Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Will Tesla invite in Q4/2019 majority of FSD Computer upgraders to schedule retrofits?

Will Tesla invite in Q4/2019 majority of FSD Computer upgraders to schedule retrofits?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm one of the three who voted Yes. In my mind, of course Tesla will invite them to make the scheduling request by the end of the year. They might be choosing dates in Q4 of 2020, but I'm sure they'll at least be able to make the requests this year. That's a pretty low bar. :D

I admit it is a pretty low bar.

I think it is also pretty telling of how people feel about Tesla these days when most don’t think they’ll even meet that! :)

I hope they do! I would certainly book the retofit ASAP.

Last edited:

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-11_21-15-4.png
    upload_2019-10-11_21-15-4.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 68
Musk says upgrades in volume coming in "a few months":
Elon Musk on Twitter

Working with engineering team to figure out best way to do upgrade without crushing service team. Will start doing upgrades in volume in a few months, coincident with more FSD features being released.
Basically,
- Upgrades in such a way as to not put more pressure on already stretched service team
- Upgrade when need to because City NOA is ready to be released

Musk says upgrades in volume coming in "a few months":
Elon Musk on Twitter

Working with engineering team to figure out best way to do upgrade without crushing service team. Will start doing upgrades in volume in a few months, coincident with more FSD features being released.
Basically,
- Upgrades in such a way as to not put more pressure on already stretched service team
- Upgrade when need to because City NOA is ready to be released

Let’s hope ”few months” means volume retrofits start in December, 2019.

The problems I see are:

1. Tesla has promised early FSD purchases at the very least ”wide Early Access Program” access (they promised more but I give them massive benefit of the doubt here). For that to be possible or meaningful, we need to have FSD hardware before a public release of any firmware ”using” that hardware (meaning make use beyond of AP2/2.5).

2. It is widely expected Automatic city driving will use and need the FSD Computer. If so, Tesla is selling current cars with the promise that this feature will ship in 2019. Tesla says it is coming in 2019 in Design Studio (by now they must know if they can advertise such a thing or retract). To release a ”wide Early Access Program” to early FSD buyers before this would require immediate action.

Then again personally I tend to believe Tesla still considers conserving cash important (judging by their vastly changed stance on warranty fixes etc) and I don’t expect them to honor these promises.

But then again even if we ignore such PR talk, they can not just start the retrofits after they have released a feature making use of the new hardware — unless they totally want to screw us over.

Also it seems to me all the talk about how the FSD retrofits are just an easy 30 minutes from mobile service have become quiet. How come?

Last edited:
Reactions: am_dmd