Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor experience with getting service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Tesla model Y last July 2021 and took delivery in December 2021. My car is so fun, interesting and constantly changing (a programmer's dream car). I love my car. I hand wash and baby it.

It had a small problem which bothered my husband more than me. The driver's side door did not close easily. There were times I thought I closed it when it was not fully closed. I made an appointment to bring it for service. Tesla changed the appointment to be a mobile mechanic. The mechanic came to my house on 8/1 around noon. I spent the morning hand washing and detailing my car, not for the mechanic but because I like to do it. When he was done, he made the problem worse, the door was now out of alignment with the car body. He did not seem to feel this was a problem.

As I was showing this to him, he was standing next to the back quarter panel with a tool in his hand and I noticed a dent in the car (right where the tool lined up). He said he did not do it. I would not question this except for two things, I just polished every inch of the car that morning and he is hearing impaired. He was adjusting his hearing aids, so maybe he did not realize he did it.

Lots of miscommunication went back and forth in the Tesla portal, but I finally got it for service on 8/5 and the door is now in alignment and closes properly. But in the next couple of days, the glass roof cracked right down the middle, starting in the back of the car. Here is what I find odd:
  • The mobile mechanic thought he completed the job successfully, with the door being out of alignment. I had to point out this defect.
  • The mobile mechanic put a small dent in the car.
  • The text messages in the portal were confusing, at one point they set us up for a collision appointment then a windshield replacement.
  • I was told that I would be notified when the car service was complete. No updates were send unless I inquired.
  • I had to pay $1650 for the roof replacement. The was no sign of something damaging the roof (not sure how this could even be possible). It seems likely to be caused by the mechanics torquing on the door.
Is this the normal experience with Tesla service?

0C004120-FF59-4B57-BA6E-C4EE73DE74F1.jpeg

Attachments

• F2B88A68-D197-4C7A-9858-37FADC829AFA.jpeg
    F2B88A68-D197-4C7A-9858-37FADC829AFA.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 138
  • C5E35AC8-A516-4741-829C-CCF9ED5C2FB6.jpeg
    C5E35AC8-A516-4741-829C-CCF9ED5C2FB6.jpeg
    656.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 99BBD374-9CA5-4917-9E4D-C55DD0FF4A3D.jpeg
    99BBD374-9CA5-4917-9E4D-C55DD0FF4A3D.jpeg
    650.4 KB · Views: 75
  • F0F74CCE-1FD7-41E5-BA36-9B3A9C6BCC92.jpeg
    F0F74CCE-1FD7-41E5-BA36-9B3A9C6BCC92.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 84
  • C3225610-C38C-4755-AB70-9CDCC269A564.jpeg
    C3225610-C38C-4755-AB70-9CDCC269A564.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 79
  • D2A4BFB5-78F1-44BD-960B-8A091A521F34.jpeg
    D2A4BFB5-78F1-44BD-960B-8A091A521F34.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 78
  • C755DF4B-BB82-46B4-8531-D1EC28D7B870.jpeg
    C755DF4B-BB82-46B4-8531-D1EC28D7B870.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 82
I would say in my experience from everything tesla the service department seems to be the weak link

I personally had 1 service from a curbrashed wheel upon delivery last year of my model y by the dumbass delivery driver taking it off the flatbed

Tesla service replaced the wheel no issues

But from what i have gathered thru out my research tesla service is usually backed up or borderline incompetent with semi “simple” tasks

Lots of stories of people actually saying live with something because tesla service might make it worse

Take it for what is worth

Reactions: aerodyne
That is a bad experience for sure. They should fix the dent.

I’m not sure how fixing the door could crack the roof, even applying torque. I can imagine enough torque on the door to then twist the frame to crack the roof.

My experience with service is limited to my ordering homelink and them installing. It was the best service experience I’ve ever had with a car. All through the app. All prompt replies. Appointment was within 2 days of my requesting service. The tech was on time, extremely communicative, installed it quickly, was extremely friendly and competent. I can’t imagine ever having to call to schedule an appointment again.

The mobile mechanic who visited you sounds awful. Especially if he thought the door was fine. That is the most door gap I have ever seen. Perhaps he was anti-EV and thought he’d sabotage the tesla experience by being a crappy mobile mechanic 🤷‍♂️ . The mobile mechanic who visited me to fix some interior trim issues caused by body shop tesla used was fantastic. The body shop adjusted 3 doors and the trunk liftgate to correct gaps/alignments and corrected them all.
Very unfortunate about the glass roof not being covered by tesla. It is suspicious that it cracked after mobile mechanic but I don’t know enough about how door alignments work to judge if mobile mechanic door alignment tweaks could have caused it. Overall This is not normal Tesla service from my three Service experiences. Tesla was very communicative via app. My car was in the shop for a month. Initially they were sending messages daily initially and then a few times a week. More communication than most mechanic shops in my experience. My wife’s Toyota was in the mechanic’s lot for two months while waiting for a catalytic converter to arrive. Toyota mechanic never called us with updates. Admittedly, there were none since the part had not arrived and Toyota couldn’t offer an eta either. Mechanic did call us two months later when he acquired the part since the car would be ready the next day. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Zalick