Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor Defroster Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a hour-long drive earlier today. Temp 20F and a fine mist of freezing rain / low cloud. I had warmed the car up before setting off (cabin temp 68F), but about 10 minutes into the drive, with the defroster on its first setting (blue) the windscreen started to ice up, wipers were running intermittently, I had them on manual single swipe. I had to go to the max setting of red on the defroster which puts the cabin temp on HI to get the lower half of the windscreen to melt the ice on the outside. Even driving in this condition the top half of the windscreen remained frozen. I've been driving a long time and generally know how to keep the windscreen clear in winter. I have never had a car that performed so badly.

With the defroster on full I checked the airflow at the bottom of the windscreen and it seemed incredibly weak. Has anyone else experienced anything similar or do you think this needs a service appointment? IMG_5079.jpgIMG_5078-1.jpg

I do find that the settings on the defroster are limited. I have no interest in blowing HI hot air at my face when I just need the windshield defrosted :rolleyes:. While I cannot speak to the power of your fans, which if you think are INCREDIBLY weak, would probably warrant a service, perhaps next time you could try using some windshield fluid to break through very thin sheets of stubborn ice on your windshield? Works for me in a bind.

Reactions: mark95476
The only way I would drive in freezing rain is if a life depended on it. Freezing rain also has a ability to overwhelm many heat systems. Did you look at the windshields on other vehicles?
It wasn't a problem when I set out. Lots of elevation changes where I live so the weather changes a lot in just a few miles. It really wasn't that heavy, a very light misting.

Bunch of other cars on the road. No one else seemed to have the same issue that I did.

I do find that the settings on the defroster are limited. I have no interest in blowing HI hot air at my face when I just need the windshield defrosted :rolleyes:. While I cannot speak to the power of your fans, which if you think are INCREDIBLY weak, would probably warrant a service, perhaps next time you could try using some windshield fluid to break through very thin sheets of stubborn ice on your windshield? Works for me in a bind.
Agree the options are limited. If everything was directed up at the windscreen and not into the rest of the cabin it would be better.

I do not have my MY LR yet (one week to go) but on my current vehicle if the recirculation button is on it becomes very difficult for the HVAC to clear the windshield. If you are recycling the air inside the car it becomes extremely moist from our exhaled breath. Make sure the recirculation is off so you are bringing in outside (dry) air to the HVAC system.

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476