roll out in August to get people to pay when ordering because barely anyone is since, to some of us, telling us FSD will roll out slowly is like telling us someone is "a little bit pregnant" -- we just can't buy into such nonsense since you're either pregnant or you're not, and the car either FSD or it does not. Period.

No, I think anyone who thinks FSD is possible with these cars is dreaming.

Maybe if you buy FSD now, tesla will be forced to install the hardware required for FSD when/if it's ready. But even that isn't happening for many years. There are too many variables on the road for a computer to be able to handle them all as well as a human.

Did you buy a signature Model S in 2012? Or better yet, a Roadster in 2008? That's "living on the tech edge" to me. Pressing the button to pay for FSD is not my idea of living on the tech edge at all. My grandmother can do that.

Yes, we all know that. The issue for many of us is "when" and "what". For me, the "when" is too far away, and the "what" is looking more like a joke of little features here and there, after many months ago showing us a FSD video that is looking more and more suspect. So to some of us, "limiting" our cars is not falling for what looks to some of us to be a sucker trap. Only time will tell.

You're Tesla's perfect customer... I'll pay now and wait "as long as it takes" and I will be happy with Full Self Driving features that are not "full self driving" at all. That's just not very appealing to some of us, and even borders on a scam. So I'll pay for FSD, and be more than happy to pay far more than whatever I could have paid when ordering the car, when I can get in the back seat when I'm too tired, or had a couple of drinks, and have it drive me home. Until then, I feel I paid too much just for EAP, since I barely use it, and having it stop at signs or lights, or turn the signal off after changing lanes, all while I still have to pay 100% attention, is not FSD to me, it's EBS (Elon's BS!). Elon's a master at parting people (fools?) from their money -- there's just too many examples of that -- free supercharging going away, then it's not, then FSD "starts" to roll out in August to get people to pay when ordering because barely anyone is since, to some of us, telling us FSD will roll out slowly is like telling us someone is "a little bit pregnant" -- we just can't buy into such nonsense since you're either pregnant or you're not, and the car either FSD or it does not. Period.

I totally get where you are coming from.... Couldn't afford a Model S or the Roadster.... If I could have, I would have been all in!

The option for FSD is not currently something for everyone.......

Personally (for me), It's something that can be rolled into the payment or financed now, instead of out of pocket later (if it arrives at all).

I like knowing that there will be a time when some updates and upgrades will roll out that not having the FSD package will prevent me from getting.... I also like knowing that I will be able to get these "exclusive" updates and upgrades to "test and play with" that not everyone will get...

And last.... It locks me into getting any and all possible equipment upgrades for free if the time comes that FSD needs new equipment to make the model 3 FSD (if that even happens)..... No one can be sure (Although Elon went on record indicating equipment upgrades would be free) that anyone that didn't take that package won't be hit with some cost..... On top of that, because I have that package and if new software for that package needs upgraded equipment, I'll be near the front of the line for it...

I'm a tech-head.... So, the choice of getting a Tesla with constant updates.... new feature.... new features really appeals to me... Also having a car that will constantly get better on a regular basis makes this the perfect choice for me...

Reactions: Canuck and Chedawg
I ordered FSD to get more features, not sure I will see actually FSD anytime soon. Found a large snow type shovel on the freeway today, made me wonder what a FSD car would have done.

24" Arctic Blast Steel Snow Pusher, Ash Handle

Makes me wonder what would have happened? I slowed down and changed lanes and avoided it.

Imagine: it's 2028. You're driving in your Tesla down a desolate, straight rural road at 105 mph, using full EAP and FSD. Cop, hiding behind a hedge, sees you, clocks you at 105, starts following, turns on siren and flashing lights. A camera on the front of his cop car's grille zooms in on your license plate, looks it up in the cloud, sends a command to a state-law-approved system that all car manufacturers must abide by that in turns sends a signal to your car. Suddenly a loud alarm sounds in your car, and a warning dialog appears on your screen: 'Law enforcement orders you to immediately safely pull this car over. If you do not comply the car will automatically do so on its own in 10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . . 7 . . " etc.

Or imagine it's 2028 you're driving your Tesla in a busy city. Maybe you are a minority, just driving along perfectly legally. Suddenly a cop is behind you, sirens and flashing lights, and the same warning appears on your screen.

This is the price of EAP, FSD, and the cloud-based, always-connected world that Tesla is also leading us into. All Tesla's reasons may right now be perfectly sensible (OTA software updates, detecting problems in the car in real time, notifying law enforcement of your car's whereabouts if it's stolen, etc) but at some point when the whole world catches up, so will the laws on the books, to take advantage of cars that are controlled by computer and the internet.

I'm not sure I like that world.
Unless it's a liquid metal cyborg from the future, wouldn't you want to pull over anyways?

Last edited:
I can't believe people would pay thousands of dollars for something that's not available yet, nor do we have any idea of when or if it will ever be. It's entirely possible you could buy full-self-driving for a car and sell (or total in an accident) the car before you ever get to use that function. As much as I like to buy into hype, I could never justify paying now for something that may not exist for years (if ever)

Imagine: it's 2028. You're driving in your Tesla down a desolate, straight rural road at 105 mph, using full EAP and FSD. Cop, hiding behind a hedge, sees you, clocks you at 105, starts following, turns on siren and flashing lights. A camera on the front of his cop car's grille zooms in on your license plate, looks it up in the cloud, sends a command to a state-law-approved system that all car manufacturers must abide by that in turns sends a signal to your car. Suddenly a loud alarm sounds in your car, and a warning dialog appears on your screen: 'Law enforcement orders you to immediately safely pull this car over. If you do not comply the car will automatically do so on its own in 10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . . 7 . . " etc.

Or imagine it's 2028 you're driving your Tesla in a busy city. Maybe you are a minority, just driving along perfectly legally. Suddenly a cop is behind you, sirens and flashing lights, and the same warning appears on your screen.

This is the price of EAP, FSD, and the cloud-based, always-connected world that Tesla is also leading us into. All Tesla's reasons may right now be perfectly sensible (OTA software updates, detecting problems in the car in real time, notifying law enforcement of your car's whereabouts if it's stolen, etc) but at some point when the whole world catches up, so will the laws on the books, to take advantage of cars that are controlled by computer and the internet.

I'm not sure I like that world.
I can't believe people would pay thousands of dollars for something that's not available yet, nor do we have any idea of when or if it will ever be. It's entirely possible you could buy full-self-driving for a car and sell (or total in an accident) the car before you ever get to use that function. As much as I like to buy into hype, I could never justify paying now for something that may not exist for years (if ever)

Elon Musk on Twitter

FSD features should start rolling out soon. I think of it more as Enhanced EAP or EEAP :)

If my car can un-park itself and meet me in front of the store I'm shopping at I think this would be cool enough to make me happy for 3k.

Better yet if it can drop me off and pick me up at the airport in a couple years. Although after being at the airport last weekend I have to wonder exactly how things like this could possibly work ;)

I wasn't planning on getting FSD, but decided it would be a nice icing on top. I mean it's only twice as much as having a color I wanted...

Color and Nice rims or a car that could potentially drive itself, which will also start getting more updates than people who only ordered EAP?

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert831

FSD is an option that is made up of many different feature sets... similar to EAP and before the AP. We will start to see the first feature set for FSD roll out with TeslaOS 9 according to Elon on or shortly after August 2018.

You're correct in that it may take years for the entire feature set to roll out, but the good news is that for those that paid for it up front, or paid the after the fact price, they will begin to slowly see it in operation with each TeslaOS update.

I'm hoping that features like the Dashcam will also make use of FSD in terms of the number of cameras. If you have EAP, then you get only three cams for Dashcam, but if you have FSD, then maybe you get all either cams?

Let's see what exactly is the feature set of FSD, but it's good that we may see it in a few months.

Here is hoping that TeslaOS 9 does indeed roll out by end of August with the first feature set of FSD.