Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on Model 3 Air Vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an Arizona driver who uses AC a lot, I love the vent system. In my past vehicles it seems my hands on the wheel usually block the airflow, but with this vent system I always have air flowing through the wheel and onto me. Love it!

The couple of things I'd change... First, would like the ability to turn off passenger side air. Right now I just point it at me, and get double air! Second would be the ability to control fan speed from the main interface (like controlling the temp) without going into the AC screen.

I can't say enough about having cold air even when the car is idling. For a long highway commute during rush hour, it sure it nice to keep cool during the stop & go! This was actually an EV selling point for me!

Agreed. My wife wants the same thing sometimes so the best I can come up with is to put the temp setting to dual zone so she can put the temp to what she wants on her side and then redirect the flow away from her.

For myself, I rarely readjust the vent flow direction. It’s at a position that I’m happy with and I basically don’t need to adjust it. I also use the “auto” setting 99% of the time. The only thing I really do is turn the HVAC on or off and adjust the temperature. I’m quite happy with how it performs.
This sounds crazy and I almost don't believe it myself, but last week my "Auto" wasn't working so I overrode it. Later it still didn't work so I rebooted the screen and it started to work, but it didn't seem cold enough, I live in Texas and it was 94 degrees outside but it had always handled it before. I used the help feature in the app and told them about the problem saying even when when I turn it to 68, the lowest setting, it wasn't cooling the car well. I then went to my son's house to watch a soccer game and when I came out, the car was set on 67 degrees and was ice cold but it was night time. Also the settings would go as low as 63 degrees now. Do "they" do stuff like that or am I hallucinating? I did have a couple drinks during the game :)

Couple of points about the temp. up near the roof:
1. You definitely need to buy the interior UV screens! They were included with our MX but had to be purchased as accessories for our M3. The MX was unbearable in summer heat without its screen in place. The M3 has two separate screens to be purchased; you might try ordering just the front screen first and see how you like it. I'm 6'3" and my story is that you will want the both, though.
2. The M3 UI has a little vertical scrollbar on the outer edges of the display that allows one to drag the vents to aim upward.
Wish you well with it, fellow big fella.

Thanks fellow big guy! I do have both screens, I took out the front one because my hair kept rubbing it and it bothered me. LOL! I will try dragging the vents, stupid me didn't even think of it, just the side to side.

Ok, I'm feeling different again...
I just spent the 4th of July holiday with family at my house. No one wanted to drive around in any other car but the 3! :cool:
My Mom and wife were in the back seat while my nephew, who's in Electronic Engineering at College of the Mines, drooled all over the engineering and computer system.
I never had to turn on the A/C vents in the back and both of them stayed quite comfortable even with the sun beaming down on us all afternoon.
Has anybody noticed if this has changed in one of the updates?
I looked for a short while for a place to shut it off. ??? I seem to be in the opposite place from most of you in this thread.
Just wondering... :rolleyes:

I never had to turn on the A/C vents in the back and both of them stayed quite comfortable even with the sun beaming down on us all afternoon.
Has anybody noticed if this has changed in one of the updates?
I looked for a short while for a place to shut it off. ??? I seem to be in the opposite place from most of you in this thread.
Just wondering... :rolleyes:

I believe that the vents in back turn on/off automatically based on if somebody is sitting in the seats.

Count me in for overall really liking the system. The only real issue I've seen is the rear heating too much when in heat mode. My first big wish would be to have a simple 'Vent' mode (no Heat or AC). Just turning off AC doesn't disable heat unless the temp is turned way way down. Another wish would be to display on the temp settings along the bottom of the screen if it was in heat mode (red) or cooling mode (blue) or vent mode (white)

• Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Based on my experience using A vents in the Model X, the ents in the 3 are a lot better. Much easier to select where I want the air to go. With the X, adjustability is a lot more limited and is a guessing game every time.

+1 to being able to turn off the front passenger side,
+2 to being able to have vent locations set per profile
The kids also want the ability to turn off the rear vents from the back. I'm also find it unnecessarily complicated to control the a/c when defogging is needed or I want to save battery and just want a fan blowing. Having to put eyes on screen rather than using tactile feel is not good in 'critical' eyes on road times.

My wife also struggles to get the full fan cool in face setting when first getting into a hot car.

Overall I'm neutral as to whether it's better than physical buttons. I would say that for single zone, I like physical buttons, but for dual zone use the screen is better. There are trade off's either way.