Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Untapped 0-60 performance in the LR today? With only OTA-SOFTWARE the car could...

Untapped 0-60 performance in the LR today? With only OTA-SOFTWARE the car could...

• 5.1 sec. Nothing extra dreamer!

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • 4.9 to 5.0 sec. A little something reserved.

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • 4.5 to 4.8 sec. Quite a bit untapped.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • 4.0 to 4.4 sec. Gobs of potential.

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • <4.0 sec. Crazy hidden potential!

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consider that the fastest and quickest EVs in the world use PM.
It is all about how the motor has been optimized isn't it? Although they are not the same, electric motors are like ICE in that the same technology produces vastly different results depending on design goals.

It is all about how the motor has been optimized isn't it? Although they are not the same, electric motors are like ICE in that the same technology produces vastly different results depending on design goals.
Rimac Concept S with an 82 kWh battery uses four motors with two single-speed gearboxes in the front and in the rear it uses a pair of two-speed dual clutch gearboxes. It does 0-62 in 2.5 seconds and top speed of 227 mph.

I believe it's higher torque than the P100D but lower RPM.

Max battery power of a 75 kW battery is somewhere in the 330-350 HP range. With the rear Model 3 motor reportedly 258 HP, and comparing to the max battery power of the 40 kW Model S limited to 235 HP w/ 0-60 of 6.5 seconds. I'd say there's not much left from a motor limiting perspective on the Model 3.

That being said. A Model 3 dual motor could take advantage of the max battery power and likely push down to 4.2 seconds maybe lower with the vehicle being a few hundred pounds lighter.

Thoughts?
Doesn't this depend upon the C rate of discharge for that 2170 based pack?
If so we don't have any idea of what that is yet.

Doesn't this depend upon the C rate of discharge for that 2170 based pack?
If so we don't have any idea of what that is yet.
Since it's all a guessing game at the moment and there's been enough evidence to suggest there's max motor power and max battery power which differ. Apples to apples I'm guessing the output of a 75kWh - 80kWh battery exceeds the max power of the single Model 3 motor.

C rate certainly plays a role as Tesla played that game with the power available from the 85 kWh pack having 81 kWh @ a 1C rating. My understanding is drawing lower than 1C will net you more total power than the 1C rate.

Tesla definitely software limits non-P models. If the software resitrictions were removed the 80 kWh M3 would have no trouble achieving < 5s 0-60.

Since it's all a guessing game at the moment and there's been enough evidence to suggest there's max motor power and max battery power which differ. Apples to apples I'm guessing the output of a 75kWh - 80kWh battery exceeds the max power of the single Model 3 motor.

C rate certainly plays a role as Tesla played that game with the power available from the 85 kWh pack having 81 kWh @ a 1C rating. My understanding is drawing lower than 1C will net you more total power than the 1C rate.

Yup, no doubt the 80 kWh pack would be capable of putting out more current than the single motor could handle. Guess we'll need to wait for the P80D to find out.

I think the limiting factor is the motor. No real facts to support this, just a hunch. I'm guessing that the c rate of the battery is higher, but until we get some data, Tesla is being conservative. I suspect that the inverter has plenty of margin too. It's the motor output that I just don't know and until we get real specs...

Tesla definitely software limits non-P models. If the software resitrictions were removed the 80 kWh M3 would have no trouble achieving < 5s 0-60.

Yup, no doubt the 80 kWh pack would be capable of putting out more current than the single motor could handle. Guess we'll need to wait for the P80D to find out.

If you'd replace software with motor, then I'd agree.

But what about the SR pack. Are we screwed for upgraded Performance with a SR battery pack?