Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jersey City, NJ - Mall Drive West

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JSergeant,

The pics are great! Did I see correctly that the setup of 6 charging spots are 3 cars on lifts above 3 more? It almost looked like you could be charging while up in the air? (once of the pics showed a long cable on the charger). Or is this the best anti ICE SuperCharger yet??? If so, it might be worth the $7 to just stop by to see my car charging in the air!
-Peter

I stopped by the 160 1st Street Supercharger location this afternoon. There are six Urban Superchargers there in a private lot connected to the Oakman building. Parking is $7 for the first hour, $9 for two hours. The parking is done by an attendant. I charged for ten minutes or so so that I can count it in the Superchargers Visited competition. I was only getting about 47kW of charge (in an S90D at about 60% SOC when I arrived.)

I also stopped by the Newport Center Mall to check out the Superchargers there. They are still wrapped in plastic bags.

There are photos at the link below (3 of the Newport Mall, the rest of the Oakman parking lot Superchargers.)

Jersey City SpC's - Google Drive

There are a lot of Level 2 chargers in front of the Oakman building. I forgot to take pictures of those.

• Informative
Reactions: electra2016
I also stopped in yesterday to check out the chargers, but I only saw three (the same three photographed by JSergeant) and noticed that each one has a single hose, so now I am wondering if indeed it is six chargers, or what the deal may be. The pictures posted by JSergeant do a good job of documenting the front area of the lot: cramped, with cars put in lifts to maximize the tiny space. The Level 2 chargers out on the street (10 dual chargers, so 20 hoses in total) are operated using a credit card. The cost is $0.39 per kWh during non-peak hours, plus $0.45 for parking fee (so, $0.84 total per kWh during non peak hours) and charging is free during peak hours, with a $2.20 charge per hour for parking, for a total of $2.20 during peak hours, which are 0800 - 2000.

Confirmed by the manager. The mall is still on. We got 2 locations few blocks away...
I also stopped in yesterday to check out the chargers, but I only saw three (the same three photographed by JSergeant) and noticed that each one has a single hose, so now I am wondering if indeed it is six chargers, or what the deal may be. The pictures posted by JSergeant do a good job of documenting the front area of the lot: cramped, with cars put in lifts to maximize the tiny space. The Level 2 chargers out on the street (10 dual chargers, so 20 hoses in total) are operated using a credit card. The cost is $0.39 per kWh during non-peak hours, plus $0.45 for parking fee (so, $0.84 total per kWh during non peak hours) and charging is free during peak hours, with a $2.20 charge per hour for parking, for a total of $2.20 during peak hours, which are 0800 - 2000.
How many miles per hour? I am curious as it could be a nice alternative to the Supercharger in that area. I thought I needed a specific card..I am happily surprised I can pay with a regular credit card. Thank you so much for the info.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Confirmed by the manager. The mall is still on. We got 2 locations few blocks away...

How many miles per hour? I am curious as it could be a nice alternative to the Supercharger in that area. I thought I needed a specific card..I am happily surprised I can pay with a regular credit card. Thank you so much for the info.

Wow so we're going from no superchargers in the area to two different locations?? Lucky us. Did mall manager give any hint as to what's taking so long, besides, "We're waiting on PSE&G."

Wow so we're going from no superchargers in the area to two different locations?? Lucky us. Did mall manager give any hint as to what's taking so long, besides, "We're waiting on PSE&G."
No, but at least confirms the project is still on. The new opened location will relief the suffering, so time is no longer as critical as it used to be at least for me..I am very very happy.

No, but at least confirms the project is still on. The new opened location will relief the suffering, so time is no longer as critical as it used to be at least for me..I am very very happy.

Same here! I'm coming next week and I always have range anxiety in that area since I stay in an apartment building and there's no way to charge so this will provide much relief. Thanks for all the updates to you and everyone else here!

Reactions: electra2016

Interesting that the hold-up for the mall location is being pinned on PSE&G especially because they’ve cooperated with the other location and have powered it up.

Interesting that the hold-up for the mall location is being pinned on PSE&G especially because they’ve cooperated with the other location and have powered it up.

This observation is based on *limited* information. The Newport build out started a few months ago (September 2017?) while the Tesla chargers at The Oakman parking lot have been "in progress" for several years. The building opened up 1.5 years ago, and the Tesla charger has been in that lot since around then. Definitely at least a year. It is JUST NOW getting turned on and put into use.

This observation is based on *limited* information. The Newport build out started a few months ago (September 2017?) while the Tesla chargers at The Oakman parking lot have been "in progress" for several years. The building opened up 1.5 years ago, and the Tesla charger has been in that lot since around then. Definitely at least a year. It is JUST NOW getting turned on and put into use.
The style of supercharger that is in the Oakman lot is the new Urban type, which was just announced in Sept 2017.

Interesting... They have been teasing a Tesla charger at that lot since they opened. And, even more interesting, I do remember seeing something else at that spot before this particular charger. I do wonder if perhaps they had installed a different one earlier, and then switched charger models. In any case, the developer behind The Oakman (and its sister property next door) is definitely involved with the GreenSpot initiative and the zipcar-style Maven service. In other words, they have been an avid proponent of EV and chargers for some time now. They actively lobbied the city to get those street spots set aside for EV. It is part of the reason why I finally ordered my Model X: the ease of ownership is now infinitely improved by having so many chargers RIGHT OUTSIDE my apartment building.

Good to know. Let’s hope Newport doesn’t take that long!! ;)

Hello, I am eagerly awaiting to get my Model 3, which who knows if it will be the end of this year or will be 2019. I understand that the 3 will not have free charging like the other Tesla Models. So, do these new SC have a way to bill me? So on top of the Parking Fee, I have to pay for charging. I'm trying to see if it makes sense to get a 3 in this area if its going to cost me the same or even more then having a gas powered car.

Hello, I am eagerly awaiting to get my Model 3, which who knows if it will be the end of this year or will be 2019. I understand that the 3 will not have free charging like the other Tesla Models. So, do these new SC have a way to bill me? So on top of the Parking Fee, I have to pay for charging. I'm trying to see if it makes sense to get a 3 in this area if its going to cost me the same or even more then having a gas powered car.
You will be billed directly via a credit card on your Tesla account. The cost of electricity is 'at cost'. In New Jersey this is unfortunately billed by the minute:

$0.20 per minute above 60 kW
$0.10 per minute at or below 60 kW

Supercharging

Electricity costs about one third of the cost of gas for the same mileage.

Last edited:
I'm paying around $.10 per KWH with my time of day meter, only charging at night on a 40amp circuit. So those rates are pretty good for NJ I would think.

Green Darren, I have JCP&L at both my primary and beach house. I looked over their rates for peak and off peak and found no compelling reason to go to TOU metering. I pay approx. 14 cents/KwH year round. To benefit by only .04 cents (down to .10c) to use overnight Tesla charging, I'd be hammered in summer when AC usage is the highest, I'd pay .22c/KwH peak in summer I haven't found TOU to be worth the change.

You will be billed directly via a credit card on your Tesla account. The cost of electricity is 'at cost'. In New Jersey this is unfortunately billed by the minute:

$0.20 per minute above 60 kW
$0.10 per minute at or below 60 kW

Supercharging

Electricity costs about one third of the cost of gas for the same mileage.

The electricity costs may be one third, but if a person is forced to pay for parking, then those savings evaporate. That's always going to be an issue in this region, where city space is always at a premium and seldom (if ever) free. I'm definitely excited about the Newport chargers, as the parking fee is very low for up to 4 hours. I hope Tesla can find a way to place more chargers in our area without requiring the end user to pay hefty parking fees.

Reactions: GreenMachina
Can’t believe it. A super charger just popped up 4 mins from my house. That’s epic! Paying is a pain, but not as painful as no super charger! It’s also now showing up on the map in the car. Going to try it out later today.

Attachments

• 389AB50C-1042-42D7-9418-91251A138D7A.jpeg
    389AB50C-1042-42D7-9418-91251A138D7A.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 80