Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible new Tesla owner here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’ve made a deal to purchase a 2017 Model X 100d and to say I’m excited is an understatement. Wanting a Tesla for years and I’m so close. I hate to beat a topic to death but after all my googling and searching, I can’t find a conclusion. This model I’m looking to purchase shows it has the Enhanced Autopilot but not FSD 3.0. I believe. So I’m assuming, based on what I’ve read, I’ll have to pay between $2500 and $4000 to upgrade to FSD? That sound correct?

thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I’ve made a deal to purchase a 2017 Model X 100d and to say I’m excited is an understatement. Wanting a Tesla for years and I’m so close. I hate to beat a topic to death but after all my googling and searching, I can’t find a conclusion. This model I’m looking to purchase shows it has the Enhanced Autopilot but not FSD 3.0. I believe. So I’m assuming, based on what I’ve read, I’ll have to pay between $2500 and $4000 to upgrade to FSD? That sound correct?

thanks in advance.
keep in mind that you only get a gimmick feature of "stops at traffic lights" for that amount today.

IMO plan to get the MCU2 upgrade right away (~$1.5k to $2k depending if you need the radio or not). Also there are reports of HW3 being frequently installed when performing the mcu2 upgrade even if you don't pay for FSD software part.

Keep in mind you'll need mcu2 either way because reportedly with hw3 mcu1 is intolerably slow nowadays.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hank42 and X007X
keep in mind that you only get a gimmick feature of "stops at traffic lights" for that amount today.

IMO plan to get the MCU2 upgrade right away (~$1.5k to $2k depending if you need the radio or not). Also there are reports of HW3 being frequently installed when performing the mcu2 upgrade even if you don't pay for FSD software part.

Keep in mind you'll need mcu2 either way because reportedly with hw3 mcu1 is intolerably slow nowadays.

wow. Such a quick reply. Thank you! To make sure I’m reading right. So I’d pay $1.5k-$2k for the gimmick features now and the I’d have to go back and get the mcu2 and hw3 for an additional cost? Or would that be included in the $1.5-2k?

wow. Such a quick reply. Thank you! To make sure I’m reading right. So I’d pay $1.5k-$2k for the gimmick features now and the I’d have to go back and get the mcu2 and hw3 for an additional cost? Or would that be included in the $1.5-2k?
there are two things you can pay for:

Yo u can pay for "FSD" which is the Tesla sort-of-promise of AV (but not really a firm promise). Currently it only includes ability to stop for traffic lights and eventually more features of unknown usefullness. (the traffic light stopping is sort of gimmicky in my opinion). But it also includes upgrade to "hw3" which is a different autopilot computer. I don't know how much it'll cost for this all but I think it's been $4k for owners of EAP package but you want to doublecheck the upgrades tab in the app. If the 2017 X was made before August - then you'll also get ability to have "dashcam".

The other thing is MCU2 which is upgraded infotainment system. It will bring you games aot hther such stuff, but most of all - much more snappier UIs so I highly recommend getting it. Current price is $1.5k + labor, but you need to add $500 in case you want to have FM radio or XM radio (assuming your car is equipped with XM right now, if not then XM will not appear). This is reported to often be included with autopilot computer upgrade to hw3.0 even if you did not pay for FSD (but cannot be guaranteed).

Last edited:

Yo u can pay for "FSD" which is the Tesla sort-of-promise of AV (but not really a firm promise). Currently it only includes ability to stop for traffic lights and eventually more features of unknown usefullness. (the traffic light stopping is sort of gimmicky in my opinion). But it also includes upgrade to "hw3" which is a different autopilot computer. I don't know how much it'll cost for this all but I think it's been $4k for owners of EAP package but you want to doublecheck the upgrades tab in the app. If the 2017 X was made before August - then you'll also get ability to have "dashcam".

The other thing is MCU2 which is upgraded infotainment package. It will bring you games aot hther such stuff, but most of all - much more snappier UIs so I highly recommend getting it. Current price is $1.5k + labor, but you need to add $500 in case you want to have FM radio or XM radio (assuming your car is equipped with XM right now, if not then XM will not appear). This is reported to often be included with autopilot computer upgrade to hw3.0 even if you did not pay for FSD (but cannot be guaranteed).

unbelievable information and I can’t thank you enough for it.

The other thing is MCU2 which is upgraded infotainment package. It will bring you games aot hther such stuff, but most of all - much more snappier UIs so I highly recommend getting it. Current price is $1.5k + labor, but you need to add $500 in case you want to have FM radio or XM radio (assuming your car is equipped with XM right now, if not then XM will not appear). This is reported to often be included with autopilot computer upgrade to hw3.0 even if you did not pay for FSD (but cannot be guaranteed).

I’m assuming I can use the VIN to find out when the car was made? Do you have a website you recommend looking up if it’s got the dashcam or is that something I’ll need to see on the car?

I’m assuming I can use the VIN to find out when the car was made? Do you have a website you recommend looking up if it’s got the dashcam or is that something I’ll need to see on the car?
VIn is not a definitive measure of production date. you can plug the vin into sites like ev-cpo to see if the car was seen before by the scrappers and then you'll know for sure what options the car has. https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/?lookup

Reactions: EV-CPO
(speaking form experience)
DO NOT GET MCU2 until you are sure you want the autopilot features!!

It will ruin your backup camera visibility at night and mess up your sound system.

BUT, *DO* GET MCU2 if you buy the car and haven't driven it yet to realize what you'll be giving up with the 'upgrade'. It'll be just like buying a *new* Tesla at that point :)

Regardless, congratulations - the *real* fun and enjoyment is form driving such an awesome vehicle - bells and whistles aside - you''ll have that "Tesla grin" for quite some time.

It will ruin your backup camera visibility at night and mess up your sound system.
personally I did not notice any degradation in sound in my cars (not that I am audiophile or anything) ouside of the sound becoming somewhat quieter but it's not like I listen to audio at full volume so it hardly matters that I now need to dial the volume to 3 or at times as high as 5 instead of 2 (or rarely 3).

The darkness of the rear view cam at night on MCU2 is real and I hope Tesla will address it eventually, but I don't find it to be a showstopper. Considering what you get in exchange I consider the mcu2 pros to way outweigh the darkness of the backup cam at night which is about the only downside I can think of (outside of lack of tuner that you can get for extra $500 anyway)

Reactions: Hank42
it has the Enhanced Autopilot but not FSD 3.0.
I think Enhanced Autopilot is the sweet spot of having all the truly useful autopilot features. It used to be that the only downside is that it would still have an older autopilot computer (HW2 or HW2.5). Now, as mentioned above, HW3 has been getting installed if you pay for the MCU2 upgrade, which is a different computer controlling the display and much of the user interface. Definitely get the MCU2 update. I’m more meh on the value of FSD, which I think may be more than $4k now on top of EAP.

I think Enhanced Autopilot is the sweet spot of having all the truly useful autopilot features. It used to be that the only downside is that it would still have an older autopilot computer (HW2 or HW2.5). Now, as mentioned above, HW3 has been getting installed if you pay for the MCU2 upgrade, which is a different computer controlling the display and much of the user interface. Definitely get the MCU2 update. I’m more meh on the value of FSD, which I think may be more than $4k now on top of EAP.

thank you. Thank you. I just want to make sure that Ill have the right base options available that when more of the real FSD upgrades are released the model I’m looking to buy will need more than I anticipated. I’m basically between a 2017 X 90D that has already been upgraded with everything for $60k or a 2017 X 100D for $64k that will need all the upgrades.

I’m basically between a 2017 X 90D that has already been upgraded with everything for $60k or a 2017 X 100D for $64k that will need all the upgrades.
IMO, get the 100-pack if you plan to keep the car for any length of time. The battery is much better, 90 pack was a "bad" chemistry prone to increased degradation also Tesla lied a bit about the specs ( Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable) ) so the pack was under 90kWh. 100 pack started its life as 102kWh most likely (but there's 4-5kWh "safety" 100% unusable buffer in both cases) so you will get a much higher range boost from 100-pack than the nominal number implies. This is of course if you care about range at all. There was also widely reported degraded charge speeds on 90-packs, but that seems to have been lifted with later updates so might be not a factor anymore.

Also if you answer that you don't drive much - expect that to change. I doubled my annual mileage after getting a Tesla - because I enjoy driving it this much, replaced a bunch of shorter air travel with driving in particular (in pre-covid times so again likely not a factor nowadays but who knows).

Reactions: henderrj
Many 90D battery packs have had a lot higher rate of degradation than the 100D. How about other features of the 2 cars? There were a lot of different options in 2017 so 2 different 2017’s could be quite different.

Other than the autopilot hw/sw, the 90d has:
22 Inch Onyx Wheels
- Autopilot HW:3.0 (FULL SELF DRIVE)
- Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package
- Adaptive Suspension
- Tow Package
he said there’s a “ton” of options but being a newbie here I don’t know 100% what that means. I’m buying out of state.

the 100d has these options:

-22" Onyx Black Wheels
-Cream Premium
-Figured Ash Wood D←cor
-Front Console
-Light Headliner
-High Amperage Charger
-Enhanced Autopilot
-Premium Upgrades Package
-Smart Air Suspension

[
IMO, get the 100-pack if you plan to keep the car for any length of time. The battery is much better, 90 pack was a "bad" chemistry prone to increased degradation also Tesla lied a bit about the specs ( Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable) ) so the pack was under 90kWh. 100 pack started its life as 102kWh most likely (but there's 4-5kWh "safety" 100% unusable buffer in both cases) so you will get a much higher range boost from 100-pack than the nominal number implies. This is of course if you care about range at all. There was also widely reported degraded charge speeds on 90-packs, but that seems to have been lifted with later updates so might be not a factor anymore.

Also if you answer that you don't drive much - expect that to change. I doubled my annual mileage after getting a Tesla - because I enjoy driving it this much, replaced a bunch of shorter air travel with driving in particular (in pre-covid times so again likely not a factor nowadays but who knows).

im definitely leaning heavier to the 100D. I’m gonna want to drive and drive. When things get back to normal I’ll be headed back into the office and my commute will go up another 30 miles each way from where I used to live. The range will be put to use. Good to know about the battery degradation as well.

Other than the autopilot hw/sw, the 90d has:
22 Inch Onyx Wheels
- Autopilot HW:3.0 (FULL SELF DRIVE)
- Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package
- Adaptive Suspension
- Tow Package
he said there’s a “ton” of options but being a newbie here I don’t know 100% what that means. I’m buying out of state.

the 100d has these options:

-22" Onyx Black Wheels
-Cream Premium
-Figured Ash Wood D←cor
-Front Console
-Light Headliner
-High Amperage Charger
-Enhanced Autopilot
-Premium Upgrades Package
-Smart Air Suspension
FYI all model X cars have adaptive suspension. premium upgrades package includes high fidelity sound (since a certain date anyway).
tow package costs very little on ebay. High amperage charger you can't retrofit and I miss it (had on previous car but not now) if you have capacity at home for faster charging.

22" wheels means increased consumption so unless you are the "looks are everything" person - you should plan on getting 20" wheels anyway but if not - again that 100kWh battery is going to matter even more (I assume you already know that the estimated range you see is a super optimistic value you'd be hard pressed to get in real life and you should plan to get at least 20% less range if you ever drive over 70mph and even less if you have winters, rains and so on)
cream interior means light headliner - something not made anymore and I like it more (but obviously it's individual preference).

I don't see mcu2 listed in in the 90D, so if it's not there, the infotainment is even slower as the result making mcu2 retrofit a much more urgent deal.

Early model X cars (certainly the 90D, not so clear about the 2017 one) had a big ghosting problem with the windshield so that's another thing to ask about.

It would help if you ask for a copy of the monronney sticker for both cars to clear some of the options btw. 100D might have the tow package too - it was standard with all cars for some time.

I owe you a beer or
FYI all model X cars have adaptive suspension. premium upgrades package includes high fidelity sound (since a certain date anyway).
tow package costs very little on ebay. High amperage charger you can't retrofit and I miss it (had on previous car but not now) if you have capacity at home for faster charging.

22" wheels means increased consumption so unless you are the "looks are everything" person - you should plan on getting 20" wheels anyway but if not - again that 100kWh battery is going to matter even more (I assume you already know that the estimated range you see is a super optimistic value you'd be hard pressed to get in real life and you should plan to get at least 20% less range if you ever drive over 70mph and even less if you have winters, rains and so on)
cream interior means light headliner - something not made anymore and I like it more (but obviously it's individual preference).

I don't see mcu2 listed in in the 90D, so if it's not there, the infotainment is even slower as the result making mcu2 retrofit a much more urgent deal.

Early model X cars (certainly the 90D, not so clear about the 2017 one) had a big ghosting problem with the windshield so that's another thing to ask about.

It would help if you ask for a copy of the monronney sticker for both cars to clear some of the options btw. 100D might have the tow package too - it was standard with all cars for some time.

I owe you a beer you or something for your trouble. This literally has been invaluable.

In 2017, the “premium upgrades package” evolved throughout the year and sometimes includes different things. For example, I have a Sept 2017 build with the PUP, but I do not have premium sound, the subzero package, nor the towing package. I went back to the internet archives and found a Feb 2017 capture that showed alacarte options (outside of the PUP) as those things I just listed as well as 72 amp charging was also an option. There were also about 5 basic interior color/material options with one being a black textile. 7 seat configuration changed during the year, as did shiny vs matte seat backs.

In 2017, the “premium upgrades package” evolved throughout the year and sometimes includes different things. For example, I have a Sept 2017 build with the PUP, but I do not have premium sound, the subzero package, nor the towing package. I went back to the internet archives and found a Feb 2017 capture that showed alacarte options (outside of the PUP) as those things I just listed as well as 72 amp charging was also an option. There were also about 5 basic interior color/material options with one being a black textile. 7 seat configuration changed during the year, as did shiny vs matte seat backs.
My April 2017 build has the PUP - $4500, Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package - $2500, High Amp Charger - $1500, Tow Package - $750 and Subzero Weather Package - $1000. A lot of ala carte items back then. If I’m not mistaken, the PUP (at that time) included HEPA/Bioweapon Defense Mode, cornering lights, LED interior lighting, alcantara, self-presenting doors, and LED fogs.