Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Will Tesla ever offer a key fob for the Model 3?

When will Tesla offer a key fob for the Model 3?

• Never

Votes: 135 75.8%

Votes: 19 10.7%

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • 2020 and beyond

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once again conjecture like the 16 yr old daughter post you and I had earlier. I do not fall under any of the things you mentioned above. But you possibly bring up some points to help others

As far as sub-par phones. I agree with that but Tesla should have not assumed we all own the same kind of phones.

You do notice also that there are not that many third party apps with regarding music. Slacker sucks and I have been bluetoothing pandora since day one with out any interruptions or that stupid loading error u get with slacker. I have not posted anything about that problem until now. And this is the last post regarding slacker for me.

I have been trying to adapt with phone key thing for days. Still not working. I have not even casted a vote under this thread because I want resolve to the phone key issue.

Oh model x/s owners all own the same key fob!

And Krugerrand keep it to yourself the key card thing does not meet my needs.
[semantics] S and X fobs are different. [/sematics]
model-s-and-model-x-key-fob1-e1489007334226.jpg

And if Tesla does a Model 3 fob, I want it to look like the Model 3. Not like the garbage generic fobs we (I) carry around now.

[semantics] S and X fobs are different. [/sematics]
model-s-and-model-x-key-fob1-e1489007334226.jpg

And if Tesla does a Model 3 fob, I want it to look like the Model 3. Not like the garbage generic fobs we (I) carry around now.

Thank you for educating me that there is a difference between the key fob for the model S and the model X. So sorry to assume

But I believe you understand my point being that I would like to have a key fob.

• Funny
Reactions: Electroman
Thank you for educating me that there is a difference between the key fob for the model S and the model X. So sorry to assume

But I believe you understand my point being that I would like to have a key fob.
It was more tongue in cheek... Before they announced phone key I really was hoping for a BT fob like the X where it wouldn't be susceptible to replay attacks like the S is (which is how folks are stealing them in Eastern Europe). So I understand the skepticism. I was just trying to point out that the S and X fobs had rough spots in the beginning just like the 3 has with Phone Key and that most of the issues were resolved over time.

In the interim, why don't folks that have issues with Phone key escalate for executive review their want of a normal FOB. Presume if enough folks do this maybe Tesla would in fact come out with a Model 3 fob.

It was more tongue in cheek... Before they announced phone key I really was hoping for a BT fob like the X where it wouldn't be susceptible to replay attacks like the S is (which is how folks are stealing them in Eastern Europe). So I understand the skepticism. I was just trying to point out that the S and X fobs had rough spots in the beginning just like the 3 has with Phone Key and that most of the issues were resolved over time.

In the interim, why don't folks that have issues with Phone key escalate for executive review their want of a normal FOB. Presume if enough folks do this maybe Tesla would in fact come out with a Model 3 fob.
I should have gathered that and no problems. Sorry I wrote the word so before sorry. We should FaceTime next time :)
I appreciate what you wrote. It is a good idea.
I park my car at a sales center here locally because they do not have a model 3 in the showroom. I have spoken to them about the issue and they have witnessed the issue. They say oh we will look into it but really what can they do. It is a swrvice center issue to help for a resolution or as you stated should go up the chain.

Reactions: diamond.g
...and on those 28 pages how many individuals actually are complaining and how many posts are the same few restating their position? We get it...there are some people that aren't going to like the phone key, but it is not by any stretch a majority, or even a lot, or even many. It's a few, same as a few individuals that don't like the center screen or rear seats or the wiper position or the auto pilot or the...fill in the gap.

Dan
The center screen is a preference. The phone key is an unreliable design. You see posts DAILY on this site and on tesla facebook forums about it, and there are only a few thousand cars on the road so far.

I think everyone who wants a key fob needs to contact Tesla and let it be heard. Us complaining here and submitting polls will go nowhere. Either contact Tesla or make a signed petition to make it happen. I don't think it would be that hard for them to implement considering the Model X fob is bluetooth based.

Reactions: tomas and diamond.g
For those that are paying nearly $60K for the M3 (if not more), a simple keyfob like the S&X would be better suited. The fact that the app takes a while sometimes to refresh and allow access to the car, and the keycard having to be pressed up against the exterior trim is quite annoying. I want to be able to walk up to the car hands-free and it open (not suggesting that they change the handles)...

I think everyone who wants a key fob needs to contact Tesla and let it be heard. Us complaining here and submitting polls will go nowhere. Either contact Tesla or make a signed petition to make it happen. I don't think it would be that hard for them to implement considering the Model X fob is bluetooth based.
I said in another thread, escalate to Executive Review, say you want a fob cause phone key doesn't work. Heck folks should be tweet-storming Musk with the wish of a Model 3 fob. Eventually he should see it and respond....

if anything it should show that over time Tesla corrects the fob issues that folks complained about.

What is amusing is in the early X threads for the fob a lot of folks once they realized the X uses BT wanted to be able to use their phone as a fob.
Again - using your phone as your key did not require eliminating the fob. Let the techies troubleshoot their new toys. Normal people want their 60k car to JUST WORK without any troubleshooting.

For those that are paying nearly $60K for the M3 (if not more), a simple keyfob like the S&X would be better suited. The fact that the app takes a while sometimes to refresh and allow access to the car, and the keycard having to be pressed up against the exterior trim is quite annoying. I want to be able to walk up to the car hands-free and it open (not suggesting that they change the handles)...
The app does not need to refresh. That is not a fact. I for one hate this $60k crap. Lived thru 5 years of same crap @ 100k for model s. You don’t like the features of the car and don’t think it is value for money? But something else. Go complain on their forum.

The app does not need to refresh. That is not a fact. I for one hate this $60k crap. Lived thru 5 years of same crap @ 100k for model s. You don’t like the features of the car and don’t think it is value for money? But something else. Go complain on their forum.
Hmm, not sure we live on the same planet (or if you even own a M3), but the app has to refresh/update itself quite a bit before the user can enter the vehicle. Before getting so uptight and snotty over a comment, check your own facts. Grow up, I can express my dismay on this forum. If you don't like it, stop viewing threads and go to your own site.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
Hmm, not sure we live on the same planet (or if you even own a M3), but the app has to refresh/update itself quite a bit before the user can enter the vehicle. Before getting so uptight and snotty over a comment, check your own facts. Grow up, I can express my dismay on this forum. If you don't like it, stop viewing threads and go to your own site.
I own a model 3. App does not need to refresh to unlock. Fact. Saying it does just feeds the FUD about this whole phone as key thing. Once phone app is paired with car, phone and car make Bluetooth connection when in proximity, and car is unlocked. There’s no need for app to connect to server or refresh. Some have pointed out that certain androids have dodgy Bluetooth... that’s a different thing.

I’ll stay on this forum, thx! BTW I’m all for a fob for those who want it. And no problem with those who lobby for additional features. I just don’t like the: “I should get _____ with a $60,000 car” stuff. Every car has differentiators, none has everything. People should buy the one they like the most, then accept their decision.

I own a model 3. App does not need to refresh to unlock. Fact. Saying it does just feeds the FUD about this whole phone as key thing. Once phone app is paired with car, phone and car make Bluetooth connection when in proximity, and car is unlocked. There’s no need for app to connect to server or refresh. Some have pointed out that certain androids have dodgy Bluetooth... that’s a different thing.

I’ll stay on this forum, thx! BTW I’m all for a fob for those who want it. And no problem with those who lobby for additional features. I just don’t like the: “I should get _____ with a $60,000 car” stuff. Every car has differentiators, none has everything. People should buy the one they like the most, then accept their decision.

Unfortunately, you're still wrong. I have even sent in videos when I've taken my car back to the SC and shown them how the car won't open or lags quite a bit (minutes). Since we have both Androids and Apple devices in our home, we've tried it with both. It's hit or miss at times when you walk up to the car with the app open. Just because something isn't happening to you, that doesn't mean it isn't happening. Funny enough, I've had more than one of these types of conversations with the reps at the store when something weird like this goes on (even though they say it doesn't happen).

Don't even get me started on the buzzing noise that keeps happening through the radio (apparently this doesn't happen either, but it's one I have on video still).

Reactions: ahagge
Maybe we are talking past each other. I don’t doubt you are having problems connecting. Just that the assignable cause is need to refresh app. You stated it as fact, when I believe that is conjecture. There is clearly something intermittent failing with your Bluetooth... possibly phone, possibly car, and possibly interference from some other device.

I'm honestly disappointed in some of y'all here. It is true that for some the phone key works perfectly. And for some it sucks. And for some its in between. Yet people are treating stories of failures and success like it is fake news or something. This is the problem we have in America today around race and such. Please accept that everyone has very different truths that may be very real for you

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
I'm honestly disappointed in some of y'all here. It is true that for some the phone key works perfectly. And for some it sucks. And for some its in between. Yet people are treating stories of failures and success like it is fake news or something. This is the problem we have in America today around race and such. Please accept that everyone has very different truths that may be very real for you
People have different opinions, feelings, and experiences. The truth is the truth. There’s only one. That’s another problem we have today, it’s becoming acceptable to say there are different truths, which is shorthand for I can say whatever I want and it’s my truth, and it’s as good as your truth.

I can say for sure with technology and software... one truth. Someone will debug this, and will discover exactly what causes it to not work in some circumstances.

You are correct that it is wrong to deny that it works well for some people, or to deny some have problems.

Wish we could get back to survey question, which is “will Tesla” not “should Tesla”.

Hmm, not sure we live on the same planet (or if you even own a M3), but the app has to refresh/update itself quite a bit before the user can enter the vehicle.

Unfortunately, you're still wrong. I have even sent in videos when I've taken my car back to the SC and shown them how the car won't open or lags quite a bit (minutes). Since we have both Androids and Apple devices in our home, we've tried it with both. It's hit or miss at times when you walk up to the car with the app open.

You can look at my posts and see that I've been critical of the phone key function and frustrated that it doesn't work 100% of the time.

That said, the app definitely does not need to refresh/update to activate the phone key as long as it's running the background. What you may be interpreting as refreshing/updating when you open the app is the app communicating with the Tesla server to establish a remote connection with the car. This process can take 30 seconds to 1 minute. This is independent of Bluetooth function, which is the way the phone key communicates with the car. My money is on something being wrong with the way Bluetooth is behaving. The next time it doesn't work, try toggling your phone's Bluetooth off-on. It should reset the connection and allow you to unlock your doors nearly instantly.

There could also be something about your specific phone that's keeping the Telsa app from running in the background. It is true that the app has to be constantly running in order to connect the phone as a key, but shouldn't have to be refreshed. On an Android device, you can check this from the app info screen under the battery usage selection to make sure the app is allowed to run in the background.

• Informative
Reactions: Qbenjamin
You can look at my posts and see that I've been critical of the phone key function and frustrated that it doesn't work 100% of the time.

That said, the app definitely does not need to refresh/update to activate the phone key as long as it's running the background. What you may be interpreting as refreshing/updating when you open the app is the app communicating with the Tesla server to establish a remote connection with the car. This process can take 30 seconds to 1 minute. This is independent of Bluetooth function, which is the way the phone key communicates with the car. My money is on something being wrong with the way Bluetooth is behaving. The next time it doesn't work, try toggling your phone's Bluetooth off-on. It should reset the connection and allow you to unlock your doors nearly instantly.

There could also be something about your specific phone that's keeping the Telsa app from running in the background. It is true that the app has to be constantly running in order to connect the phone as a key, but shouldn't have to be refreshed. On an Android device, you can check this from the app info screen under the battery usage selection to make sure the app is allowed to run in the background.
Got it thx. I just know that it becomes very annoying when you just want to get in the car and it simply won't open (even with the app being used)...