Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portrait vs Landscape Center Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the things I theory I liked about the S (I've never been in one) was the rear view camera on half of the screen on at all times. The horizontal screen would make that more problematic.

As for the passengers argument...screw them! It's my car, not theirs! :p

Reactions: dgpcolorado
In my opinion heated arguments over the 3 interior is almost irrelevant. Go look at the first iterations of the MS and MX dashes on their first reveals. If Tesla is a creature of habit, the dash of the M3 is going to look entirely different come prod.

Actually, the general concept of the Model S and Model X dashboard design has not changed at all. You get the screen in front of driver and a 17" vertical screen in the console. The molding of dash or the vertical position of the screen have changed - but the idea is the same.

You can see from the design sketch of Model 3 that this is exactly how the designer envisioned the dash would look like. So you may see some changes like the height and position of the screen, the shape and color of the dash, but the general idea of single centre landscape screen with flat dash would not change.

One of the things I theory I liked about the S (I've never been in one) was the rear view camera on half of the screen on at all times. The horizontal screen would make that more problematic.

As for the passengers argument...screw them! It's my car, not theirs! :p
In test driving the MS, when the rear camera was left on screen I found it very distracting. While nice to look behind once in a while, it's not necessary. That being said, landscape can still show it, maybe in a floating screen, not the whole top.

I just hope the normal driving screen shows range and basic info that used to be behind the wheel.

I have always thought the Portrait screen on the S and X look a little "off". I don't know what it is but I feel like it was a bit big, granted I am not an S or X owner so I haven't had time to get used to it. From what I have seen, The Model 3 screen looks better to me but I will have to wait until I see it in person to decide how I truly feel about it.

Now with the landscape orientation the Tesla reps giving test drives were heard saying the driver would have a peripheral view of the center screen (for speed) while also giving the passenger better access to the screen. So instead of 2 center stacked landscaped screens we will have 2 portrait screens. This seems like it would make it difficult for the driver to access the far right virtual display. The portrait screen with 2 center stack virtual displays was one of the best design elements of the Model S. I think it is a huge mistake to depart from this layout and unnescessary R&D to do so. Seems like they are overthinking things. Thoughts anyone?

Thumbs up for landscape screen from me.

If the single screen is to replace the instrument panel, the landscape position put the left edge of the screen much closer to the driver and driver line of vision. I have been driving today and imagine where the centre screen would be and where the speedometer widget would be located. Actually not too bad at all - my eyes move less from the road than the instrument panel.

I think people should give it a chance before writing it off.

from my initial impression, yes, i agree the landscape screen looks kind of in a very awkward position and the screen really sticks out since it doesn't appear to mount into a dash like what we've seen in model S or X (judging from looking in from the outside). It kind of remind me of a desktop computer rather in this landscape orientation where in a portrait mode I think of an iPad (why not just give us an iPad. love the iOS)). The lack of dashboard doesn't help either, but I would rather have heads-up display (HUD) instead of a tradition speedometer. Overall, I think it's very forward thinking and very minimalist. The more you look at it the more getting used to. Looking from the inside view, I start to like it better everyday. It's very unique for the model 3.

Tesla-Model-3-interior-1.jpg

Last edited:
The dash design is a hot topic for the Model 3. The lack of instrument cluster/screen is being discussed in other threads and we will see how that plays out. But I wanted to know what everyone thought about Tesla making the center screen landscape as opposed to portrait in the Model 3? This was a big disappointment to me as I thought the Model S portrait orientation was brilliant as it allowed the screen to behave as 2 dual virtual screen/monitors stacked on top of each other. Even other car manufacturers are copying this design on their high tech models (Volvo, Toyota).

Now with the landscape orientation the Tesla reps giving test drives were heard saying the driver would have a peripheral view of the center screen (for speed) while also giving the passenger better access to the screen. So instead of 2 center stacked landscaped screens we will have 2 portrait screens. This seems like it would make it difficult for the driver to access the far right virtual display. The portrait screen with 2 center stack virtual displays was one of the best design elements of the Model S. I think it is a huge mistake to depart from this layout and unnescessary R&D to do so. Seems like they are overthinking things. Thoughts anyone?
I had heard from a very well informed friend that the screen doesn’t tilt toward the driver (as the dash-integrated screens in every other car do) because the original and main purpose of the M3 was mainly to be a self driving taxi. Access to the screen is therefore equally “convenient” for front seat “passengers,” since no one was supposed to be the driver except the car’s cameras and computer. Unfortunately, the roll out of the model far preceeds the viability of auto pilot, and we’re stuck with the most unergonomic (and I would say class action lawsuit worthy dangerous, in some cases) control panel in the industry.

• Funny
Reactions: PoitNarf
My first thought -- is Tesla crazy?

But suppose the Model 3 has a heads-up display (HUD) on the windshield, as it will probably will to meet Department of Transportation requirements. And suppose the Model 3 has more robust autopilot capability.

If the Model 3 can effectively drive itself, you'll probably want some entertainment. A 15" widescreen center console display is the perfect device for entertainment, especially if you can get Netflix or TV channels over LTE. I can see Tesla offering an add-on entertainment package for $2000-3000 or more.
If it needed an HUD to pass DOT then it would ALREADY have an HUD.

Since this horse is back from the dead, I have to admit how functional the layout was when I drove my brother in-laws model 3. If there really were significant cost savings in this design I can understand the rationale.