Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor paint quality. Paint stains with bird poop almost immediately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have the black obs color model 3.

I have gotten it professionally waxed and I have the front clear bra.

I noticed the other day I got a bird poop on the side of my door. It was probably there for only a few hours with about 75 degree weather now a days. I got home and wiped it off with a detail spray. I noticed from the side that it stained the paint.

And yes, it was probably only a few hours from when I got the poop dropped on my car. Such poor paint quality.

My detailer even told me that the paint on the Tesla Model 3 is the poorest he's seen with dirt between the paint and clear coat.

Guess they must have painted these under the tent on a windy day...lol

I noticed the other day I got a bird poop on the side of my door. It was probably there for only a few hours with about 75 degree weather now a days. I got home and wiped it off with a detail spray. I noticed from the side that it stained the paint.

And yes, it was probably only a few hours from when I got the poop dropped on my car. Such poor paint quality.

My detailer even told me that the paint on the Tesla Model 3 is the poorest he's seen with dirt between the paint and clear coat.

Even with great paint & clear coat, bird poop can quickly burn the paint. How long ago was your last wax job? And this is why many folks on many makes/marques of vehicles use a SiC polymeric aftermarket coating (like cQuartz or OptiCoat Pro) to protect from just this kind of damage.

I had the exact same problem on my 2008 BMW 550i. The car was Carbon Black, which is pretty close to the Obsidian Black (looks deep blue or purple under some lights). A bird pooped on the roof, and was there for about two hours. When I cleaned it off, the paint was stained.

Wonder if the paint color is somehow magnifying the effect of the chemicals in the poop?

Keith

Believe it or not there is bird poop that is less acidic and won’t stain even if left on for a long time. Then there is the bird poop you got hit with. High uric acid content. Happened to me on my Explorer. Cleaned it off the same day but it had etched the paint permanently. A good detailer may be able to polish it out for you. This is why I had mine ceramic coated.

Reactions: Gavyne
Part of the issue with Tesla paint is a byproduct of manufacturing in California. Environmental laws limit options when it comes to solvents that can be used in automotive paint. That is part of why there is a grand total of ONE automotive assembly plant in California, reopened after other brands abandoned it.

Uric acid from bird droppings will eat through a full professional grade coating of ceramic. Ceramic coating simply provides you with a bit more time to wipe off the bird droppings. So make sure you don't coat your car with ceramic then think it's ok to just let the bird droppings sit. The uric acid from bird dropping is very corrosive, make sure to always wipe them off right away. And wipe carefully, since some bird droppings also include small rocks.

btw frank posted this exact thread a few months ago. Not really sure what he expects to hear different this time.

Reactions: isaax and sbtz
Melted XPEL by a bird poop
SPA030558.jpg

Uric acid from bird droppings will eat through a full professional grade coating of ceramic. Ceramic coating simply provides you with a bit more time to wipe off the bird droppings. So make sure you don't coat your car with ceramic then think it's ok to just let the bird droppings sit. The uric acid from bird dropping is very corrosive, make sure to always wipe them off right away. And wipe carefully, since some bird droppings also include small rocks.

btw frank posted this exact thread a few months ago. Not really sure what he expects to hear different this time.

I have left bird poop on my car for weeks on end in 100 degree days and it has never ate through the coating. Stained it yes but after a couple of days the stain goes away. It has never fully ate through the coating.