TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Porsche 911 hybrid put on hold

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by 30seconds, Oct 6, 2016.

1. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

Porsche/ Audi / VW the undisputed leader of electric vehicle press releases has put another recently announced program on hold. Now it seems that the Jan announcement of a 911 hybrid was premature and development never really started

Porsche 911 Hybrid on hold - motoring.com.au

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. ElectricTundra

I'd guess they're looking in to the future and see no future nor benefit to hybrid and are leaning towards pure BEV. It'll be interesting to see how long the ICE version of the 911 lasts once a better performing and very likely much better handling BEV is available. A BEV 911 will likely be a bit range limited but that shouldn't be a problem for most 911 owners.

• Helpful x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

IF Porsche ever makes an EV -- I will believe it when it goes into production -- I suspect Porsche will figure out ways to hobble it so that it is not superior to the 911 in every department: handling, acceleration, top speed, whatever. Yes any EV Porsche eventually makes will not be able to go as many miles on a charge as a 911 ICE can go on a tank of gas, that is simply a fact because of the physics of batteries now and for at least a decade to come, I think. But in every other measure besides range a Porsche EV sports car should be clearly superior to any 911 version. Porsche will not want to allow that, not yet.

4. ElectricTundra

Porsche will not have a choice. They can obsolete themselves or let others do it to them. Introducing a Porsche BEV that has less performance and handling than a 4 door family sedan hatchback will cause significant image problems for them.

5. HookBill

HookBill Member

I'm guessing they were having trouble meshing a battery with a diesel range extender. :confused:

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Porsche already has major image problems and it doesn't seem to bother them very much: the Model S P100DL is the quickest (current) production car in the world and it seats 5 adults and weighs nearly 5,000 lbs. Yet Porsche can't beat it or even match it with much lighter 2-seat and 2+2 sports cars that cost more. And Porsche has a long racing history, while Tesla has no racing history at all. That is simply embarrassing for Porsche (Full disclosure: I have owned 5 Porsches in my life. I no longer own any)